• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Melee Tournament

Gather your Heroes for Play-by-Post adventures here. Posting in this room does not count toward your posting rank.
Forum rules
Use this area for gathering and playing Play-by-Post games. They need not be HeroQuest, but all games are still subject to the rules of the Ye Olde Inn forum. Posts in this room will not count toward your posting rank.

Note: There are no Quick Reply boxes in this forum. They have been disabled due to incompatibility with the Dice feature this forum uses.

Re: Melee Tournament

Postby Gold Bearer » May 11th, 2014, 10:04 am

Broadsword attack:
Gold Bearer rolled 3 6-sided dice:
3, 4, 6

Sir Rangnar defends the first attack:
Gold Bearer rolled 4 6-sided dice:
2, 2, 6, 2

Sir Rangnar defends the second attack:
4, 1, 6, 1
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Road Warrior » May 11th, 2014, 4:30 pm

Ragnar finds himself completely bewildered by the Eldron's multiple moves and attacks. However when the wardancer finally stops moving Ragnar appears to have picked up no more than a minor wound.

Sir Ragnar
Att: :skull: :skull: :skull:
Def: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:
Body: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :greyheart: :greyheart:
Last edited by The Road Warrior on May 11th, 2014, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » May 11th, 2014, 4:32 pm

Sir Ragnar

'Let's end this Eldron. Stand still so I can hit you!'

Sir Ragnar attacks
The Road Warrior rolled 3 6-sided dice:
5, 3, 6

Eldron Defends
The Road Warrior rolled 1 6-sided dice:

Movement
The Road Warrior rolled 2 6-sided dice:
5, 1

Eldron Leafsting
Att: :skull: :skull: :skull: + :skull: :skull:
Def: roll one die for every skull the attacker rolled, if any of them are white shields you dodge the attack.
Body: :redheart: :redheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart:

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » May 11th, 2014, 4:36 pm

Round 9
Sir Itos - yielded to Eldron Leafsting
Att: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:
Body: :redheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart:
excess white shields rolled in defence are returned to the attacker as damage. This may be defended against normally
Eldron Leafsting
Def: roll one die for every skull the attacker rolled, if any of them are white shields you dodge the attack.
Body: :redheart: :redheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart:
Kili Thekkrson - yielded to Sir Lucien Hammershield
Att: :skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:
Def: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:
Body: :redheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart:
May go berserk on his turn rolling +1 attack and -1 defence. This lasts until the beginning of his next turn.
Thorik Blackblood - Yielded to Eldron Leafsting
Att: :skull: :skull: (Spear)
Sir Lucien Hammershield - Yielded to Eldron Leafsting
Sir Ragnar
Body: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :greyheart: :greyheart:
Godric Longbeard - Yielded to Eldron Leafsting
Att: :skull: :skull: (Staff)
Def: :whiteshield: :whiteshield: :whiteshield:

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » May 11th, 2014, 5:12 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
Sotiris wrote:And i thought that i killed you. 1 :whiteshield: dodges the whole attack!!
So the more sculls the attacker rolls the easier you defend it. :roll:
Yep. The more powerful the strike the easier it is to dodge but the more it hurts if you get hit.

Yes, it hurts more if you are hit by more skulls and fail to get a white shield. Same goes for any defender who fails to get any white shields. The penalty for the Wardancer's defense is against fewer hits, since he throws fewer Defend Dice against them. Nickle and diming him is the way to go. As Ragnar knows, he stands a better chance with 1 less Attack Die. He's a calculating SOB.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » May 12th, 2014, 2:55 am

I really enjoyed the tournament and i'm looking forward to the next (with mage's too).
I believe it's better to give full equipment to heroes (with 2-handed penalty & limited quarrels on crossbows). Give them an amount of gold to buy whatever they want.
For example, against the Wardancer i would use a short sword or thrown daggers instead of the battle axe.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » May 13th, 2014, 4:48 am

Movement:
6, 2, 2
6S and attack:
6, 4, 1
Sir Ragnar defends:
3, 2, 4, 1
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » May 13th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Sir Ragnar

'Stay down elf, the word your looking for is YIELD!''

