• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

BQP: The Frozen Horror Remake Main Thread!

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

Re: Frozen Horror Remake!

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » August 15th, 2022, 5:16 pm

wallydubbs wrote:
TheLastChaosWarrior wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:I gotta tell you, utter disappointment with this expansion pack. They went through all the trouble of reprinting the original, just replacing key words like "Chaos" with "Dread", adding absolutely no fix to the quest maps or quest book. That one quest where they accidentally use the Sorcerer's Table twice, it's still there. The Yeti problem and Armband if Ice had to lazily be solved in two additional quests that could only be found on line... Even then I have trouble finding the first one.
It's as if whomever was put in charge or reprinting the quest book had absolutely no contact with the the Problem Solving department. It was lazy and uncaring if Hasbro, and although Problem Solve didn't put in that much effort into solving everything, they are least did SOMETHING. But by that point it seemed like they were already mass producing the board game... So all they could do was post the two new quests, how to find the Armband of Ice and mildly address the Yeti problem.

TWO Quests?
I thought there was just Into the Northland's which is a prelude to TFH?
Am I missing one?

Yeah sorry, I got confused. SirRick and JackieX seemed to have cleared it up. I was unaware of New Beginnings and Foresaken Tunnels. I therefore thought there was a prelude to Into the Northland's that might explain how the Barbarian came across Snowdasher. I also dared to hope that the new cards accompanying this Quest would be incorporated into the Frozen Horror quest pack. I guess I just hoped Hasbro would've put in a little bit of effort on this one. I have very little hope for Mage of the Mirror now.

Yes, I must say the appearance of Snowdasher IS a bit random to say the least!
But I am glad they released this and look to be releasing MotM, as I'm in the UK, so have never seen these packs.
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby wallydubbs » August 16th, 2022, 4:36 pm

TheLastChaosWarrior wrote:But I am glad they released this and look to be releasing MotM, as I'm in the UK, so have never seen these packs.

Oh, I'm still going to buy Mage of the Mirror too, particularly for the miniatures alone. BUT I have little to no hope that they'll fix any of the issues in the quest pack, much like Frozen Horror just reprinted the same thing and only gave an online quest to fix the the Armband of Ice and a meagre suggestion to fix the Yeti problem.
I'm predicting the falling block traps behind the doors will still be there, and the Set of Elven Chainmail will still be written in the quest book. MAYBE they'll make a card for it, but they'll probably just give another on-line quest that features the Magical Elven Bracers.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 17th, 2022, 3:40 pm

...and a fix or two in the Companion App probably.

The adjustment of the Ogre body points and the inclusion of extra Elf monsters suggests to some (including me) that they MIGHT include other changes in the printed quest book from the 1992 edition, but probably not many.

I'd be happy with errata section/notes being included in the book itself, or a separate sheet/booklet in the box failing that. Whatever they can do to make that more accessible to the majority of consumers who will buy it, not just those who are active in the online community. But I would be shocked if there was no digital errata/playtest after the fact like last time.

Sorry I feel like we had this same conversation in both threads. :mrgreen: |_P

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » August 18th, 2022, 6:30 am

I'm wondering where they will go after they do MoM?
I had ATOH and WOM as I'm in England, and although the first was decent, I found WOM a disappointment.
Only 5 Quests, the final of which is a bit of a mess, with all four wizards active at once, activating rooms as they go.
The Evil sorcerers minis were good though, as were the extra spell cards. The extra sets for the Hero's to pick from were poor, and when I used to play as the DM, no one ever picked them, instead sticking to the old elemental ones.
Will AH remake these as the DQP and WQP?
I hope not, I would love them to release the one that has been completed on here as the DQP and do something different for the Wizard one.
Actually the solo Quests on here for the Wizard are good, maybe use them as a basis.
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » August 19th, 2022, 8:16 am

Kurgan wrote:...and a fix or two in the Companion App probably.

The adjustment of the Ogre body points and the inclusion of extra Elf monsters suggests to some (including me) that they MIGHT include other changes in the printed quest book from the 1992 edition, but probably not many.

I'd be happy with errata section/notes being included in the book itself, or a separate sheet/booklet in the box failing that. Whatever they can do to make that more accessible to the majority of consumers who will buy it, not just those who are active in the online community. But I would be shocked if there was no digital errata/playtest after the fact like last time.

Sorry I feel like we had this same conversation in both threads. :mrgreen: |_P

I'm thinking that maybe it's all still compartmentalized. When the game system came out they were willing to make new cards for the armory instead of a panel with listed equipment.

So when it comes to cards they're not entirely afraid to make changes or add-ons. But aside from terminologies of Chaos to Dread, the quest notes are merely identical and the only time they address problems is in the on-line Companion App. But I don't think the Card department has any say in what's going on with the quest book makers. Even the miniatures are making strides, such as adding the female gender, making the Frozen Horror much bigger than he has to be and adding extra Elven figurines to MotM.

Sorry, I guess I missed the review section on this, but I'm a little cross about it and wondering why no one else is cross. I must just be voicing my late opinion.

