Failed to playtest

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby wallydubbs » Thursday April 25th, 2019 8:26am

Not terrible, he didn't really have any information as to what entailed these other quest books. He did mention the drawings he made that he never saw used, such as the Minotaur, Centaur, Female Wizard and Queen. Many of his drawings were used for the elf quest pack, but he was never involved in any of the game play or cards. I don't think he ever even played Hero Quest to be honest, he was just hired to do some art work.
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Thursday October 18th, 2018 7:15am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby Kurgan » Thursday April 25th, 2019 7:21pm

Thanks for the update! Ah, what might have been...
User avatar
Kurgan

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Saturday February 23rd, 2019 7:08pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby Pancho » Friday April 26th, 2019 2:51am

Good on you for trying Wallydubs.

Do we have a clear idea at this point which of the new monsters in the artwork were supposed to go with each quest pack? For example, the Centaurs, Minotaur, and I think I remember giant spiders and sabre-tooth cats from Toco's website. Which of these were supposed to go with the Dwarf and which ones with the Wizard?


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wednesday April 12th, 2017 10:43am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby wallydubbs » Friday April 26th, 2019 2:49pm

Pancho wrote:Do we have a clear idea at this point which of the new monsters in the artwork were supposed to go with each quest pack? For example, the Centaurs, Minotaur, and I think I remember giant spiders and sabre-tooth cats from Toco's website. Which of these were supposed to go with the Dwarf and which ones with the Wizard?


From what I gathered from Kueker they only employed him for the Elf and Wizard quest packs. In fact, it didn't even seem like he knew what a Dwarf was... that or his hearing was way off (excusable as he's 86 years old). One of the drawings I've seen depicts a Dwarf weilding a war hammer, but when Kueker described it he called it "a bearded soldier." When I tried to correct him, stating it was a "Dwarf", he couldn't quite understand what I was trying to tell him.

From my understanding the Centaur and Minotaur were meant for the Wizard quest packs; the Sabertooth Tiger was another option for the Elf Quest Pack, but someone decided to go with the Giant Wolf instead. I don't recall him saying anything about Giant Spiders.

He didn't really want me showing off his art, as he seemed very protective over it and was weary that others would try to steal it and make money off of it. Though when I tried to assure him that wasn't the case he suddenly grew defensive.

He did mention that someone else asked him about it years before, which I assume might have been Taco... so I didn't learn anything new as this information had already funneled back through him.
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 520
Joined: Thursday October 18th, 2018 7:15am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby Pancho » Monday April 29th, 2019 8:30am

wallydubbs wrote:
Pancho wrote:Which of these were supposed to go with the Dwarf and which ones with the Wizard?


In fact, it didn't even seem like he knew what a Dwarf was... that or his hearing was way off (excusable as he's 86 years old). One of the drawings I've seen depicts a Dwarf weilding a war hammer, but when Kueker described it he called it "a bearded soldier." When I tried to correct him, stating it was a "Dwarf", he couldn't quite understand what I was trying to tell him.

Well that must have been awkward :shock:


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wednesday April 12th, 2017 10:43am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby The Admiral » Monday April 29th, 2019 8:49am

In my Wizard quest pack I used the Minotaur, Ratman and Giant Spider as my best guesses.
As Wallydubbs says, the Sabretooth appears to be an alternative for the Giant Wolf. This only leaves the Centaur, which I think was for the Dwarf quest pack. The Wizard quest was apparently finished and would therefore have had three of the known 4 monsters designed.
The Admiral

Ogre
Ogre
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wednesday April 8th, 2015 7:31am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby Pancho » Monday April 29th, 2019 8:50am

wallydubbs wrote:
Pancho wrote:Do we have a clear idea at this point which of the new monsters in the artwork were supposed to go with each quest pack? For example, the Centaurs, Minotaur, and I think I remember giant spiders and sabre-tooth cats from Toco's website. Which of these were supposed to go with the Dwarf and which ones with the Wizard?


From what I gathered from Kueker they only employed him for the Elf and Wizard quest packs. In fact, it didn't even seem like he knew what a Dwarf was... that or his hearing was way off (excusable as he's 86 years old). One of the drawings I've seen depicts a Dwarf weilding a war hammer, but when Kueker described it he called it "a bearded soldier." When I tried to correct him, stating it was a "Dwarf", he couldn't quite understand what I was trying to tell him.

From my understanding the Centaur and Minotaur were meant for the Wizard quest packs; the Sabertooth Tiger was another option for the Elf Quest Pack, but someone decided to go with the Giant Wolf instead. I don't recall him saying anything about Giant Spiders.

He didn't really want me showing off his art, as he seemed very protective over it and was weary that others would try to steal it and make money off of it. Though when I tried to assure him that wasn't the case he suddenly grew defensive.

He did mention that someone else asked him about it years before, which I assume might have been Taco... so I didn't learn anything new as this information had already funneled back through him.

That's very interesting.
Are you sure that the Sabretooth Tiger was intended for the EQP and then substituted for giant wolves, rather than the tiger being a separate Monster for one of the unreleased packs? I don't think it's clear from Toco's website either way, so is this something that Kueker confirmed in your conversation?

