• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New Adventures Begin

Share your game nights with everyone by posting images and captions, or just tell us about the exciting events that happened in your games here. Even if it's not from Saturday night, we'd like to see them!

New Adventures Begin

Postby tasoe » December 29th, 2012, 7:09 am

I finally decided to start a set of campaings of my own. After playing the originals we kind of stuck to Ogre Horde for players having the best equipment and a lot of money. I also wanted to degrade the "fellowship" feel of HQ so in my new quests it will be a little more "every man for himself".

So I divided all my hero miniatures into 6 categories, laid them all out and had my 10 friends (yeah, that's all I have and 2 are relatives) pick out their hero.
The categories are:

Barbarians

Human Fighters

Dwarves

Elves

Wizards

Warmages

and 3 figures that couldn't fit anywhere, 2 thieves and a halfling

The ten choices where these:
1 barbarian
3 human fighters
0 dwarves (a lot of pit jumping is going to take place!)
2 elves
1 wizard (the advanced heroquest figure - chosen by Patroclus)
2 warmages
1 halfling

The rest will be used as NPCs or occasional mercenaries/companions.

This weekend we start with the adventures. It's difficult to gather 4 players to set up a game but this time I have 8!
So I divided them into two groups that will play tha same quests in a parallel sense. Next time they will probably merge if some players can't join.
The first group will play today and consists of 1 barbarian /2 elves / 1 wizard
Tomorrow are 2 human fighters / 2 warmages
Obviously the players were divided regarding their life schedules.

After a couple of game sessions I'll probably upload some quests, I think you'll like them, they promote the "find-the-damned-exit-and-get-the-hell-out-of-here" spirit instead of the "let's-search-every-last-room-for-treasure" un-adventuring spirit.

I'll also provide detailed info on the game's leveling and equipment, but the basic idea is this: There is no actual equipment. I was always terrible in finding names for weapons and armor. So you buy attack dice and defend dice with gold. Example: a human fighter starts with 2 defend dice and can go to 3 with 150 gold. He then can go to 4 with 350. However a barbarian that also starts with 2 defend will go to 3 dice for 200 gold and to 4 dice with 500 gold, and that's where the classes differ from one another. Some are more cheap to advance in attack, others in defence, others to get an extra set of spells...

The classes also differ in starting attack dice as per the original heroquest rules. barbarians start with 3, wizards/warmages starts with one, and the others with 2. Finally the body+mind always sum to 10 but sometimes differ even within a class. Example: of all the elves, the only one not ranged is the HQ elf and thus he starts with 7-3, those with both sword and bow start with 6-4 and those with bows only are 5-5.

First quest is going to be a "Maze" type of quest, first one who finds the exit gets 25 gold and the privilege that his figure will be painted first!

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: New Adventures Begin

Postby Sjeng » December 29th, 2012, 1:10 pm

cool idea! post you maze quest afterwards please! I love mazes :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Ethica » December 29th, 2012, 6:57 pm

So someone picked the darkworld samauri over the AHQ fighter, they better have a cool name to go with it!

This is all very excited, you are lucky to have so many players. You shouldn't get rid of the weapons and armour cards though, they add to the atmnosphere of the game :shock:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby tasoe » December 29th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Sjeng wrote:cool idea! post you maze quest afterwards please! I love mazes :)

well... it was actually "the maze" from the original EU quest book. I just didn't mention it before so that Patroclus wouldn't study it before coming to play!
Nah, he would never do that, he's an honest guy!

Ethica wrote:So someone picked the darkworld samauri over the AHQ fighter, they better have a cool name to go with it!

This is all very excited, you are lucky to have so many players. You shouldn't get rid of the weapons and armour cards though, they add to the atmnosphere of the game :shock:

Usually I'm struggling to find a fourth guy to complete the heroes but cause of xmas a lot of my friends were available at the same time so I went for it.

I know I shouldn't throw out the concept of the armory but no one in my group ever really cared about weapons names and looks. All they cared about was dice!

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
tasoe

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Patroclus » December 30th, 2012, 3:34 am

The fun thing is that I didn’t noticed that I play the “maze”, it is so hard to go naked with the wizard that the only care was to survive. Especially when I was detached from the others and without the wand of magic… the bad is that even when I noticed that the wandering monster was just an orc, I get unlucky with the treasures by picking only potions, when for the start I need the gold to buy “grades”.

About the weapons and armors, is ok to be replaced with “grades” of attack and defense which can be upgraded with gold. Tasoe put so many classes with so many differences that can’t be otherwise to keep the balance. My miniature holds a weapon so it’s ok for me…

I have to mention that his quests are absolute great. In one of them there were 5 npcs, three of them in the first room, that they are doing different things depending on our actions. I also use npcs, but so many was a pleasant surprise… and with no money in our pockets we were trying hard to calm our greed and to not slay everyone just for their gold.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Patroclus

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Saturday Night DUNGEON!