• Advertisement

Welcome return to Heroquest

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Welcome return to Heroquest

Postby oldmorcarsmaze » Friday August 26th, 2016 3:56am

We decided to get our retro game on last Sunday with High Adventure in the World of Magic and Man verses Alien in Desperate Battle
Cider and fish and chips for lunch and a curry and Stranger Things in the evening. Not a bad day at all. Still an amazing game.

Hi everyone, my first post to the boards. My set was bought from ebay a few years ago. Many monsters are still on their spruces. Should I paint, play or keep?

oldmorcarsmaze

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Welcome return to Heroquest

Postby Big Bene » Friday August 26th, 2016 5:50am

That's entirely up to you, it's a matter of taste.

I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one), have not yet painted any HQ minis (well, I did, for the christmas exchange). I have no problem with the visuals of the original plastic. They have a great nostalgic aire. There are even people who paint additional figures in monochrome red or green to match the look of the HQ plastics. I also have still enough painting on my to-do-list for warhammer and other projects.
But I also would like to play HQ with painted figures some time for varaition. Just as I like the original board for its ingenious simplicity, but also think it would be fun to build a 3D board when I ever have the time (and I have quite some ideas in the back of my head of how I would do it). I don't think one preference is exclusive to the other.
So, perhaps sometime I will also paint Heroquest Minis, but I would always leave at least one set unpainted. I have some spare sets, and probably, if you are really into the hobby, you will have some for yourself sooner or later. If I would have minis still in the sprues (which I don't, except for a box of WoM I bought around 95, which I can't find anymore), these would be the ones to keep "original".

But that's really me, it's just an example of how one can take it. You can have a completey different opinion, and this would be totally fine. If you like better to play HQ with painted minis (is this Mortheim?) paint them already.
Last edited by Big Bene on Friday August 26th, 2016 6:31am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » Friday August 26th, 2016 6:03am

oldmorcarsmaze wrote:
Hi everyone, my first post to the boards. My set was bought from ebay a few years ago. Many monsters are still on their spruces. Should I paint, play or keep?

Big Bene wrote:
That's entirely up to you, it's a matter of taste.

I would have to agree with Big Bene, its up to you. I have three copies of this game, and have a Saturday dungeon crawl retro game day were my wife, child, and nephew play it all day.
As for paint, I have painted some of mine not all. I plan to paint everything but I have other paint projects I've started before I can finish this one. Again its up to you happy gaming :D .
:skeleton: "Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday August 26th, 2016 6:11am

Welcome to the forum! |_P
HQ, SQ, cider, curry, Stranger Things... what a day, indeed!

In regards to your question: if you have fun painting, then paint! I can see in the pictures that you do know someone who knows how to paint, maybe it was yourself.
And that's a solid standard right there, too. Tips and threads around the topic of mini painting are to be found all around here.
Don't leave components of your favorite game in a clean corner just because you fear it's gonna lose value. A figure in a sprue is not a figure but literally a useless piece of plastic.
Treat the game well while playing and you're fine. Don't serve crisps (as the British say) with sticky dips while playing and you're fine.
I don't think figures in sprues make a difference in value if the game as a whole isn't still shrinkwrapped, which would make the point invalid.

And a shrinkwrapped game in the cupboard of a middleaged :ugeek: is a wasted game.
Have some :cheese: and a |_P and fumble through the darkness and depth of these forums.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » Friday August 26th, 2016 6:35am

Was HQ shrinkwrapped at all when it was sold?
I remember unpacking the game in the shop to see what's in before buying it.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday August 26th, 2016 7:03am

Big Bene wrote:Was HQ shrinkwrapped at all when it was sold?
I remember unpacking the game in the shop to see what's in before buying it.

Now that you mention it... I don't know.
Doesn't change what I was saying, though. Replace "shrinkwrapped" with "unpunched".
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » Friday August 26th, 2016 9:38am

Yay cool
Welcome!

Don't get lost in the forum depth.
If you encounter a Zombie somewhere don't forget to tell drathe. :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby oldmorcarsmaze » Friday August 26th, 2016 12:24pm

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm going to keep this set unpainted and playable. I have many painted minis I could use and proxy from Advanced Heroquest, Warhammer, Lotr, Mordheim, Frostgrave etc so I could use them.
And yes thank you Knightkrawler that is my painting and the exceptionally good poppy ones are a mates. Cheers. :barbarian:
oldmorcarsmaze

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby QorDaq » Friday August 26th, 2016 4:54pm

Welcome to the Forums,

I see that you made your decision prior to my finding your post, however, my suggestion would have been much the same as others, as in; your call on painting. I doubt there is a wrong answer there. In fact, likely the only wrong answer is not playing if one has the game on the shelf!

Digging the themed day you put together, sounds like a fine time indeed.

Again, welcome to the fray!

@All,

I made my HQ purchase (NA) from Wal Mart back in the day. I can hardly imagine that it was a loose box? I'm fairly confidant there was shrink wrap. But again, this is the U.S. and we shrink wrap everything... Even couches... occasionally.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

High Mage
High Mage

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby oldmorcarsmaze » Saturday August 27th, 2016 3:24am

Thank you QorDaq that's good info.