Chill Spell

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

Chill Spell

Postby SirRick » Thursday February 18th, 2016 7:53am

I was reading through the catds on this site for this expansion when i noticed domething odd about the spell Chill. The spell card mentions any one hero or monster adjacent to the spell caster. The "any one" part of the phrase leads me to believe it only means one target, but the "hero or monster" part seems as if the spell should hit all figures adjacent to the caster.

Also the spell scroll is worded differently and says that any monster adjacent to the caster takes damage, which seems as if all monsters should take damage, but heroes are not mentioned on the scroll.

However both cards do mention that the spell cannot be used on creatures that are diagonally adjacent, which opens a whole new can of worms, such as if a crossbow cam be used on a diagonally adjacent creature (crossbow argument topic).

Rewards:
Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
SirRick

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Re: Chill Spell

Postby slev » Thursday February 18th, 2016 7:57am

I always ruled the scroll was just like teh spell; "any one [target type]".

FOr the spell, a plain English reading means that you can target one figure of choice from those in the target area, which is orthagonally adjacent to the caster.

The spell is effectively a melee attack.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Archmage
Archmage

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Thursday February 18th, 2016 8:51am

SirRick wrote:However both cards do mention that the spell cannot be used on creatures that are diagonally adjacent, which opens a whole new can of worms, such as if a crossbow cam be used on a diagonally adjacent creature (crossbow argument topic).
In the US rules crossbows definitely can't be used against diagonally adjacent targets. It would make long swords pointless because they cost the same as crossbows. I suppose the long sword can be used against directly adjacent targets as well but it was confirmed in The Frozen Horror. Halberdiers cost the same as crossbowmen but crossbowman can attack directly adjacent targets. This would definitely make halbirdiers redundant. I don't think diagonally adjacent is supposed to count as ranged in either version.
Football's coming home.

:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. Most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Door to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » Thursday February 18th, 2016 4:55pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
SirRick wrote:However both cards do mention that the spell cannot be used on creatures that are diagonally adjacent, which opens a whole new can of worms, such as if a crossbow cam be used on a diagonally adjacent creature (crossbow argument topic).
In the US rules crossbows definitely can't be used against diagonally adjacent targets. It would make long swords pointless because they cost the same as crossbows. I suppose the long sword can be used against directly adjacent targets as well but it was confirmed in The Frozen Horror. Halberdiers cost the same as crossbowmen but crossbowman can attack directly adjacent targets. This would definitely make halbirdiers redundant. I don't think diagonally adjacent is supposed to count as ranged in either version.

Adjacent is defined quite clearly in the rules. Diagonal is not adjacent. I agree with your Longsword/Halberdier discrepancies, but they do not change the definition of adjacent.
The Admiral

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Sunday August 28th, 2016 11:40pm

SirRick wrote:I was reading through the catds on this site for this expansion when i noticed domething odd about the spell Chill. The spell card mentions any one hero or monster adjacent to the spell caster. The "any one" part of the phrase leads me to believe it only means one target, but the "hero or monster" part seems as if the spell should hit all figures adjacent to the caster.

Try reading the "any one" onto both "Hero" and "monster" as a cohesive phrase. You get "any one Hero or monster." This works something like You can have any one apple or orange from the fruit basket. That's an offer of just one piece of fruit.

SirRick wrote:Also the spell scroll is worded differently and says that any monster adjacent to the caster takes damage, which seems as if all monsters should take damage, but heroes are not mentioned on the scroll.

However both cards do mention that the spell cannot be used on creatures that are diagonally adjacent, which opens a whole new can of worms, such as if a crossbow cam be used on a diagonally adjacent creature (crossbow argument topic).

That's unfortunate! I get the feeling a project manager at US Milton Bradley dumped a Hero Quest box on some in-house game designer: "Play this, then give me a 10 Quest expansion for the Barbarian in a month."

Gold Bearer wrote:...I the US rules crossbows definitely can't be used against diagonally adjacent targets. It would make long swords pointless because they cost the same as crossbows....

I agree. We can't have Heroes swinging falchions around. ;)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Monday August 29th, 2016 2:31am

The Admiral wrote:Adjacent is defined quite clearly in the rules. Diagonal is not adjacent. I agree with your Longsword/Halberdier discrepancies, but they do not change the definition of adjacent.

EU 2nd edition rules define from what spaces you can attack under the regular circumstances.
They also define how a figure cannot move diagonally.
But the word adjacent is never used, so there simply is no definition for it, so you cannot say that diagonal isn't adjacent.
If you find the definition in EU 1st or 2nd edition, let me know.

One more instance of sloppy writing that I've addressed in my rulebook. One more interpretable ambiguous body of text.
by the way, I also found the switching from "fight" to "combat", mixing up terminologies that make my stomach twist and turn.
The writing for HQ was outright bad. There's no other word for it.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Thursday April 13th, 2017 6:14pm

knightkrawler wrote:
The Admiral wrote:Adjacent is defined quite clearly in the rules. Diagonal is not adjacent. I agree with your Longsword/Halberdier discrepancies, but they do not change the definition of adjacent.

EU 2nd edition rules define from what spaces you can attack under the regular circumstances.
They also define how a figure cannot move diagonally.
But the word adjacent is never used, so there simply is no definition for it, so you cannot say that diagonal isn't adjacent.
If you find the definition in EU 1st or 2nd edition, let me know....

The Admiral may have been referring to the NA rules, as the BQP is an NA expansion. Though you were addressing another, allow me to take up the adjacent challenge for interest...

On p.15 of the EU 2ND edition rules under Missile Fire:

...However, you may not use the crossbow or throw a weapon if you are adjacent to your opponent.
The crossbow equipment Card has a similar restriction with adjacent. These two instances aren't definitions, but they they could refer to the defined squares a Hero can attack from (to the front, side or rear) under Attacking on p.9...if one wanted to...and some don't.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » Friday April 14th, 2017 8:20am

That's right. The writing is so bad that you would have to assume what "adjacent" means to further assume that "diagonal(ly adjacent)" isn't adjacent.
You can also assume that only those squares you can move into counting one square are adjacent, which makes the diagonal ones not adjacent,
but oh how I hate that freakin' writing of HeroQuest...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Return to The Frozen Horror