• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Game Night!

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Game Night!

Postby Jewels! » June 25th, 2013, 4:53 am

(Apologies in advance for my horrible pix)

Summer vacation had come. My daughter, N (age 8) wanted to play board games with me and my roommates, S and B. But we didn't really have any outside of Candy Land (too boring) and Trivial Pursuit (too hard for her). N suggested D&D, but she's not good enough at math for it yet.

Then I remembered Hero Quest. And that it was in the storage closet.

N had never heard of it, of course. But the instant I brought the battered old box out and she saw that cover image, with the Barbarian valiantly fighting off a horde of orcs, she was entranced. I could see the magic in her eyes, the same feeling I got when I first saw the game 20+ years ago, the feeling I like to imagine we all felt the first time we opened the box. We played through the first quest and she was HOOKED. 8-)

Tonight, we ran quest #6:
Legacy of the...well you know.

The heroes. I got these pre-painted in a parts lot years ago. But ever since she saw it, N has demanded to use a different Barbarian:

I'm never going to paint her.

From left to right, Ayra the Barbarian (played by N), Leonidas Mohammed Jones the Dwarf (B), Rainbow the Elf (S), and Fancypants Consuela Noooooooo the Wizard (B again).
This is my mature gaming group, y'all.

The dice from this box. Those are all the black shields on top. This game has been well-played and well-loved, but poorly-maintained.

This is how the contents have been stored in the box for the last 20 years :oops: though only about 15 of those in my possession.

And we're off!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Game Night!

Postby Jewels! » June 25th, 2013, 5:18 am

Oh hey we have no weapons or armor or spells, let's go check out the center room!

Well that was not the best idea. To be fair, Rainbow did kill an orc with her bare hands.

Pretty soon, this was happening.

"We went this way, with those orcs and the fimir after us. Maybe our weapons are in here!"

Nope.

Meanwhile...

Our brave Barbarian, after being yelled at for wanting to go back into the center room to search for treasure, goes to help her comrades. With the Dwarf at her back, the two fight a furious battle in the hallway.

After defeating a few orcs, the Elf and Wizard elect to zoom right past the fight.

After a victorious stand in the halls against the fimir and his buddies, Ayra gets to search the center room after all! And everyone else goes to get their weapons.

Down the long hall, Rainbow gets nasty with her shortsword.

For some strange reason, this is how most of these quests have gone - Wizard in front doing all the damage (he rolls REALLY well, and B is pretty good at casting the right spell at the right time for a newbie) while the Barbarian lags far behind. It probably doesn't help that N has no idea what a Barbarian is, let alone how to play one.

And this is where we had to leave off for the night. We will finish this quest next time!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » June 25th, 2013, 6:38 am

hahaha, funny report! I love it. Wish you had made better pictures though. This is blog material!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Jewels! » June 25th, 2013, 10:42 am

Sjeng wrote:hahaha, funny report! I love it. Wish you had made better pictures though. This is blog material!

Thank you. Unfortunately I had to use my iPod to take these, and it has a ridiculously slow shutter speed and no flash. I can only hope that they turn out somewhat recognizable. :-?

Rewards:
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby tasoe » June 25th, 2013, 11:50 am

Jewels wrote:... Leonidas Mohammed Jones the Dwarf...

Funniest name ever for a character!

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jewels! » June 26th, 2013, 3:58 am

Legacy of the Orc Warlord, part 2!

We rejoin our intrepid heroes, shuffling single file down a narrow corridor. As usual, the Wizard is leading the charge.

Fire of Wrath! The goblin did not roll well.

N finally got her act together and stormed the room, longsword swinging and ready to lop of some fimir parts!

Or not. Not that it mattered, the party made short work of these guys. It's amazing the difference a longsword, crossbow, and battle axe make when compared to bare hands.

Anyway, back around the corner...

Ayra had some fun with this orc...

...while Rainbow and Leonidas marvel at the plush furnishings of this small room.

After regrouping, the party heads over this way. Rainbow KICKS the door in and...

...with a *clack* of her crossbow, one goblin down.

But goblins are easy to kill. However in the next room...

Heh, heh, heh. :twisted:

Leonidas charges in and fells the first orc with his battle axe.

Rainbow sneaks her way into the corner and launches a bolt at Grak, knocking off one of his three body points. Fancypants gets in there next to her on his turn and...

His roll.

And Grak's. :evil: Which soon led to...

Victory! The Wizard gets a fancy new cloak. And since some jewels (heh) were found while searching for treasure, the heroes also emerge 12½ gold coins wealthier each!

What strange new dangers will await our fearless foursome next time? A bunch of undead I think, stay tuned.

Rewards:
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jewels! » June 27th, 2013, 4:33 am

Tonight we ran through Quest 7 - The Stone Hunt...Lost Wizard. And actually finished in under an hour! It's amazing how much quicker things go when your heroes are armed to the teeth. Fighting a bunch of skeletons helps too. But I digress...

There is a wizard who is lost! Here we go!

Ayra takes the lead. And whiffs against the bonies.

Fortunately Leonidas and Rainbow pick up the slack.

Rainbow wisely searches the room for treasure and finds a wandering monster in the fireplace, or something. Ayra decides she can't really do anything with everyone standing around the monster, so she goes exploring.

Battle axes, longswords, and crossbows make these fights sooooo much quicker. And much less fun for Morcar :evil:

More of the same. "This is easy!," my players say.

"A treasure chest! I'm going into the room!" She fell in the pit. The Dwarf eventually jumped the pit, then searched for treasure. Then got stuck with the poison needle in the chest. Then didn't drink the vial, so he did something right. Meanwhile, a fortuitous roll leaves Rainbow ending her move right here:

Uh-oh...

...and she downs one with a single shot. Unfortunately, there were two. And the other crept up and attacked.

Two skulls...
...two shields!

Ayra almost makes it to the fight, but Rainbow takes a step back and kills the other Chaos Warrior outright. I think she is the unwitting tank of this party. The tank with a crossbow.

The other two Chaos Warriors don't put up much of a fight either.

Ayra smells the end is near! Probably the stench of that lost wizard...

Leonidas Mohammed Jones fears nothing, certainly not wingless gargoyles! I really need to get those replaced some day.

"Hey guys wait up!"

They didn't.

But they picked a door and stormed the room.

In the end, Rainbow the Elf ends up with a lovely set of Borin's Armor, and now has five defend dice! (I allow helmet + Borin's Armor) She needs it, being the meat shield and all...

And we wrap up with the most anticlimactic boss fight ever.

Next time on Game Night: Morcar might get to cast a spell! Until then...

Rewards:
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » June 27th, 2013, 5:43 am

Always a fun read! Still hoping for better pictures :P
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Jewels! » June 27th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Sjeng wrote:Always a fun read! Still hoping for better pictures :P

Any tips on taking better pictures? Besides "get a better camera," of course.

Rewards:
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » June 28th, 2013, 4:36 am

Jewels! wrote:
Sjeng wrote:Always a fun read! Still hoping for better pictures :P

Any tips on taking better pictures? Besides "get a better camera," of course.

Better lights could work :)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!