• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Online Card Maker

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Online Card Maker

Postby EldritchGamer » October 2nd, 2012, 8:43 am

EDIT: The latest version of this tool can be found here: http://imperialvault.co.uk/DeckSmith/EditCard.html

I'm new here - hello!

I'm working on a FREE online tool that lets you make cards for Warhammer Quest & HeroQuest.
The idea is that you fill in a couple of fields (the card title, description etc) and choose the art for the card front/back and for the monster or item the card is about.
As you change the information, a preview of the card is updated, allowing you to see the effects of your changes.

When you're finished, you hit export, and the card you are working on is created as a PDF document that can be printed. Simples!

I have a very basic prototype up and running - including the live preview and exporting to PDF for printing - but really have no talent when it comes to art, digital or otherwise.

What I would really like is two things:
  • Some donations of art work to the project (from card fronts/backs to items, treasure, monsters and so on) - there seem to be tons of talented artists on this forum, and much of the artwork would benefit both games. I didn't want to steal any art without permission, and newly created art is also very welcome. I will of course provide credits to the original artists.
  • Also, if anyone has any ideas for other things the utility can do, I'd love to know your thoughts!

Oh, and I should definitely mention that the tool will be freely available online for everyone. Perhaps the HeroQuest version of the tool could be posted on Ye Olde Inn, if the owners are interested.

I'm personally going to use the tool to make a new Gargoyle card, the only part missing from the copy of HeroQuest set I bought in a car-boot sale for £1!

Looking forward to your thoughts, any and all contributions are welcome!

Cheers
Last edited by EldritchGamer on December 21st, 2012, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
EldritchGamer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Online Card Maker

Postby knightkrawler » October 2nd, 2012, 3:09 pm

I'm looking forward to a really good card creator.
That would be awesome.

Welcome on board, my man.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby EldritchGamer » October 5th, 2012, 8:50 am

I might PM a few of the folk here who have posted images to see if I can drum up some support/permission. I'm having some fun converting the existing prototype to work in any browser, after that comes different types of card... I hope to have a HeroQuest version (maybe for treasure or equipment cards) working in the next week or so.

The massive card project you guys have started sounds like it could use a convenient way of creating the cards after all the translations have finished.

I'd love some feedback on what people think it should do.. once I've got the basics nailed down, hopefully I'll want to make it more useful!
EldritchGamer

Hero:

Postby torilen » October 5th, 2012, 9:15 am

Very nice. That sounds like something I would use. My only option thus far is creating cards
in MS powerpoint and saving them as PDF's. Very time consuming, though, as working with
powerpoint can be, at times.

And aren't you a saint, offering it free. If only there were more people who would offer things
for free. :) Thank you very much for that.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Von Necron » October 5th, 2012, 4:20 pm

My only suggestion to what the tool can do is this, what ever the format is it should have a template of where to insert the cards so that when printing starts it can be double sided. My printer takes card stock but does not print on both sides so I have to flip the page and make sure the back side image is aligned correctly. I've been able to save word templates and succeed at this. I would love a card making program but if I can't make legit looking doublesided cards I wouldn't use it.
Von Necron

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby EldritchGamer » October 5th, 2012, 5:45 pm

@torilen: This should be easier than Powerpoint, so long as your happy to pick from whatever library of formats & artwork I can scrape together!
I'm a software developer by trade, and I make use of free and open source software on a daily basis. Why shouldn't my favourite board games benefit when I decide to 'give back'? :-D

@Von Necron: Capital idea! This is my first foray into print, but that is going straight onto my TODO list!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it
EldritchGamer

Hero:

Postby Daedalus » October 5th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Do you plan to make all of the cards available with this (ex. Spell cards from the expansions and Equipment cards)? What about the smaller scrolls and artifacts? Maybe those should be offered in small and larger sizes.

One thing I'd like is an optional field on the monster cards for homebrew information. Another would be an optional place on the Spell Cards for a spell point cost.

As for Warhammer Quest, any cards that convert tables and charts to a deck of cards would be awesome. It sure would be nice to not have to flip through the pages for things like town events.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 6th, 2012, 1:46 am

For Spell cards I'd need a space at the bottom for a single number (the cost, as Daedalus already suggested).
One line - original font - at the top, directly underneath a line for a smaller font on all cards.

Hard to specify.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby EldritchGamer » October 9th, 2012, 3:03 am

@Daedalus: I don't currently plan to convert all of the cards myself and make them available, but am happy to collect the results of what people do create and make them available. I'll probably make a couple of decks though.
What I will try to do is compile a list of the different card 'formats' and convert them into what the card maker needs so that eventually a user can make any kind of card.

It seems perfectly reasonable to have two different sizes of equipment cards if that's what is needed, and similarly a notes field on monster cards and a field for the cost on spell cards are also easy enough to add.

With regard to Warhammer Quest, that was my original motivation for making the tool was to make all the custom town events, traps, monsters etc available on my website as physical cards for my games. It is way quicker to take cards than it is to constantly roll on tables!

@Knightkrawler - not sure what you mean. Is that in addition to the fields you find on all cards, so that it kinda squeezes in above the item picture (for example)?
EldritchGamer

Hero:

Postby EldritchGamer » December 11th, 2012, 10:23 am

Right, a quick update: after wrestling with Real Life, the vagaries of old versions of Internet Explorer and so on, I have a small prototype card editor on my website.

The URL for the HeroQuest version card editor is: http://imperialvault.co.uk/DeckSmith/EditCardHQ.html.

You can do the following:
Changing the text in the text boxes results in the image in the preview area being updated
Click export to have a PDF of your card created. This can be saved and printed normally.

This is way off being complete, I need to add the following in the near future:
Changing the item image (currently hard-coded) - any stock art welcome!
Selecting card back image (e.g. teasure cards have lots of gold on the back)
Getting the card scaled correctly for printing
Crop lines in the PDF

Have a play and let me know what you think!
EldritchGamer

Hero:

Next

Return to Project Forge