• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

DARK COMPANY REWRITING

Discuss the Dark Company Advanced Quest from the Advanced/Master Game Systems

Re: DARK COMPANY REWRITING

Postby Sjeng » February 26th, 2012, 6:06 am

This inspires me to try and make a photoshopped board of 4 different colour schemes. Now it truly looks like 4 identical boards with all the rooms having the exact same tiles. Making different tiles in rooms is not hard at all... Trouble is: time shortage :(
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby polymathis » February 26th, 2012, 2:06 pm

Sjeng wrote:This inspires me to try and make a photoshopped board of 4 different colour schemes. Now it truly looks like 4 identical boards with all the rooms having the exact same tiles. Making different tiles in rooms is not hard at all... Trouble is: time shortage :(

That's our problem too! I'd love to replace our rush-job board with a proper work of art if any one is feeling up to it... ;)
polymathis

Goblin
Goblin

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 11th, 2018, 4:50 pm

I kinda like the idea of rewriting it in Quest Book form. Though I'm aware that this super, like Keller's Keep, but some of these would be so short it wouldn't even constitute as a quest.
A mega quest does make sense, however and I believe the instructions allow the heroes 7 Potions of Healing each. I'd probably change that to 4 Potions of Healing and 3 Elixirs of Life (which would make up for small rolls). As this super quest is reported to be much more difficult, especially playing with American Body Points for the monsters, I'd also propose doing away with the 1 Black Sheild blocks all hits rule and just giving the Dark Company the same stats as the mercenaries. I think this would balance the game a bit more (I'll have to test play it to be sure) and maybe come up with a few extra treasure perks along the way.
There's much treasure that can be found along the way and the Ring of Brilliance is a great reward that I think needs to be carried over to the much harder quests (Frozen Horror and Mage of the Mirror). So it makes it seem like a great waste if people play this as the final quest.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jabie » November 16th, 2022, 8:18 am

Vaguely thinking about rewriting this myself. My thoughts are:

[*]13 Maps with colour/shape coded key cards.
[*] Each map has a random table to determine the kind of Dark Warriors you encounter. They get harder the more you progress.
[*] When you open a new section, you can enter in from any key colour you currently have (no back-tracking needed)
[*] No healing between levels, but each key collected means +1 Body / Mind heal for the party and every 3 keys allows the reclamation of one spell.
[*] No Black Shield Dark Warrior nonsense. Doomguard has stats as given in RotWL. Other Dark Warriors have same stats as US (i.e., 2 Body, not 1)
Jabie

Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » February 24th, 2024, 5:10 pm

I played this with two different groups of players and it plays well as is.
Why go through the hassle of creating a large board, which would be too large to use anyway.
It really is simple, and it's good having it broke into small sections at a time as it enable you to stop if you run out of time and start again another day as you only have to set up the specific coloured section to start again.
What made it hard was the doom guard defense on the Dark Company. That should be nerfed to, say, normal defense rolls but more BPs.
I think this Quest pack is one of the best produced, with a unique feel to it, and enables a lot of homebrew artifacts to be added to help the Heros. There is some ruthless traps in it as well, if I remember correctly.
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Previous

Return to The Dark Company