• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

3d Hero Quest & Mordheim project

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

3d Hero Quest & Mordheim project

Postby Nychthemeron » February 7th, 2014, 9:29 am

Hello, everyone!

I thought to post some images of my current project, which is to make modular 3d-pieces that can be used for a (experimental, uncontroversial) form of Hero Quest and also for "Necropolis Campaign" in Mordheim. Most of these pieces I've made this far are made from styrofoam and cellular foam. There are some bits and pieces from Warhammer terrain (Garden of Morr, later maybe Witchfate Tor too) added in. Idea is that all of the following pieces, including elevated sections and walls are modular and can be moved for a different array. I wanted to experiment a different style of making a 3d-map for Hero Quest than the Hirst molds which seem like a popular choice.

Gargoyle watcher over the necropolis

More images coming soon!
Nychthemeron

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: 3d Hero Quest & Mordheim project

Postby Sjeng » February 7th, 2014, 12:39 pm

Hi, and welcome to the Inn!

Looking forward to your HQ project pictures :D
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Nychthemeron » February 7th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Thanks!

Here's a larger overview of the same part of the modular

Dwarf and Elf - and some portable tunnel pieces that may connect larger platforms
Nychthemeron

Hero:

Postby Thantos » February 8th, 2014, 6:13 am

Reminds me of a dungeon in TES Oblivion game :D Great stuff. How many tiles will there be?
http://www.zealotminiatures.com
Models. Plastic Injection. Resin Casting. High Res 3D Printing . Macro 3D Scanning .

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges.
Thantos

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Nychthemeron » February 8th, 2014, 9:44 am

Hi, and thanks, Thantos!

I don't yet have a definite number of tiles planned. I was just thinking of doing some and seeing what seems to be enough. There won't be as many as in most Hirst mold -styled 3d-dungeons, however, as I'm using a thing I've dubbed "the spotlight method". This essentially means that the heroes will only perceive their closest surroundings, and that the terrain behind them actually disappears when they move on. This has two basic advantages: 1) You will be able to re-use many of your tiles as the group moves on, and don't need a monstrous arsenal of tiles, 2) If the adventurers are not careful, they might actually get lost in the larger dungeons! Mapping would be adviced, especially since my maps will not follow the traditional Hero Quest board pattern (although the old quests will be transferred).

I've got four of those 8x3 tunnel pieces ready. Might do a half dozen more at some point to make sure there's enough. One big square base you see as the floor of the overview. One elevated section (11x9 in size, 3 + 2 in height). One porticulis-slash-bridge section (10x2 in size, 5 in height), four stairways of different sizes. One smaller elevated section with stairs embedded to it (you'll see it in the next set of pictures). These are all self-made. In addition, various smaller walls, doors, gates, tombstones, mausoleums, crates, tables, shelves, kegs, barrels and whatnot from ready kits, including original Hero Quest.

I'm now working with a second large square base (similar to the one you already saw), and a larger elevated plateau (19x9 in size, 5 + 3 in height). It will bring the dungeon to the maximum heigh of 8 inches, which is supposed to be the "ground level" (most parts of the dungeon of course planned to happen underground). The color scheme will alter a bit here. The lower parts are quite dark, as they are meant to represent dim dungeons. The highest portion will be lighter gray, and may have some green growth in it. It's still underway, so I don't know how I manage to pull it off! :D

For the purposes of the planned "Necropolis campaign" of Mordheim, there will of course need to be a certain amount of ready terrain. I think I will make 3 or 4 of those big square boards total, and then see how many independent walls and elevated sections I still need to sufficiently fill the area. There won't likely be ruined buildings that are rather canon in Mordheim, but there will likely be some ruined walls, pillars, mausoleums and towers.

Here's some more shots, showing the connection between platforms. It neatly continues from the last image. The Dwarf and Elf have sprung an alert, and now the skeletons are massing to stop them!

An alert has been made and skeletons are rising from the graves!

Closer look of (an example of) joining the boards

Dwarf and Elf of the previous picture set would be just under the bottom stairs here
Nychthemeron

Hero:

Postby IvenBach » February 8th, 2014, 1:45 pm

Nychthemeron wrote:1) You will be able to re-use many of your tiles as the group moves on, and don't need a monstrous arsenal of tiles, 2) If the adventurers are not careful, they might actually get lost in the larger dungeons!

So long as your gamers know going in that they have to keep track it should be fine. I did that with D&D gaming sessions long time ago when we last played. They went through a dungeon with tons of branching hallways and came to a dead-end. Their response
Ok, we go back to the beginning and get some more supplies
. I just smiled at them and laughed. Lets just say they went down a few bad hallways and learned their lesson about making a map. Their mapmaking party member, a monk, help up a paper they player had been drawing on to show a tribal styled tattoo drawing and said he had a map. Anyways making maps is helpful and actively engages players in remembering and focusing on what's happened.

Looks really good so far and hope you can get plenty of gaming out of it.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Nychthemeron » February 13th, 2014, 8:23 am

Indeed, IvenBach. I like the idea of custom mapping, and the idea of the players risking getting lost in a larger maze. It's something that you rarely see in today's games.

Meanwhile, while planning bigger parts, here's some rock boulders fresh from the working bench. Which one would you prefer as your "falling rocks" trap, cardboard or foam?

Nychthemeron

Hero:

Postby chaoticprime » February 13th, 2014, 9:10 am

I have a coming commission for just such a thing as thing. Can you do rough schema for me?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby IvenBach » February 13th, 2014, 6:22 pm

Sarcasm: I dunno... Something about those tiles scream chic, if you know what I mean /Sarcasm
The main problem that I can envision about making 3D boards and such is transportation/storage. If, like me, you game at another players house it is a bother to take everything over.

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Nychthemeron » February 14th, 2014, 5:07 am

@chaoticprime: The color scheme is roughly following: primed black, layer or two of very dark gray drybrush, one light layer of lighter gray drybrush. One very, very light layer of white drybrush or highlight.

@Iven Bach: Yeah, I know what you mean. I don't know where I'm going to store this stuff when it's all ready. This big plateau-in-process is giving me shivers just when I'm thinking of having to transport it.
Nychthemeron

Hero:

Next

Return to Project Forge