Would you agree that the list of monsters could be something like this;
- Sabretooth Tiger (either scrapped from EQP, or intended for WQP or DQP)
- Centaur (WQP)
- Minotaur (WQP)
- Ratmen (WQP or DQP)
- Giant spider (WQP or DQP)
- Any other monsters I haven't mentioned?

Going by precedent set by the EQP & BQP there were usually 3 new monster miniatures added plus a Boss villain (although the Ogres in EQP were not really new as they were in ATOH).
So the number of monsters in my list above would be about right, although its obviously missing the Bosses.
In regards to the new Heroes I think the one on the left is the female wizard and the one on the right is the new dwarf Hero (maybe they decided in the early stages not to have a female dwarf because the idea of lady dwarves are a bit weird)?
Image

Edit; although if Kueker says he didn't work on the DQP then the guy on the right couldn't be a dwarf. Maybe its a new mercenary intended for the WQP?

Edit 2; although going by the logic of my first edit then none of the other monsters could have been for the DQP, and they were all ideas for the WQP. Say the tiger was scrapped from the EQP, that leaves the Minotaur, Centaur, Ratmen and Giant spiders as possible monsters all for the WQP (and leaving us none the wiser for what was intended for the Dwarf to face).


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wednesday April 12th, 2017 10:43am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby The Admiral » Monday April 29th, 2019 9:14am

Pancho wrote:Would you agree that the list of monsters could be something like this;
- Sabretooth Tiger (either scrapped from EQP, or intended for WQP or DQP)
- Centaur (WQP)
- Minotaur (WQP)
- Ratmen (WQP or DQP)
- Giant spider (WQP or DQP)
- Any other monsters I haven't mentioned?

Going by precedent set by the EQP & BQP there were usually 3 new monster miniatures added plus a Boss villain (although the Ogres in EQP were not really new as they were in ATOH).
So the number of monsters in my list above would be about right, although its obviously missing the Bosses.
In regards to the new Heroes I think the one on the left is the female wizard and the one on the right is the new dwarf Hero (maybe they decided in the early stages not to have a female dwarf because the idea of lady dwarves are a bit weird)?


Yes, both published QP's had 3 monster types with a 3/2/2 configuration. 3 Ice Gremlins, 2 Yetis and 2 Polar Warbears, and 3 Giant Wolves, 2 Elf Archers, 2 Elf Swordsmen. I am sure the WQP would have followed the same 3/2/2 formula from your list above.

The BQP has the henchmen figures from the EU HQ advanced edition. The EQP has the Ogre figures from AtOH. It is my belief that the WQP would have had the 4 Evil Wizards from WoM. The Female wizard is a definate, and the boss unknown.
The Admiral

Ogre
Ogre
 
Posts: 865
Joined: Wednesday April 8th, 2015 7:31am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby Pancho » Monday April 29th, 2019 9:24am

The Admiral wrote:
Pancho wrote:Would you agree that the list of monsters could be something like this;
- Sabretooth Tiger (either scrapped from EQP, or intended for WQP or DQP)
- Centaur (WQP)
- Minotaur (WQP)
- Ratmen (WQP or DQP)
- Giant spider (WQP or DQP)
- Any other monsters I haven't mentioned?

Going by precedent set by the EQP & BQP there were usually 3 new monster miniatures added plus a Boss villain (although the Ogres in EQP were not really new as they were in ATOH).
So the number of monsters in my list above would be about right, although its obviously missing the Bosses.
In regards to the new Heroes I think the one on the left is the female wizard and the one on the right is the new dwarf Hero (maybe they decided in the early stages not to have a female dwarf because the idea of lady dwarves are a bit weird)?


Yes, both published QP's had 3 monster types with a 3/2/2 configuration. 3 Ice Gremlins, 2 Yetis and 2 Polar Warbears, and 3 Giant Wolves, 2 Elf Archers, 2 Elf Swordsmen. I am sure the WQP would have followed the same 3/2/2 formula from your list above.

The BQP has the henchmen figures from the EU HQ advanced edition. The EQP has the Ogre figures from AtOH. It is my belief that the WQP would have had the 4 Evil Wizards from WoM. The Female wizard is a definate, and the boss unknown.

I'd never considered that they might have re-used the 4 Evil wizards, interesting. Morcar already brought them back to life for the 5th quest so I suppose he could do it again.
Another option is that the giant spider was the boss (kinda like Shelob). I did think the minotaur could be the boss but the prototype looks a bit too puny and generic to be a true Boss...
Image


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wednesday April 12th, 2017 10:43am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Failed to playtest

Postby Pancho » Monday April 29th, 2019 9:28am

Going by the 3/2/2 configuration the WQP maybe would have had 3 ratmen/2 minotaurs/2 Centaurs (a very "bestial" kind of theme). Boss or bosses unknown.


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Elven Archer
Elven Archer
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Wednesday April 12th, 2017 10:43am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Frozen Horror

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests