• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Card Text Project

Have a HeroQuest related project and need community assistance? Create a thread about your project here and the type of aid you require. Other community members searching this room may be able to assist, or join you on your adventure.

Card Text Project

Postby drathe » February 12th, 2012, 1:18 am

We have a project we've been working on and are ready to gather community help to complete. We are filing in a spreadsheet (link below) with all the card titles and text from all language releases. We would also like to fill in translations for languages that didn't receive certain card sets. From these translations, we will make cards to host on the homepages.

Once we receive translations for all the cards in a set, (a set being, for example, all the Artifact cards from Frozen Horror, or all the High Mage Spells from Wizards of Morcar) we will use the translations to make these cards. Translated card sets will be hosted on the homepages for all to enjoy.

If you happen to find any typos, or can provide better translations, please post them. If you have a set of cards that is missing, scans would be great too. ;) We're always looking to fill in missing resources on the homepages as well. ;)

Should this project work out well, we will do the same for Quest Books.

Accessible and editable through Google Docs. Click the links below to open in a full window. Or edit the embedded version below (which isn't ideal depending on your browser).
Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... VdwS0xYM0E
Card Backs, Images and Templates folder: https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B3JQ6 ... NXd2s/edit

Last edited by drathe on October 6th, 2013, 2:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: attachment removed. file converted to google docs. embedded window added.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Card Text Project

Postby Goblin-King » February 12th, 2012, 6:55 am

Do you also need translations of the already translated cards (Game system etc.) or just from the cards that were never translated (Frozen Horror etc.)?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby gravaillon » February 12th, 2012, 8:02 am

Is it my french frozen horror who has unleashed this project ?
Anyway, very good idea drathe, count on me for french translation !
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » February 12th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Do you also need translations of the already translated cards (Game system etc.)

Only for the ones that are presently missing*. We haven't been able to get scans for all languages yet. :(

Goblin-King wrote:or just from the cards that were never translated (Frozen Horror etc.)?

We definitely would like these translated. :D

gravaillon wrote:Is it my french frozen horror who has unleashed this project ?

The idea for having all the resources translated as been around since Ye Olde Inn took over for Agin's Inn. The project officially began in October 2011. (We made it known in a remote thread later that month viewtopic.php?f=143&t=957&p=8616&hilit=card+translation#p8616) However, the activity of cards being translated (Ελληνικά Μάγια τον Χάους (Chaos Spells) by Idomeneas, Ελληνικά Frozen Horror cards by Demer, Français Sortilèges du Chaos by Maike05, Frozen Horror remaster by gravaillon and interest in the project by Goblin-King) has pushed us to finally go public and get this project completed.

*SPECIAL REQUEST for Ελληνικά community members who have the Ελληνικά game system:
It is extremely difficult and time consuming for us to fill in the Ελληνικά sections of game system cards. We have no way to actually type in Ελληνικά. We can only copy/pasting each letter. If you have some free time, please post the text for these cards in Ελληνικά using the format in the first post of this thread. Then we can easily copy the entire Ελληνικά text and paste it onto the spreadsheet. Thank you.

|_P

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby gravaillon » February 12th, 2012, 2:33 pm

it's a very interesting project ! I have also wanted to translate all the Quest books and cards to french, so I will do that !
Can also send you the box I have made in a french format for all expansions.

Are you also interested in having the advanced heroquest material ? I have just finish the translation of the rule book, in a format A5 like the others books for heroquest, to fit well in a collection. I will also translate the white dwarf archive and the terror in the dark expansion set.
See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » February 12th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Just installed Office... Actually being able to see the document helps a lot... :oops:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » February 12th, 2012, 2:57 pm

gravaillon wrote:Are you also interested in having the advanced heroquest material ?

We are not. Games Workshop is very strict when it comes to their sole Intellectual Properties. We don't want to take that risk.

gravaillon wrote:Can also send you the box I have made in a french format for all expansions

Never thought about the boxes before. Awesome idea! That would be great. We may be able to do the same for all the other languages too.

Goblin-King wrote:Just installed Office... Actually being able to see the document helps a lot... :oops:

Sorry about that. A spreadsheet seemed to be the most idea way to complete this project. Excel is the only one we had when we started.

Rewards:
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » February 13th, 2012, 1:15 pm

Gaah! Some titles sound stupid in Danish!
Anyway... A couple of questions arose:

Would you rather have the translations as accurate as possible, or have them modified to sound a little more "real".

Also: Should I continue the style of writing from the original translated cards? Like using definite article in titles. In English it's "Genie" (Ånd) but in Danish it's "The Genie" (Ånden).
Am I making sense?

And finally, should I use Morcar instead of Zargon, since there is no Zargon in the Danish version.

EDIT:
about the Broadsword... The original Danish card is actually translated wrong. It allows the player to roll three combat dice in DEFENCE! :p
Shouldn't we correct this?

Sværdet
Sværdet giver dig lov til at kaste 3 kampterninger i et angreb. Pris: 250 guldmønter Må IKKE anvendes af Troldmanden. VÅBEN
Last edited by Goblin-King on February 13th, 2012, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » February 13th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Make the Evil One unique to the Danish version. :)

jm2centavos
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » February 13th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Goblin-King wrote:Would you rather have the translations as accurate as possible, or have them modified to sound a little more "real"...In English it's "Genie" (Ånd) but in Danish it's "The Genie" (Ånden).

They should be the way the Danish would prefer them to be. Use your best judgment.

Goblin-King wrote:And finally, should I use Morcar instead of Zargon, since there is no Zargon in the Danish version.

I would make it Morcar. Staying consistent with previous releases in Danish.

Goblin-King wrote:about the Broadsword... The original Danish card is actually translated wrong. It allows the player to roll three combat dice in DEFENCE! :p Shouldn't we correct this?

We can add corrections, sure. They can be posted as a separate file below the scans, marking them as Corrected Cards.

Rewards:
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Project Forge