Sir Ragnar Attacks
The Road Warrior rolled 3 6-sided dice:
5, 1, 2

Eldron defends
The Road Warrior rolled 2 6-sided dice:
2, 6

Sir Ragnar lands a solid blow on Eldron's head. The result of this is quite messy. As the crowd erupts into cheers of "RAGNAR! RAGNAR!" the knight approaches the Lord to offer his apologies for killing a man on the tourney field.
"I beg your forgiveness my Lord, it seems I do not know my own strength"
"Never fear Sir Ragnar" replies the Lord, "Everyone who steps into a melee knows the risk they taking. Eldron Leafsting fought well and died a brave death. Now someone bring the champion some wine."

Eldron Leafsting
Body: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart: :greyheart:

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » May 13th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Round 10

Results & Rewards
  1. Sir Ragnar
    • Champion
    • Won 200 gold
  2. Eldron Leafsting
    • Forced Thorik Blackblood to yield
    • Forced Godric Longbeard to yield
    • Forced Sir Lucien Hammershield to yield
    • Forced Sir Itos to yield
    • Slain by Sir Ragnar
    • Won 80 gold
  3. Sir Itos
    • Yielded to Eldron Leafsting
  4. Sir Lucien Hammershield
    • Forced Kili Thekkrson to yield
    • Won 20 gold
  5. Godric Longbeard
  6. Kili Thekkrson
    • Yielded to Sir Lucien Hammershield
  7. Thorik Blackblood

Sotiris wrote:I really enjoyed the tournament...(with mage's too).

Thanks for playing, I enjoyed it too. I'm hoping it will work well as a random settlement encounter for Heroes to play through between quests. It offers them a chance to win a bit of extra money but there is also the risk of dying. Of course if the Heroes fail to win anything it will end up costing them money as they have to pay to regain their BP/MP/Spells. But that is one of my main aims in writing the roleplay book (wasting players' money so they don't max out as quickly ;) )
Sotiris wrote:...and i'm looking forward to the next (with mage's too).

I could be tempted to run another one of these with wizard's & crossbows allowed if there is enough interest.
Sotiris wrote:I believe it's better to give full equipment to heroes (with 2-handed penalty & limited quarrels on crossbows). Give them an amount of gold to buy whatever they want.
For example, against the Wardancer i would use a short sword or thrown daggers instead of the battle axe.

If I run another one of these tournaments I could maybe allow players to roll a random amount of gold to buy equipment with instead. Allowing you to roll random Att/Def scores was just an extra test of the system I put in place for Morcar to create his knights. I was actually quite please you got Att: 4, Def: 4 as it showed the system works. I was also a little annoyed that Thorik and Lucien got such low scores but that's what you get with random systems!
I also feel a little guilty that Ragnar won as I cheated by just adding him instead of using a random character. but not that guilty ;)

Sir Itos
On paper I thought his skill was really OP and was going to cause me lots of trouble. As it turned out it only got used once in the whole tournament so I was a little disappointed. I guess as he gets more equipment it will come into play more and of course monsters will very rarely be able to avoid it by attacking diagonally ;) (or maybe he will be equipped with a diagonally attacking weapon).

Wardancer
I'm not a fan of how many different skills this character has. I prefer to limit characters to one skill each but that is just personal choice and I understand that you have created a lot of characters.
Daedalus wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:
Sotiris wrote:And i thought that i killed you. 1 :whiteshield: dodges the whole attack!!
So the more sculls the attacker rolls the easier you defend it. :roll:
Yep. The more powerful the strike the easier it is to dodge but the more it hurts if you get hit.

Yes, it hurts more if you are hit by more skulls and fail to get a white shield. Same goes for any defender who fails to get any white shields. The penalty for the Wardancer's defense is against fewer hits, since he throws fewer Defend Dice against them. Nickle and diming him is the way to go. As Ragnar knows, he stands a better chance with 1 less Attack Die. He's a calculating SOB.

Yep, I worked this one out very early on (I ran a few playtests with this character before we begun). I really like this rule. Goblins, Skeletons and Zombies will too.

Duel wielding is something I am vary wary of adding to the game. I created a quest treasure in 'Dealing with Death' that allowed a Hero to attack twice with 3 combat dice. I really regretted this when play testing this quest pack and tried to tone it down in the QP notes by clarifying that a Hero must either move then attack twice OR attack twice then move. Eldron pretty much cleared up in this game and I think this was mainly down to his duel attacks. Maybe I shouldn't have given him that broadsword :!:

Thanks for playing.

Rewards:
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » May 14th, 2014, 1:33 am

As a crowdwatcher, I had a great time watching this. Too bad one of the heroes died :? But anyway, great tournament! |_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Play-by-Post Game Room