Forum Update +

Gather your Heroes for Play-by-Post adventures here. Posting in this room does not count toward your posting rank.
Forum rules
Use this area for gathering and playing Play-by-Post games. They need not be HeroQuest, but all games are still subject to the rules of the Ye Olde Inn forum. Posts in this room will not count toward your posting rank.

Note: There are no Quick Reply boxes in this forum. They have been disabled due to incompatibility with the Dice feature this forum uses.

Re: Forum Update +

Postby Patroclus » Tuesday September 5th, 2017 12:07pm

I don’t like the idea of “read only state” because it will be confusing for new members. They will get in from a google search, see that it’s dead and when they see that they can’t post anything then they’ll leave. But if it’s impossible then we should accept it. The choice is yours.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Forum Update +

Postby QorDaq » Tuesday September 5th, 2017 1:02pm

It appears that Option 2 will give us a solid archive if I'm understanding all of this correctly? Also, is there anything in the new Forum option which prohibits newer DiceMod functionality? In other words, would it be possible at some point in the future to add a new Dice roller of some description? Same with awards and similar?

As to the migration of gallery items... That seems like it could be a project-over-time sort of endeavor that perhaps the community could assist with in some way, like breaking the work into more manageable chunks and assign them (on a volunteer basis) to those interested in assisting? Or something like that? I know nothing about forum structure, so I don't know how feasible that would be or how it would work, but if it's as simple as Downloading pieces of art and re-uploading them from scratch, I'll bet a volunteer army could be set to task? Or am I way off base with that assessment?

And, on the point of folks coming over to the olde site and being discouraged, would it not be possible to put up a splash page that lets visitors know that both sites exist before they get into the boards themselves? A little brief text and links that direct them to the archive or the active forum depending on their needs?

I don't know, again, I'm not a computer person by nature and I don't have the tech background to know what is or isn't possible from the back-end, but I am familiar enough with this community to know that folks will be willing to help if it's feasible.

Let me know what you need drathe, if it's within my meager abilities I'll gladly pitch in. Like MitchieMasha, I consider myself to be a lifer at this point, I may not post all the time, but I visit pretty much daily.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Play-by-Post Game Room