• Advertisement

66 up, 66 down

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

66 up, 66 down

Postby EvilWizardCharacter » Friday July 10th, 2015 7:16am

My buddies and I just finished all 66 "vanilla" quests last week, playing about every other Thursday since last January.

Now that we've finished, we're about to embark on my first completely original quest pack (The Skaven Quest Pack: The Labyrinths of Muroidea); I thought it about time to try to get started on the forums here, as well.

Depending on the response, I'd like to share it all as we go along.

First, however, I thought some of you might want to take a stroll through my twitter, where I've been posting some of the more epic moments in our gaming since about last summer. You'll see my account is almost exclusively HQ related: https://twitter.com/FGONeill

I hope to hear from many of you soon, and to become a contributing member in the near future.

:blackshield: ,
Ryan

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
EvilWizardCharacter

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: 66 up, 66 down

Postby GimmeYerGold » Friday July 10th, 2015 7:42am

Welcome to the Inn, Ryan! |_P

I just took a peek at your twitter and this is all amazing! I am definitely interested in following along on the new quests, thanks for offering to share :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » Friday July 10th, 2015 10:56am

66 Quests
Wow.

I think I have played about 40 quests and most of them were homebrew.
The Quest books...yeah there are a large number I took one look at and went 'nope'.....
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » Friday July 10th, 2015 1:17pm

Greetings Ryan, and welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you have a solid group of folks to have made it through the entirety of the HQ base game and expansions... Nicely done and success to you as you begin to branch out.

Let me ask, have you been playing each quest as a standalone game or have the players been playing the same characters and progressing them in some way?
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby EvilWizardCharacter » Friday July 10th, 2015 8:21pm

I played all 14 Quests "vanilla" as a child, but--let's face it--these quests are for children. However, when our group began this task of tackling all 66 quests, I was the only one of us who had ever played before, so we probably did the first three or four quests straight out of the book. Then I began adding traps and abilities to monsters to spice up the rest. Once we got to Kellar's Keep, though, the book had become just a guide. Chaos Dwarves and a Halfling Hero were added to Kellar's Keep, for instance, and Skavens and a Skaven Necromancer Hero to Return of the Witch Lord. We also didn't want to sit through the solo quests in Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror, so I added subplot quests featuring new Heroes (Barbarian children, Lesser Elf Heroes) as a kind of prequel to the main storylines (which I also altered). Along the way, I've been creating my own monster cards, equipment cards, artifacts, spells, and we've added all the colored dice we can (black and blue, then green, then orange and purple).

I have faithful records of all of this thanks to HeroScribe, but I'll stop short of posting unless people would like to see specific quests or items. I will pass along, however, the sole video our Wizard created of one of the last quests in the Frozen Horror quest pack: http://youtu.be/hSHEZZDBPHg It gives a pretty good look at the game nights themselves, complete with original scripts and sound effects.

I look forward to more conversations!

Rewards:
EvilWizardCharacter

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby EvilWizardCharacter » Friday July 10th, 2015 8:39pm

As for the Heroes themselves, they have been leveling up as we play. In fact, our Wizard is the only one to have made it through all 66 quests. For the sake of comparison with the Wizard as he starts quests one, our Wizard (a Master Geomancer) hand selects four Earth Spells to start (he usually goes with three Heal Body and a Pass Through Rock), then chooses at Random two Fire and two Air. From defeating the Wizards of Zargon, he gets one Necromancer, Stormaster, Master Wizard, and one Orc Mage spell. And he has learned Warmth and Treasure without Doom (thanks to an original artifact called "Spell Book"). He still has his original four body points, but now has 8 mind points. He wears the Spell Ring and an Artifact called the "Healer's Blind" which allows his to roll green dice in defense. He just last quest acquired "Sinestra's Staff," which will allow him to attack with two ranged orange and cast "Summon Wolves" once per quest. Oh, and being a Master Geomancer, he can cast his Earth spells at instant speed, meaning it need not be his turn for him to save a fellow hero with a Healing Spell.

Right now, the cast of Heroes is such: Wizard, Barbarian (a ranger who can craft armor and arrows), Elf (also long tenured, specializing in stealth and water magic), Skaven (a trap disarmer in the vein of the Dwarf), and an Ogre (a slow tank who cannot be healed).

This cast evolves when someone dies. For instance, awhile ago when the Elf died from some very stupid decisions, I replaced him with a Halfling to punish him. When the Dwarf died last, a Skaven from the land where the next expansion is going to take place replaced him. I can post their Hero cards, but I'm not sure what the best vehicle to do so is.

Rewards:
EvilWizardCharacter

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Schmidt » Saturday July 11th, 2015 1:43pm

I see why "Vanilla" is in quotation marks ;)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Schmidt

Necromancer
Necromancer

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » Saturday July 11th, 2015 9:23pm

What stats did you use for the Ogres in the Elf Quest Pack? I'm guessing you used them as written, when we played that years ago it seemed they were too hearty, attack and defense were good, but damn, over the top on the BP.

If my players wander to that QP someday, ill play them as written, but only because I've allowed a certain amount of power creep on their heroes.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

High Mage
High Mage

Usergroups:

Postby EvilWizardCharacter » Saturday July 11th, 2015 9:33pm

We used the Ogres' vanilla stats; they did roll blue dice, however, making their defense as good as the Heroes still using white dice.

They certainly made for tough kills, but the Elf used "Hypnotic Blaze" pretty often to nullify them in numbers, and the Skaven Necromancer had a bevvy of Mind Point spells (the tokens from Against the Ogre Horde) to put one or two down fairly quickly.

Rewards:
EvilWizardCharacter

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Saiyaforthelight » Tuesday July 28th, 2015 10:03am

I have thoroughly enjoyed this post, and your Twitter adventures, as well as the YouTube video of one of your games! Just saying thanks for an entertaining and exciting HQ post.

If you had time, I'd be interested in what house rules you use, as well as where I can find some of those cool dice you use.
My rules, modifications, spells and quests: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3380

-Saiya-
Saiyaforthelight

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!