TheLastChaosWarrior wrote:I'm wondering where they will go after they do MoM?
I had ATOH and WOM as I'm in England, and although the first was decent, I found WOM a disappointment.
Only 5 Quests, the final of which is a bit of a mess, with all four wizards active at once, activating rooms as they go.
The Evil sorcerers minis were good though, as were the extra spell cards. The extra sets for the Hero's to pick from were poor, and when I used to play as the DM, no one ever picked them, instead sticking to the old elemental ones.
Will AH remake these as the DQP and WQP?
I hope not, I would love them to release the one that has been completed on here as the DQP and do something different for the Wizard one.
Actually the solo Quests on here for the Wizard are good, maybe use them as a basis.

I doubt they'll make an Against the Ogre Hoard and Wizard's of Zargon expansion for this, as those were strictly released in Europe and Hasbro N.A. may not have them on file.
Part of me also doubts the long awaited release of the Dwarf and Wizard Quest Packs.
Maybe I didn't look through the Frozen Horror quest pack thoroughly enough but I didn't see the distinction as this being a quest pack specifically tailored to the Barbarian.
Even the Companion App allows any of the 4 (7?) Heroes to take up the Into the Northland's solo quest. The Box doesn't say "Barbarian Quest Pack" on it. Nor do I think Mage of the Mirror will say "Quest Pack for the Elf". So correct me if I'm wrong, but they COULD just be treating this like another expansion that just so happens to take place in the Barbarian's homeland. If this is the case, we're SOL when it comes to the Dwarf and Wizard quests. Because if Milton Bradley didn't release those because there were too many inconsistent bugs, Hasbro's too lazy to hire a group to them.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » August 20th, 2022, 5:51 am

The 1992 various of the BQP and EQP were marked on the box as being Barbarian and Elf Quest packs.
The new Frozen Horror pack, though not labelled as BQP, mentions in the description on the back the solo Quests are meant to be played by the
Barbarian, and in the story scroll, says it is the Barbarians leaders who ask him to do the quests. It is a remake of the original, so it is accepted that the new one is also a BQP.
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby QorDaq » August 20th, 2022, 2:36 pm

TheLastChaosWarrior wrote:The 1992 various of the BQP and EQP were marked on the box as being Barbarian and Elf Quest packs.
The new Frozen Horror pack, though not labelled as BQP, mentions in the description on the back the solo Quests are meant to be played by the
Barbarian, and in the story scroll, says it is the Barbarians leaders who ask him to do the quests. It is a remake of the original, so it is accepted that the new one is also a BQP.

I'll add to this that, for myself anyway, I think the decision to allow any Hero to undertake 'Into the Northlands' (in the App) was smart and is appreciated. This allows players a little flexibility in how the App is used. However, the older Quests in the App don't appear to allow Mercs... So? Room to improve I suppose.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » August 21st, 2022, 12:27 pm

I'm replaying the first Questbook with the Bard, Druid and Warlock, so the app does let you use the new Hero's in any Quest.
I did the New beginnings Quest with them as well, but yet to try The Trial with them!!!!!
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » August 23rd, 2022, 10:22 am

TheLastChaosWarrior wrote:I'm replaying the first Questbook with the Bard, Druid and Warlock, so the app does let you use the new Hero's in any Quest.
I did the New beginnings Quest with them as well, but yet to try The Trial with them!!!!!

Kinda getting off topic, but I played the Trial with them. The fourth hero was Mentor (Wizard). I was gonna post it in a different thread, but I timed out and got logged out before I could finish the play-by-play.

I thought they'd have a good chance with all the healing spells, and for the first half they were flawless, getting all the lucky rolls with minimum damage. But all their luck ran out when they reached Verag. When Annabelle (my name for the Warlock) got cornered, the Mentor cast Veil of Mist to save her, but she only rolled :roll1: :roll1:, from there the heroes had to keep wasting their attack turns to cast spells to heal eachother, allowing the monsters to get their attacks in. Mentor and Annabelle had weak BP to begin with so they were the first to fall. Marillion (The Bard) followed suit and Drew (Druid) wasn't going to kill a Chaos (Dread) Warrior with a dagger.
However they did manage to get Verag down to 1BP.

Just the same I wouldn't want to try using any of these guys on a Solo quest.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby TheLastChaosWarrior » August 23rd, 2022, 11:14 am

Unless they are buffed up with equipment.
I play the Wizard as Mentor as well, made up a card for him (on another topic on here somewhere) and I find they are ok, IF they stay together!!
Almost killed the Warlock once as she got hit, I used the dark wings spell and moved her in a corner to snipe at a chaos warrior.
Big mistake. The app attacked her with the CW and trapped her in the corner with just her wand for 2 dice!
Mentor saved her with a ball of flame!
I allow Mentor 4 spell groups, and a ranged energy blast attack of three c/d, but he only moves slowly and has 3 B/P. He is old!
I tweaked the Bard as well. He can re roll 1 C/D when he uses his Rapier, it needed to be special for him, otherwise he will just buy other equipment and be like the other Hero's. I find the Druid frustrating, as when she loses her shapeshift, she only gets it back when she heals up, which happens once or twice a game.
Warlock gets her spell back when she kills a monster, which can be quite often if fighting weak ones.
TheLastChaosWarrior

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to The Frozen Horror