• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

JoeC's Rumble in the D

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Re: JoeC's Rumble in the D

Postby joec » November 1st, 2010, 10:26 am

After a Friday night Halloween bash at the home of Barbara the Barbarian, hangovers and exhaustion stood in the way of HeroQuest, but they were sliced down for one quest - Quest 8 - "The Fire Mage". Pics are few, because well, we forgot to really chronicle this adventure.

The Heroes got themselves a new look. From left to right, KSteel the Dwarf, Oankh the Wizard, Carrie the Elf, and Barbara the Barbarian.

The Heroes proceeded down the hallway and came face to face with Balur, the Fire Mage and his four skeleton minions. After a Ball of Flame to Barbara's face, Balur used his escape spell, and the Heroes headed through his lair to find him.

While a little blurry, the Heroes learned the horrors of always searching for treasure. Here, they fought a Fimir who came out of the shadows to attack.

The Heroes started a sweep of all rooms before working back to the secret door they had found, coming to a dead end. They backtracked, still looking for the elusive Balur.

Here, they have found him, and his undead minions! Barbara and KSteel attack a zombie, before the team charged into Balur's study. They quickly attacked the undead while KSteel went after Balur. KSteel was held fast by a Tempest spell. As the Heroes sent the mummies and zombies back to the underworld, Balur ran!

Here we see the Heroes in hot persuit, as Balur hurled spells at them. Soon, he fell, and the Heroes went in search of any last remaining monsters. Around the corner, they found their way to retrieve the Wand of Magic, which is currently in the hands of the Elf.

Carrie the Elf made us a delicious Chocolate eclair cake, and I'll have to get pics of it and post the recipe, because I know how you all love that kind of thing. Questing went well, and we have next Saturday set for another adventure!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby ken » November 1st, 2010, 11:03 am

Great pics, if a little blurred, too much Juniper Juice?? Thinking of asking El_Flesh to jet in to provide finger buffet for our first East Anglian Sunday Morning get-together.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » November 1st, 2010, 1:21 pm

WAHOOOO!!!! (not only to the jet idea - if you're paying, I'm coming for sure!)

What a great quest pix! So happy to hear you did it on Hollow Bean weekend!
Some questions:
1) Did you all dress up?
2) Like in 'Rocky Horror'?
3) Post pix of THAT?
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby joec » November 1st, 2010, 2:19 pm

Lol. No dressing up, since we all did the previous night. I'll see if it's okay with them to post pics of the costumes.

Rewards:
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby joec » November 8th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Another Saturday night session!

After last week's session, the Heroes were itching to go, and after a bit of pizza, they dove in. This week's first quest: Return to Grak's Fortress. Because they didn't kill Grak and the Wizard didn't get the Wizard's cloak, this needed to happen, and when they heard this was a homebrew quest, I heard them cringe. What horrors would they encounter?

Here you can see them investigating the hallway, searching for traps. Barbara the Barbarian already forged ahead, heading toward the center of the board.

Here they are turning a corner, after disarming a couple traps and heading towards the heart of the board. The great thing this week was that Oankh (W) and Carrie (E) took a lot more initiative with their lower hit points and went after a number of powerful monsters, like some fimir and Chaos Warriors. As you can see, Oankh (W) is leading the way, armed with her new Wand of Magic. Good for her!

In this photo, the meatshields pushed past the magic-wielding women and KSteel (D) has already dropped an Orc. Here, they prepare to storm into the room and take on the Orc and Fimir in lethal combat.

They took out the Orc, and all ganged up on the Fimir. If you compare the quest PDF I linked to in the beginning and compare it to the photo, you can see KSteel (D) standing where a trap was. I got so caught up in the fight, that I forgot about it. Whoops.

Here we see Oankh's player with the team's mascot, Boston, who really wanted to get in on the fight.

The Heroes slaughtered the Fimir, and then turned around to head to the center room where a few Orcs and a Fimir were plotting their next trade route attack. The Heroes took a number of rounds to kill the monsters, then continued past their old holding cell, into the room where their stolen equipment was once placed. They quickly dispatched the sleeping orc.

Here, however, they encountered a wandering Fimir, which they ended up doing several times in this quest. It really made them re-think searching for treasure, which was fun for me to see. Oankh (W) was quite masterful with her staff, taking down a monster each time she was able to connect.

After exploring the whole board, they couldn't find Grak. It became a room by room sweep, searching for secret doors, and eventually, they found themselves back in the rack room.

Here, they found the secret door, and Barbara quickly dispatched the hatchet-carrying Goblin, and the Heroes pressed on.

Here (a bit blurry, sorry), The Heroes found Grak and his guardians. Barbara stepped in and began to take out Orcs, eaving Grak for the others to dispatch. KSteel (D) charged in, going toe to toe wiht Grak, while Oankh (W) hit Grak with Tempest and Ball of Flame (for one point of damage). Carrie (E) fired her crossbow as well, taking Grak down lower in health. Soon, they had toppled their one-time captor and were able to leave with a Wizard's Cloak in hand.

The Heroes wanted to keep going (despite the Red Wings game now coming on TV), and they continued to Quest 9: Race Against Time.

The Heroes systematically went to each room to take out the monsters, then cambe back to this first room to find the secret door.

The Heroes dispatched the two goblins they encountered, but had quite the tussle with the Chaos Warrior, but soon he fell. They pressed on cautiously, encountering yet another Fimir from a bad Treasure search.

See?

The Heroes continued on, finding 200 gold, and then the secret door. They worked hard in cramped spaces to fight and kill the Chaos Warrior who was protecting the Elixir of Life. They grabbed that, backtracked, and ran right to the starway.

We're taking a week off, but soon enough, the Heroes will be back to fight against the Chaos forces once again.

Now, if you're wondering why the piece for Barbara changes, it's because Barbara's player has decided that Barbara is like the SNL character, Pat. You don't know their actual sex, so he changes the piece each quest. :-)

Rewards:
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby ken » November 9th, 2010, 3:43 am

Great pictures, good to see you all enjoying the session. I am trying hard to get Puck to see the game in the same way, serious stuff, but enjoyable too, with time for a good laugh. Do some of us take it all tooo seriously?? :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » November 9th, 2010, 8:45 am

Not in my case. All we have to do is give Korisu some whiskey...
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ken » November 9th, 2010, 11:22 am

el_flesh wrote:Not in my case. All we have to do is give Korisu some whiskey...

Nobody whose friends go to war in a bright green woolly jumper could be accused of being serious. Take a look at my present favourite hero, check out the pointy helmet!! :mrgreen:
saracen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby joec » January 9th, 2011, 1:22 pm

Only one pic came out of last night's game where the Heroes took on Quests 10 and 11.

Here it is:

Rewards:
joec

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby drathe » January 9th, 2011, 3:28 pm

Joe, I never realised you were so short... and hairy... and grumpy looking... ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!