• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HQ Quest Generator

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

HQ Quest Generator

Postby Patroclus » April 4th, 2014, 10:58 am

The map bellow is not an ordinary map, it’s generated automatically from a program with a press of a button. It is based on some statistics from the basic quests and on some monster tables for random encounters(viewtopic.php?f=165&t=1282). At first it can be used as a tool, because it exports an xml file for HeroScribe and it can be loaded to take the necessary changes (add traps, corridors, etc).

The idea comes from a thread of chaoticprime where he had posted a complete map and asked from the members to add the special events for the quest. Then I found that it was very easy to do it by just watching the rooms and the furniture.

I can also add the corridors to connect the rooms with random paths, but we should not forget that we love HQ because it’s not random. Everything should be placed for a reason, and even if I complete this tool it is recommended that the GM should do changes and reset everything as he want for the needs of his story.
Last edited by Patroclus on June 1st, 2014, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HQ Quest Generator

Postby Schmidt » April 4th, 2014, 11:06 am

I don't know if this is programmed or totally random, but shouldn't there be a "1 wall, 1 door" limit?(bottom right)

EDIT: and a "1 room, 1 door" rule. (The room to the left of the bottom right)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » April 4th, 2014, 11:30 am

It’s a bug. I still have to do a lot…

It’s not totally random. Every room has a 51% possibility to be connected with another room, and every group of connected rooms has 100% possibility to have an entrance and 50% to have an exit to it’s last room.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby StratosVX » April 4th, 2014, 11:48 am

I think it would be a great tool. I can see it easily helping to inspire quests or to give a layout someone may not have thought of.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » April 4th, 2014, 12:20 pm

Patroclus wrote:The map bellow is not an ordinary map, it’s generated automatically from a program with a press of a button. It is based on some statistics from the basic quests and on some monster tables for random encounters(viewtopic.php?f=165&t=1282). At first it can be used as a tool, because it exports an xml file for HeroScribe and it can be loaded to take the necessary changes (add traps, corridors, etc).

The idea comes from a thread of chaoticprime where he had posted a complete map and asked from the members to add the special events for the quest. Then I found that it was very easy to do it by just watching the rooms and the furniture.

I can also add the corridors to connect the rooms with random paths, but we should not forget that we love HQ because it’s not random. Everything should be placed for a reason, and even if I complete this tool it is recommended that the GM should do changes and reset everything as he want for the needs of his story.

I genuinely did think of asking you to do just this. I didn't want to get involved with something new here until I can be online more often (my keyboard and mouse are broke, and I'm saving up all of my money to pay KK back).

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby drathe » April 4th, 2014, 12:34 pm

A very promising program.

Recommendations:
  • Ability to enter limits of each piece. (i.e. doors, orcs, cupboards) Then the GM can create a random quest using what limited pieces they have.
  • Limit the amount of possible closed doors on the board at a given time. (We only have so many closed doors, if Heroes go exploring the corridors before entering rooms, there may be a problem.)

I see the possibility to enter the number of monsters (# of each type), furniture, secret doors, etc. for the purpose of randomly generating a quest that contains all the same pieces of a quest the Heroes may have failed. This will allow GMs to quickly create an alternate map when the Heroes try again.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Maike05 » April 4th, 2014, 3:38 pm

So far i like it keep up the good work !

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Patroclus » April 4th, 2014, 4:29 pm

drathe wrote:A very promising program.

Recommendations:
  • Ability to enter limits of each piece. (i.e. doors, orcs, cupboards) Then the GM can create a random quest using what limited pieces they have.
  • Limit the amount of possible closed doors on the board at a given time. (We only have so many closed doors, if Heroes go exploring the corridors before entering rooms, there may be a problem.)

I see the possibility to enter the number of monsters (# of each type), furniture, secret doors, etc. for the purpose of randomly generating a quest that contains all the same pieces of a quest the Heroes may have failed. This will allow GMs to quickly create an alternate map when the Heroes try again.

Yes, it’s a good idea… I should make it as an option, but for now I have to make the corridors first which is tough.

About the encounters, now it’s just some monster tables and for each room it rolls a 1d12 (as in AHQ) to choose one. Also, the map is separated in 5 regions the FIRSTQUARTER (upper-left), SECONDQUARTER (upper-right), THIRDQUARTER (bottom-left), FOURTHQUARTER (bottom-right), CENTER. And you can choose for each region one of the following tables, or maybe you choose to give the same table to all regions. The good about monster tables is that you can add as many as you want(I will make an option for custom monsters, etc. I can put every monster of heroscribe), and you can leave the same tables for many-many quests, and each time you will face a different experience (maybe easier- maybe harder). If you put a fixed amount of orcs for example, you will know exactly how hard it will be, which is good, but you have to change it all the time for each map or else you’ll have exactly the same experience.

GREENSKINS = "Goblin(1)/Orc(1)/Goblin(2)/Goblin(4)/Goblin(4)Orc(1)/Orc(3)/Fimir(1)/Zombie(2)/Skeleton(3)/ChaosWarrior(1)/Mummy(1)/ChaosWarrior(2)/"
UNDEAD = "Skeleton(1)/Zombie(1)/Skeleton(2)/Skeleton(4)/Skeleton(4)Zombie(1)/Zombie(3)/Mummy(1)/Zombie(2)/Skeleton(3)/ChaosWarrior(1)/Mummy(1)/Mummy(2)/"
CHAOS = "Goblin(3)/Orc(2)/Orc(4)/Orc(4)/ChaosWarrior(2)/Goblin(4)ChaosWarrior(1)/OgreWarrior(1)/Orc(3)ChaosWarrior(1)/ChaosWarrior(2)/ChaosWarrior(3)/Orc(2)ChaosSorcerer(1)/Gargoyle(1)/"
OGRES = "Orc(1)/Orc(2)/Orc(4)/Orc(4)/Goblin(4)/Goblin(3)Orc(2)/OgreWarrior(1)Orc(2)/OgreWarrior(2)/OgreChampion(1)/Fimir(3)/OgreChieftain(1)/ChaosWarrior(2)/"

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » April 4th, 2014, 7:15 pm

If you go by my difficulty-attribution *lemony goodness*, a standard challenge for a room to have would be 4 EVP of monsters.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Patroclus » April 5th, 2014, 12:02 am

chaoticprime wrote:If you go by my difficulty-attribution *lemony goodness*, a standard challenge for a room to have would be 4 EVP of monsters.

Yes, I’ve read your thread. It could make some random generating tables and will help a lot. I want to see some examples of encounters with multiple monsters and the same EVP.

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Project Forge