• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Startin up a NEW batch!

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

Re: Startin up a NEW batch!

Postby bastianbux » May 14th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Patroclus wrote:I like it a lot when a player asked “can I do this?”. The answer should always be “yes you can, but…”, never say “no, there is no way to do this”.

While I understand that philosophy... I'm not so sure it applies to HeroQuest at it's most basic form. The way I view HeroQuest is: HeroQuest is primarily a board game, not a role playing game. In my current sessions I've been playing with people who actively AD&D weekly as well (I tried AD&D three times, and realized I prefer the board game style of HeroQuest)... so they are always coming at me with role playing what-ifs. I really don't think HeroQuest is the sort of game for a Barbarian to say "Can I swing my sword in a circle like Link from Legend of Zelda and hit all the enemies surrounding me?" and then for Morcar/Zargon to say: "Yes, you can, but you might lose grip of your sword if you roll any Black Skulls and then you'd be weaponless." As interesting an idea as that is... it's not in keeping with the "extremely simple and straight forward rules, board game style game" that I feel HeroQuest excels at being. Maybe that's just me, though?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby el_flesh » May 14th, 2013, 9:50 pm

In a way; although I wouldn't say "just"...it's the way you do HQ!

Do whatever turns you on, man! (So long as its still legal!)
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby mikemacdee » May 15th, 2013, 5:07 am

bastianbux wrote:The way I view HeroQuest is: HeroQuest is primarily a board game, not a role playing game.

I view it as, "HeroQuest is a Roguelike, not a Role-Playing Game," which I think is a bit more accurate. It's an RPG in its simplest form: the dungeon crawl. At the end of the day, depending on the context, I side with Patroclus...for the most part. A big part of the appeal of the game is being able to invent new stuff for it, sometimes on the fly, and I find the game is a lot more fun that way (in moderation) than with a strict enforcement of "simplicity first."

For example, if the barbarian has a hand axe and wants to lob it at a zombie through a doorway, but there's a comrade just blocking line of sight, I'd say "no line of sight, no way." But if the comrade blocking his shot is the short-ass dwarf, and killing the zombie before Zargon's turn might possibly lead to some kind of miraculous tactical victory on the heroes' part, I'd say, "Okay, but you hit the dwarf depending how bad you miss."

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game.
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » May 15th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Well, you need both types to make a game good. There are the purists who love their tables and charts; die rolls and rules. They keep those of us who would invent/allow anything within reasonable bounds.

But I was utterly amazed, at the age of 15, with FASA STSTCS at the *new* idea of: "as the GM, allow the dice to suggest the outcomes of actions the players will take. There are no set rules because the myriad of options and solutions a player will come up with cannot be predicted..."
It makes a game worth playing when you can adjust the situation on the fly to overcome limitations of the rules!

For me, strict rule sets are for 10 yr olds who don't yet know how to make a game run balanced in accord with reality. Setting up some kind of skill check really worx well; it's applicable to so many things the player might try. D&D really knew what they were doing when they invented the idea.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby bastianbux » May 16th, 2013, 1:45 am

el_flesh wrote:For me, strict rule sets are for 10 yr olds who don't yet know how to make a game run balanced in accord with reality. Setting up some kind of skill check really worx well; it's applicable to so many things the player might try. D&D really knew what they were doing when they invented the idea.

I really don't think it's an age thing. I think there are some people who like to role play (I am NOT one of those people) and there are some people who like to play board games. HeroQuest, depending how it is played, can satisfy both. My friends and I play it as a strict board game because 1) I prefer it that way, and 2) one of them is a person who can NOT STAND role playing. She dislikes D&D as much as I do. I love HeroQuest so much because I don't have to pretend I'm a barbarian, I can just roll my dice and move my game piece.

I'm not saying that those who play it as a role playing game are playing it wrong, I'm just saying that I feel like it was designed to be a board game and that's how I prefer to play it.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
bastianbux

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » September 29th, 2013, 9:59 am

I meant for me and my group it would definitely be an age thing - any adult wanting to play a game with me will find house rules and can role play within reason. Something like Monopoly doesn't allow for much beyond putting taxes into the Free Parking space, but HQ allows for loads of creative actions: "I try to open the door gently and quietly and peek through."
"Roll a D6"
6 - you not only peek in, you can sneak up on a monster and stab it in the back.
5,4 - you see the monsters and they don't see you
3 - the door creaks and the monsters see you, but you can shut the door. They are coming.
2 - the door creaks loud, all the monsters see you, and the rusted hinge breaks - the door is left open.
1 - you sneak in quietly, then trip on a crack, fall down, and your armor makes such a loud noise, all the monsters in the area swarm towards you. (If there wasn't a monster in this room, there is one now!) They get a free attack, your next turn is fighting your way up to your feet.

Some people like strict rules, some like winging it creatively.
While adults can wing it creatively if they want to, 95% of the young kids aren't able to do so very well. Strict rules work great for them.

Rewards:
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » April 17th, 2016, 9:21 pm

el_flesh wrote:I meant for me and my group it would definitely be an age thing - any adult wanting to play a game with me will find house rules and can role play within reason. Something like Monopoly doesn't allow for much beyond putting taxes into the Free Parking space, but HQ allows for loads of creative actions: "I try to open the door gently and quietly and peek through."
"Roll a D6"
6 - you not only peek in, you can sneak up on a monster and stab it in the back.
5,4 - you see the monsters and they don't see you
3 - the door creaks and the monsters see you, but you can shut the door. They are coming.
2 - the door creaks loud, all the monsters see you, and the rusted hinge breaks - the door is left open.
1 - you sneak in quietly, then trip on a crack, fall down, and your armor makes such a loud noise, all the monsters in the area swarm towards you. (If there wasn't a monster in this room, there is one now!) They get a free attack, your next turn is fighting your way up to your feet.

Some people like strict rules, some like winging it creatively.
While adults can wing it creatively if they want to, 95% of the young kids aren't able to do so very well. Strict rules work great for them.

^ I really like this kind of idea. I want to keep HQ something fun for my adult players, and this kind of "let's see what happens"-with consequences roleplaying lets it be that kind of refreshing game experience for them. While it's tempting to write rules for these situations, quick-thinking improvising keeps it fresh for everyone! |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!