• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Advanced Heroquest Playthrough video

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Advanced Heroquest Playthrough video

Postby Patroclus » August 10th, 2015, 9:07 am

This is a play through of advanced heroquest. It’s not exactly a full quest, usually a quest has 2 random generated levels like this with the stairs for the next level on its quest room (the final room), and the third level is the final probably premade map, some interesting triggers and events and criteria for how many fate points you gain (save the girl +1 fate, kill the boss +1 fate, more than four expeditions -2 fate, two or three -1, etc).

I hope you like it.

the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkTUcTLuXE4&index=1&list=PLqIGIHG2EEG4iQz43Y2N0ULwv1jiA1-XY

ps: don't forget to leave some thumbs up if you like it |_P

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Advanced Heroquest Playthrough video

Postby alyndavies » August 10th, 2015, 3:01 pm

I always wondered how you were supposed to play the game. I bought it when I was younger, but to be honest my friends and I were totally stumped with it, so it was left in the box and never used. I must say it's not as dynamic as the standard game and I think my kids would get bored with it very easily.

Still thanks very much for sharing this, I had no idea how the game was played.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » August 10th, 2015, 6:18 pm

Thanks for posting this Patroclus. Are they you're videos?

This has actually cleared up some of my fears about the random town generation I am using in my Roleplay book (based on the WHQ system).
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » August 11th, 2015, 12:57 am

I find it interesting that the rooms and hallways in AHQ apparently have a decent size for allowing movement. It is the one thing all modern adaptations of HQ were changing. No more 2x3 rooms and single space hallways - either you have systems without squares or you have a lot more space in each room and Hallway in all the games.

The gameplay itself would be a strong repellent for me - looking up dozens of tables is a killer. I wouldn't play that game once.

It might be interesting to have a modern AHQ 2. A mobile phone App does all the look up table work, beautifully designed, but the gameplay takes place on the table as it should be.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » August 11th, 2015, 9:25 am

alyndavies wrote:...I must say it's not as dynamic as the standard game and I think my kids would get bored with it very easily.

I could say it’s more hardcore than HQ, but the difficulty makes you happier when you clear the level. For example, if you find the quest room faster than normal you are happy, if it takes too much time to find it and you didn’t lose many fate points then you are more happy, etc etc. Don’t be sure that they’ll get bored. In every corner it’s possible to find the quest room or a group of wandering monsters, while your final goal is to go to the last dungeon to find (for example) the lost magic sword of a dead warrior. The game is very good, if you own it you should try it. To be honest, in our group we play always HQ, we are lots of people and it’s hard to make them all want to learn new rules of a harder game, but from time to time I really want to make some quests for AHQ just to sit there waiting. And as a GM it’s very easy to build a new quest because all the tables are ready, so you are just focusing on the story and the bosses, and this is the idea. While on HQ the quest is one page, on AHQ the quest is 6 or more pages, with descriptions for the rooms, narrations, notes for the history of each boss(so you can make NPCs to describe things, or gives you ideas to put more things and events), and stories inspired from known novels. It’s the role playing hero quest. It has events and triggers (not in solo of course, you need a GM), not extra rules for that, but the descriptions for each room pushes you to add things, and while in HQ you say “I activate the lever”, in AHQ the GM could say “there is a skull of stone in one wall” then the hero could say “I pull the skull”, “I turn the skull”, “I shoot the skull”, “I touch the skull”, but the trigger could be “I push the skull”. Nothing you can’t do on HQ too, but when you are writing 6 pages for a quest, it’s inspires you to do such things. It’s for hardcore players so there is always a good idea to put a lever that they’ll never find how to activate.

The Road Warrior wrote:Thanks for posting this Patroclus. Are they you're videos?
This has actually cleared up some of my fears about the random town generation I am using in my Roleplay book (based on the WHQ system).

Yes, it’s me. I think I should continue with a “return to town” video just to show you how to get ready for a next quest. The random events could be horrible, and the training is an expensive unfulfilled dream. I’ll try to do it a 10min video just to not make it boring.

Anderas wrote:...The gameplay itself would be a strong repellent for me - looking up dozens of tables is a killer. I wouldn't play that game once...

You can replace the tables with cards if you want to, it could be nice, but it’s not that bad. You use the same tables again and again. You just need some good reference sheets. It’s 3 dices for each corridor. You could say yellow dice for the first table, green for the second, blue for the third, and with one roll you’ll have the result. It’s not as fast as HQ, but I could say it’s a very fast game and the tables does not slow you down. In one afternoon of 2 to 4 hours, you can finish two dungeons and get ready for the last one(the most quests are 2 random generated dungeons and one premapped). So, if you remove one of the two random dungeons you can play a quest with all the up and downs to town, in about 2 to 4 hours.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby Decipher » August 12th, 2015, 2:15 am

Thanks for posting. Been wondering about how awesome AHQ is and it looks fun. Too expensive to buy a copy from ebay. :x

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby slev » August 13th, 2015, 7:13 am

Decipher wrote:Thanks for posting. Been wondering about how awesome AHQ is and it looks fun. Too expensive to buy a copy from ebay. :x

Perhaps you should pester someone who has been making their own P&P set...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » August 15th, 2015, 2:15 am

The last video with the town is added in the playlist. The direct link is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPG_Ti0gOWs

Rewards:
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:

Postby alyndavies » August 18th, 2015, 5:00 am

Decipher wrote:Thanks for posting. Been wondering about how awesome AHQ is and it looks fun. Too expensive to buy a copy from ebay. :x

AHQ isn't that expensive I have seen them go for £20-£30 before now which isn't that much off what it cost back in the day.

I normally buy spares from Yagdavix an ebay seller as he has all the AHQ parts very cheap.
alyndavies

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » August 18th, 2015, 5:23 am

to be honest, the board sections are cheap to reprint. I can craft a full set of AHQ & IttD, and the WD materials for about £40, including mounting.

Since you'll want a wide selection of minis for this anyway, you can just hoover up old units on ebay, strip & repaint them cheap.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!