• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

3D HeroQuest board

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

3D HeroQuest board

Postby Sandman0077 » November 23rd, 2013, 10:00 pm

Hello all! Here with a project that will (hopefully) be as awesome as I've imagined it. I'm making a 3D version of the base game board, adding walls to the design. I will be utilizing Hirst Art molds for the majority of the project. I am also beefing up the tiles to 1", so as you can see below, with the walls and bigger tiles, this board is going to be massive! 36"x28" (plus a 1/4" border all around).

I tried to do this with pine wood before, but ran into an issue with that, so now I'm back to the cork board. Here is where I currently am with it:

This is how the board will be divided up (gray areas are walls):

Notice the size increase:

Newly cut cork board (Ran out of cork so that will be finished tomorrow):

I'm still waiting on the Hirst molds to come in. Tomorrow I'm finishing cutting out the board and will start gluing the boarder pieces down. I will update when I get all that done. Thanks for looking!
"The World is not beautiful, and that, in a way, lends it some beauty; Therefore it is."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Sandman0077

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: 3D HeroQuest board

Postby sajungzak » November 24th, 2013, 2:51 am

That's coming together nicely! I had a similar plan with 30mm tiles and thinner walls, but I scrapped the wall part in favor of a modular board.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 24th, 2013, 2:59 am

gallery/album.php?album_id=12&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&start=60

I've been down the HA route with this a couple of times. The above is my considerably-tested design for a modular board.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » November 24th, 2013, 4:20 am

I'm sure you have seen this:

Also, Daria, another Inn member from Florida, is selling her board:

Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby ampersand » November 24th, 2013, 6:58 am

the design itself looks very similar to the approach damien thevenin took with his heroquest reworking. http://www.damienthevenin.com/2012/05/02/heroquest-lepreuve-3/
people spotted a major flaw in it though. the corridoors (even with larger spaces) just arent wide enough to contain the 'big' monsters. with the walls blocking any possibility for the likes of the gargoyle or the ogres to move through. i wish you luck with your project. but thought i might point out a possible stumbling block that you may not of thought of until it comes to using it

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ampersand

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 24th, 2013, 7:15 am

I agree. You shouldn't step right smack in the middle of it. Trial and Error is the way to go, but you can avoid that particular one by making the walls 10 mm thick at most. That will leave almost a third of an inch at each side to actually move something in the rooms. Otherwise it will be too narrow, though that might depend on how high you plan your walls to be.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » November 24th, 2013, 8:44 am

This is on my to do list, it will probably have to wait until I retire!!

How do you get around the problem with the dividing wall between the two 2x3 rooms?
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » November 24th, 2013, 9:16 am

Hey, good question, I never even noticed both projects I posted about cheated on that one :P
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » November 24th, 2013, 12:39 pm

My modular board is currently the result of my third attempt to make one right. My modular tiles now fit perfectly together if cut out accurately.

There is only one way you can do it right:

Each square that makes up a walled-edge, has 1/2 of the wall's width intrude into it.

That super spangly HQ board uses a full square to space walls, but this lengthens hallways making the set incompatible with the Quest maps.

The point of building a modular board is to be able to use it exactly as if you weren't. If you have to make on-the-fly changes, you just created a constant pain in the ass instead of a cool-ass modular game board.

The Daria's husband (who I can only assume is named Trent or Tom) board is actually the better of those above, because the spaces align. However, it uses full-width walls against full-width walls, which results in the need for spacing additions being placed on the corners and intersections.

What I did was increase the size of each square (I reduced the size of some trappings so that boot laying around wasn't freaking huge) to 3cm. I also do not use erect walls, because they're just not fun at all, ever. They may look cool, but playing with them absolutely sucks. I made 3mm cubes into "end-caps" to represent single and double-blocked squares.

I spent a couple months figuring this all out.
Last edited by chaoticprime on November 24th, 2013, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » November 24th, 2013, 12:54 pm

Sjeng wrote:Hey, good question, I never even noticed both projects I posted about cheated on that one :P

The individual room tiles I uploaded are not quite correct, but all of these cut-sheets are. The tiny rooms issue is just a matter of having the right width barriers.

Because mine are paper-craft, I was able to set every tile to be a precise dimension. I then added the walled edges where needed, but then re-sized the image back down to actual length. This makes any squares not joined with a wall subtly larger or longer. This same effect can be achieved with plaster bricks only by overlapping the walls (as described).

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Project Forge