• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

What's the harm in adding a 5th hero?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

What's the harm in adding a 5th hero?

Postby wallydubbs » Friday October 26th, 2018 1:30pm

My crew and I haven't gotten to Frozen Horror yet, but out of most reviews I've read, this is the hardest.

It comes with a Female Barbarian, and yet we're only allowed one barbarian per quest. Reviewing the quest maps it seems like the biggest issue is space, even with Mercenaries sometimes the monsters are packed so closely together you can't get all the heroes in at once. Even in some places you open a door and caught between 2 Polar Warbears, which is practically instant death. Mercenaries are cannon fodder, you can always buy more. Do 2 barbarians really make it that much easier?
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Ye Olde Inn is proudly hosted by

Proudly Hosted by MDD Hosting

Host your Website at MDD Hosting by clicking the logo above and Ye Olde Inn will receive a commission that we'll put toward keeping Ye Olde Inn online for everyone to enjoy!

Re: What's the harm in adding a 5th hero?

Postby Count Mohawk » Friday October 26th, 2018 1:39pm

If you're talking about the Frozen Horror specifically... well, that Quest Pack is not well-balanced at all, so a 5th Hero would definitely help the Heroes survive longer in the harsh wintery conditions.

However, most of the other Quest Packs are designed around having exactly 4 Heroes. By adding a 5th one, you not only increase the Heroes' ability to clear rooms of monsters more quickly, but also give them an extra pool of Body Points to deplete, which makes it that much harder for any one of them to die. Mercenaries do a similar thing, but since they're a lot less durable they have a much smaller impact on the game's balance.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Friday October 26th, 2018 2:50pm

Yes, we added the Female Barbarian (Barbarella) to our group.
The Admiral

Ogre
Ogre

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Friday October 26th, 2018 3:02pm

I did the balancing for the Base game, downloadable in my signature. There, in the original (not in my sig), 4 heroes are too many, with one or two exceptions.

That changes radically in the late quests of frozen horror or Mage of the Mirror.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday October 26th, 2018 3:57pm

I play with bigger squares (40mm) which allows original 2x3 furniture to take only 1x2 squares.
This opens up a lot of space, even in the original quests, for more heroes and monsters both.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » Sunday October 28th, 2018 9:54pm

People can get on tables in our game. It only counts as 2 squares though, opening up a larger area to attack and a larger area to be attacked. Opponent is -1CD6, it's good to attack from a table but not to be attacked when on it.

I'd only consider 5 Heroes if adding all my EW mods. Monster traits. Weapons Damage. EW Tokens (or Cards). Double 1's = Hazard!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqo ... FhLaG9hS1U

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Monday March 11th, 2019 3:27pm

Yes, I meant specifically for Frozen Horror. I was thinking, contrary to what the quest booklet says, having the Female Barbarian go through a modified (and doable) version of the 3 solo quests and then joins up with the 4 established heroes.
It's debatable on how to do this, Anderas and I both have separate suggestions on this:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4452&start=30

But I've playtested 5 out of the 6/7 group quests and found that it doesn't throw the balance off by much. It was still challenging. It's a space issue, the mercenaries take up most of the offensive anyway, which there is practically no limit to. In fact, the distribution of wealth makes it more difficult to afford mercenaries in the later quests.

Drastic as it was, destroying the Scepter of Glacial Majesty killed 3 Mercenaries.
Even more depressing, the Female Barbarian slipped on the ice and fell into the bottomless chasm... it was bound to happen to somebody...
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Return to The Frozen Horror