• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Surviving the Solo Quests: Xanon Pass

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

Re: Surviving the Solo Quests: Xanon Pass

Postby lestodante » Saturday December 1st, 2018 8:30am

Wallydubbs I was obviously joking!! I sayd many times in other posts that I played Heroquest in my youth with family members and the whole team was formed by women: my sister was the Dwarf, my cousin (female) was the Elf and two aunts were using the Barbarian and the Wizard.
I quoted a phrase from a movie in wich they say "don't send a boy to do a man's job": the young boy died against the villain and later the man went to vindicate him.
Can't remember wich movie it was, maybe some martial arts movie, I can just remember that phrase.
Barbarian or Female Barbarian have the very same stats, so it is just a matter of dice roll and good luck.
You are lucky you have a GF that enjoy spending time playing Heroquest with you!!

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby wallydubbs » Saturday December 1st, 2018 7:57pm

lestodante wrote:Wallydubbs I was obviously joking!! I sayd many times in other posts that I played Heroquest in my youth with family members and the whole team was formed by women: my sister was the Dwarf, my cousin (female) was the Elf and two aunts were using the Barbarian and the Wizard.
I quoted a phrase from a movie in wich they say "don't send a boy to do a man's job": the young boy died against the villain and later the man went to vindicate him.
Can't remember wich movie it was, maybe some martial arts movie, I can just remember that phrase.
Barbarian or Female Barbarian have the very same stats, so it is just a matter of dice roll and good luck.
You are lucky you have a GF that enjoy spending time playing Heroquest with you!!

Yeah, I'm sorry if I lashed at the comment, you were just joking and I probably reacted inaccurately.
And thank you, I am lucky to have her.

However, indeed this game does come completely down to luck of the dice, as the 2nd Quest was a failure due to lack of Healing Potions, we replayed the Xanon Pass and it was a failure again. A single Barbarian would require 2 Elixirs of Life to get through, a lot of it relies on Potions of Healing to be drawn from the Treasure Deck; while these are excellent to have, one cannot rely on these for all 3 solo quests as they are random and may not even appear at all.
However i am using a treasure deck consisting of 47 cards, this does make Healing Potions more rare but it also staves off Wandering Monsters and hazard cards.
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby lestodante » Sunday December 2nd, 2018 6:46am

You can try removing some wandering monster and hazard cards! At least for the 3 solo quests.
There are already the WM traps and usual pits on the map.

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Thursday December 6th, 2018 2:17pm

lestodante wrote:You can try removing some wandering monster and hazard cards! At least for the 3 solo quests.
There are already the WM traps and usual pits on the map.
Not a bad idea. I'll try that the next time I get a chance to test play... haven't had much time lately.

I was also wondering, once I get passed the Solo Quests; when mercenaries start coming into play, are they allowed to drink potions or are those specifically for the main heroes?
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Postby lestodante » Friday December 7th, 2018 1:47pm

I don't know about the Barbarian QP, but in Wizards of Morcar questbook you can read on page 9:
"man-at-arms may not search for treasure, use any equipment or treasure cards..."

Rewards:
lestodante

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Friday December 7th, 2018 3:57pm

lestodante wrote:I don't know about the Barbarian QP, but in Wizards of Morcar questbook you can read on page 9:
"man-at-arms may not search for treasure, use any equipment or treasure cards..."

It doesn't rightly say in Frozen Horror, but I guess that's good enough. I'd have my crew play Wizards of Zargon first.
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Postby lestodante » Friday December 7th, 2018 7:17pm

Just checked and on the back of the Barbarian Quest Book it says that "Mercenaries can only move, attack and defend (except for scout who can detect and disarm traps)"

Rewards:
lestodante

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » Friday December 7th, 2018 9:50pm

Just says they do not receive treasure. Nothing about using potions or equipment.

I would allow passing them a potion to use.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Saturday December 8th, 2018 2:39am

Ok, so I played Xanon Pass and Trial by Ice again tonight... it was successful. Xanon Pass requires 2 Elixirs of Life and 1 Potion of Healing... the fact that she drew 2 Potions of Healing from the Treasure deck was a great help, but unfortunately she had to use all of them after the Polar Warbear... I even added chainmail on the weapons rack in addition to the shield she finds in the tomb.
Unfortunately though, she died in Trial by Ice, I added a Potion of Healing in one bookcase, a Potion of Icey Strength in the cupboard, a potion of Warmth on the Fireplace, a Tool Kit under the Torture Rack, and 2 Spell Scrolls on the sorcerer's Table (She drew Heal Body and Skate). Although she succeeded in killing Krag and all monsters it was the Icey River, of all things, that killed her as she was leaving the quest...
More tests will be needed. I want the Female Barbarian to survive, but I don't want to make it too easy...

Anyhow, thanks for the info on the mercenaries.
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Postby lestodante » Saturday December 8th, 2018 9:15am

j_dean80 wrote:Just says they do not receive treasure. Nothing about using potions or equipment.
I would allow passing them a potion to use.

According to the instructions they should not, but I will also allow them to pass and use potions when required.

Rewards:
lestodante

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Frozen Horror