• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

3D HeroQuest board

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Re: 3D HeroQuest board

Postby Sandman0077 » November 24th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Thank you all for the replies so far. Very helpful indeed.

My intent is to make the dungeon and walls look similar to the one done by Caveman over on the Hirst Art forums:

http://hirstarts.yuku.com/topic/1269/The-ever-popular-modular-fieldstone-dungeon?page=1#.UpIuq-KrEv0

His is not based on HQ, but I liked his wall design the most out of the one's I've seen. As far as the miniatures not fitting through the hallways, the Caveman walls are have 1" bases, but are only 3/4" thick, leaving that 1/4" to the corridors. If that is not enough room, then I suppose I will have to turn the miniatures sideways like I currently do. My future plans are to indeed make a modular board (I find it quite annoying to have to make room for the entire board, only to use 1/2 of it during a dungeon). Plus, I think the modular dungeon gives it more exploration appeal. However, my wife suggested that I start small and just try to get the basic board done before I start doing anything too complex, and I tend to agree.

I hadn't really considered the effects of the hallways getting longer due to the walls. Can anyone explain the cons to that? You say it's not compatible with the Quest maps, but what issue other than having to move your pieces further have you run into (My wife and I are only up to quest 7 of the base game, so we haven't experienced all of the different scenarios yet).

After several attempts to fix the 2x4 rooms and put a wall in between them, I came up with nothing and did what the others have done by merging them. With the modular version I plan to do, that will be solved.

Thanks again!
"The World is not beautiful, and that, in a way, lends it some beauty; Therefore it is."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Sandman0077

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby sajungzak » November 24th, 2013, 1:40 pm

I don't have my calculations any more, but I plan to make the room squares a little smaller (than 30mm) and the corridor ones a little bigger to make room for a gap where the wall should be. The gap will be 1/2 in. to fit HA doors. Might have to make really big squares or rectangles for intersections. Not tested and I'm sure I have a lot of fandangling with the exact measurements... but my printer is out of ink.
Thinking of making a completely printed version of the whole for my brother in law's Christmas present if I can't get a decent deal on ebay...

Edit* okay. After careful consideration, I am opting for 40 mm squares. Just the lines between rooms and corridors are walls. This would leave me open to adding thin walls the way MrBigB did his doors.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 24th, 2013, 4:03 pm

My modular board tiles have magnet-bottoms; I play them on a sheet of aluminum steel. Works perfectly, though I had to draw an outline of the board on the sheet.

The quests are designed for use with a particularly-sized board. You are adding something like six new horizontal squares, and I think four vertical. The game simply does not accommodate that, and fixing it as you play basically means one more niggling procedural detail. Not only will you double the time taken to reveal the layout by positioning walls, you will also have to mentally reconcile the map you play with, and all those new squares, as you do.

Walls are just too much of an ordeal. They'll take double the amount of plaster used for the floors. If you mold one wall segment, it will be a solid piece and weight twice what an assembled piece does. However, assembling individual wall pieces from single bricks was too much for me, and I was on amphetamines at the time.

Something else, is that all those Hirst Arts Heroquest boards also use the 1.5" square floor-tiles.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Sandman0077 » November 24th, 2013, 5:08 pm

I'm not too concerned with the additional time setting up the walls will add. Where the walls are going to go will be are gaps between the floor tiles, so the walls will just drop into the provided spaces. I'm going to make a lot of 2x1, 3x1, 4x1 etc wall sections so I just place in the door first and fill in the blanks with the wall sections, OR just set up all of the walls before the quest begins and swap out walls as we go. Not a problem for us.

The game simply does not accommodate that, and fixing it as you play basically means one more niggling procedural detail.

I'm still confused about what you mean by this. What is the issue exacting? Taking more time to move the miniatures around?

Also, the 1.5" tiles seemed massive to me, but I may do that on the modular one I do. The Hirst molds I have are 1" tiles.
"The World is not beautiful, and that, in a way, lends it some beauty; Therefore it is."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Sandman0077

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 24th, 2013, 5:43 pm

The issue is that the same squares are not in the same places. For all the good walls are going to do you, you may as well just put up the ceiling, too.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Sandman0077 » November 24th, 2013, 6:31 pm

chaoticprime wrote:The issue is that the same squares are not in the same places. For all the good walls are going to do you, you may as well just put up the ceiling, too.

Whoa, don't need an attitude. I'm just saying that if you are talking about traps and stuff like that, all I would need to do is align them with whatever room it is near. Yeah, it would take you more moves to get to a specific tile, but if the tile is aligned with the rooms, I don't see the issue.

Trap placement example:

I've already printed off the updated Quest book for the base game, but I may just go through and redo the maps to show the wall sections added, which would avoid any confusion. But the only people playing this are my wife and I, and eventually our son when he gets old enough.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Sandman0077

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 24th, 2013, 6:44 pm

If you're willing to change the maps to suit, then there's no problem. I'm just trying to warn you about how easily you can get burned out on this kind of thing when you realize you've spent a week working on casting walls, have spent a couple hundred bucks on supplies--which you are out of, and less than halfway done.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Sandman0077 » November 24th, 2013, 7:29 pm

I plan on doing all of the floor tiles first, doing the corridors, then moving on the the rooms, while in between sections doing some of the doors and chests and stuff. I'm saving the walls for last, that way we can at least play on the board without the walls and then just get them done and add them. I do appreciate the input from everyone so far though, and will take all of this into account from my next board. Off to Walmart to get more cork board. Should have that done in no time!

EDIT:
Finished cutting the cork:

Added the borders:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Sandman0077

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sandman0077 » November 27th, 2013, 7:41 pm

Whoo hoo! Got my Merlin's Magic in today. Still waiting on the Hirst molds, but everything is in place so I should be able to get started on the tiles as soon as they come in.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Sandman0077

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 28th, 2013, 12:58 am

Hirst stuff usually ships very quickly. I've ordered from him over a dozen times. It could be the holidays.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Project Forge