• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Friday Night Dungeon with my Son

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Re: Grand Campaign (with my son)

Postby torilen » February 27th, 2015, 3:03 pm

I think I have that one. I'll check it out.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » February 27th, 2015, 4:07 pm

This is great. If you have a map, the ideas come up easily!

Just one tip: don't use a set scale. Why. Use a narrative scale. The next adventure is in the next city? The way is short. The next adventure is along the road? The same way is long and hilly! :)

Narrativium was always able to lengthen or shorten ways better than any warp drive!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » February 27th, 2015, 4:18 pm

I do the narrative thing no matter who I play with - my son or an adult gaming group. I might tell adults
how far it is, but the scale is really for me, so I know how long it should take and how much to play from
place to place.

You have a good point, though. I appreciate it. All thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Friday Night Dungeon with my Son

Postby Daedalus » August 5th, 2015, 5:47 pm

Goblins is a great place to start. Post an update one day, including the Dwarf's and Elf's names.

OK, I just read the next adventure. Maybe I could merge these?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Re: Monday After School with my son

Postby Daedalus » August 5th, 2015, 5:52 pm

I like how that battle map is working out. Game on!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Decipher » August 5th, 2015, 7:25 pm

torilen, if you get to come over to my dungeon, bring your little boy. I have two girls who play too.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » August 5th, 2015, 7:29 pm

I'll keep that in mind. :)

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » August 5th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Yeah...you could merge if you need to. That'll be fine.

We haven't been able to play lately - I'm hoping again sometime soon, maybe.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » August 6th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Your map idea has been a promising way to organize Quests--I'm glad to see it utilized. If you decide to go with event cards, you should check out various Talisman and Runebound editions, as well as Descent 2 for ideas. Gameboard Geek is a good place to explore card text and images, though some of the older games have files to draw from at fan sites. You can also check out links at the in. Board index ‹ Fantasy Gaming Rooms ‹ Other Fantasy Games Area ‹ Talisman Room

While I'd like to develop some outdoor event cards and a possible map system for outdoor exploration, it will take a lot of work and remains in the formulating stage. I'll probably also borrow inspiration from my Middle Earth Quest board game, another game with lots of event cards. I might also use some of my Warhammer Quest game's events tables for ideas.
The Road Warrior used WHQ effectively for some of his event structure, you should check out his cool Roleplay Book. I'll probably have to borrow inpiration from his work, as well.

By the way, how did part 2 of The Kidnapped Kids work out? Are your kid's reading skills up to new spell cards yet?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby torilen » June 24th, 2016, 9:10 pm

WELL - had the time and motivation to pull out the set tonight and play a bit. I decided to just start
with the base quest pack and go through that. Less planning and thinking...though I still need to put
together a good character sheet for my son to use.

He was playing the Barbarian, Dwarf, and Elf. I played Morcar and the Wizard.

NIGHT ONE: THE TRIAL

The heroes started out checking things out...moving down the hallways a bit, looking around. Then,
off by himself, the Barbarian opened a door...to find two Chaos Warriors staring him in the face. He
didn't call out for help...just ran for it...away from his friends...mad dash down the other hallways.

Meanwhile, the Dwarf, Elf, and Wizard checked out the other side of the tomb. No one opened any doors
for a while, until the dwarf decided to open a door...to find a spellbook guarded by a goblin and an orc,
with a skeleton in the background (only one could be seen through the arch, so I only placed the one).

One of the Chaos Warriors chased the barbarian around the hallways, while the other stood guard over
their room. The Barbarian finally met back up with the Dwarf, who had moved on to open yet another
door (after killing a goblin), to find two goblins sitting at a table. The hopped up to attack him, of course.

The wizard took over the battle with the orc and skeleton. The Elf decided to wander off down a dead-end
hallway. He searched for treasure down there (I allow for searches in hallways) and found a nice Potion of
Strength, and stashed it away for later.

The Chaos Warrior caught up to the Barbarian and engaged...wrong move. The barbarian got in a great
swing (I said he found a notch up under the helmet), and sliced into the warriors neck, killing him instantly
(rolled three skulls, and I rolled no shields).

The Dwarf takes out his two goblins, then decides he has some time to search for some treasure. Little did
he know there was an orc hiding under the table (wandering monster card drawn).

The second Chaos Warrior rushed to help his friend, who he hears die horribly, and meets the Barbarian.
The Elf has come to help the Wizard in his fight with the orc. Everyone is taking some damage, but not
yet on the verge of death.

And it was time to get ready for bed at this point...I'll continue later... ...

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!