• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Tuesday Night HeroQuest!

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Re: Tuesday Night HeroQuest!

Postby knightkrawler » May 7th, 2016, 2:03 am

Say, how long does your average quests take?
Shortest and longest aside from these three and a half?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lucasdp » May 7th, 2016, 8:06 pm

knightkrawler wrote:Say, how long does your average quests take?
Shortest and longest aside from these three and a half?

We usually average about two hours, depending on the analysis paralysis and bathroom breaks. I think our shortest quest ever was about one hour.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 8th, 2016, 3:52 am

Basically same as back when we played regularly with the vanilla rules.
Sounds about right for my plans for 4-hour sessions and quest packs that only contain 3, 4, or 5 quests.
Thanks.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lucasdp » May 11th, 2016, 5:40 pm

So we finally made it through the Forbidden Caverns. It took another two-hour long gaming session but we did it.
Having had a week to think on it and refresh, the Heroes made a valiant plan to push forward through the hallways, leaving one hero on each spawning space until they were ready (which wasn't until the exit door was revealed :lol: ). So, they moved forward, one space each round, with Gizzard the Wizard still hanging out on the first X. Lady Darwin the Dwarf stopped on the second X, and Vrag the Barbarian and Miranda the Elf pushed forward. When Miranda fell in the pit trap, Vrag went north, setting off a falling block trap, but eventually making his way around to find the exit. From there, it was a pretty methodical effort to clean out the last of the undead. Gizzard made good use of his Pass Through Rock spell to catch up and everyone was almost out when Vrag and Lady Darwin decided they wanted to search a couple rooms for treasure. So, Lady Darwin had to fight a room of nasties basically solo, and Vrag found another pit trap. Then, finally, the heroes left the exit, with one last zombie that I was able to spawn on their tails.

Totaling about 5 and a half hours altogether, this was a long, grueling, and sometimes boring quest. My heroes were good sports about it and I wouldn't say it was no fun at all, but I could tell this was no one's favorite quest. Once Zargon is able to get a good string of three or four undead in the hallways, this quest moves at a snail's pace, with the heroes literally only moving one space each round. I know Gizzard was frustrated and bored, as he was basically just standing on one spot until the rush to the exit at the end.

I'm not saying this is a bad quest, but it is definitely one I may skip if/when I run through RotWL again in the future. There are no special artifacts or anything that is necessary to complete the quest pack. Sure, there's the swords in the one treasure chest (which I was going to replace with a relatively equivalent amount of gold coins), but that's it, really. And most smart heroes will figure out that the best way through this quest is to just keep going forward. By the time they got to the room with the good treasure, my heroes had decided not to waste time in rooms (which, I guess is the point of putting the treasure in that room anyway, but...). Just be aware that this quest will likely take about twice as long as your normal quests, maybe even longer. If we had sat down to play this early on a rainy Saturday morning and spent all day doing it, this might have been more fun. But trying to do it in the "usual" amount of time and then having to split it between two sessions was frustrating, to say the least. Looking forward to a more typical quest next week; then, the Heroes will face the Witch Lord again the following week!
Last edited by lucasdp on May 15th, 2016, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 12th, 2016, 3:09 am

Thanks for that feedback. I was always wondering if that quest could be fun and you confirm it is likely not fun. I may skip it then.

Did I already tell you countless times how I appreciate those reports?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 12th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Anderas wrote:Did I already tell you countless times how I appreciate those reports?

I get a bad conscience everytime I don't...

Rewards:
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lucasdp » May 13th, 2016, 4:11 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
Anderas wrote:Did I already tell you countless times how I appreciate those reports?

I get a bad conscience everytime I don't...

Haha! Thanks, friends! |_P I'm lucky enough to get to play HeroQuest on an almost weekly basis, and I certainly enjoy sharing it here. This is a great community that helped relight the passion for one of my favorite games, and gaming in general, to be honest. |_P

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » May 31st, 2016, 1:08 pm

Time for an update!
So, last week we played RotWL Q9: The Last Gate. This was a pretty good one, and we were all thankful to have a more "normal" quest after the grueling, two-session Forbidden Caverns.
When planning this quest, what I found most interesting was that there were two paths to the stairway and the heroes could have stuck with one path and only encountered Kessandria or the Doomguard. There is no requirement to face both to get through this quest. Of course, if your Heroes like to explore (and they probably do, if you're playing HQ ;) ), then you may see the whole dungeon unfold.

On our table, most of the Heroes went south towards Kessandria, but Vrag the Barabarian went north to explore the other rooms on his own. Lady Darwin :dwarf:, Miranda :elf:, and Gizzard :wizard: made it to Kessandria before Vrag made it to the Doomguards, so he hurried back to help fight her. Well, I managed to shoot off a couple good spells with Kessandria:
Fear on Miranda the Elf, rendering her Spirit Blade as useless as a common knife.
Cloud of Chaos on everyone except Vrag (who hadn't made it into the room with everyone else yet), but Gizzard the Wizard was able to break the spell immediately. Wizard + Talisman of Lore = lots of mind points

But after that, Gizzard dispatched her pretty quickly with Fire spells. She wasn't able to make it to the secret door to attempt escape, and the heroes didn't think to search for secret doors in that room, so they started heading back up towards the Doomguard. Some decent combat there, then they searched for the secret door and eventually made their way to the trapped room. A couple of heroes got hit with spear traps while fighting those skeletons, but they paid attention to which spaces seemed clear and found the safe path out and to the stairway.

We were supposed to play Q10: The Court of the Witch Lord tonight, but Vrag had to cancel at the last minute. :roll: Usually, I have no problem postponing or rescheduling, but I'm a little frustrated this time. Partially because I think he knew he would have to cancel and could have told us earlier, but also because we were really looking forward to wrapping up this quest pack. Some members of our group have summer vacations coming up, and I really wanted to finish this campaign before that all started. Ah well, what can you do? Whenever we get around to playing it, I will be sure to let y'all know how it goes.

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » May 31st, 2016, 2:26 pm

Well at least playing the end of the quest pack when they come back will remind everyone of where they were. It could seem a bit too much like a new game otherwise. ;) Are you doing against the ogre hoard next. Watch out if you are, there's a tone of mistakes in that quest book. You'll need to go through it first and sort them out, it's much less annoying than finding them as you go.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » May 31st, 2016, 3:09 pm

I like how that played out! Thanks for that one.
I really have to read that witch lord book in detail soon - but i am looking forward to playing it soon, so i don't want to spoil it for me.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!