• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Polar Warbear double attack

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

Polar Warbear double attack

Postby The Admiral » May 6th, 2015, 9:09 am

I have been wandering about the mechanics of this attack?

The rules say that you may only defend against one attack. can you choose which one? i.e. does the WB make both rolls and then you decide which to defend against? If that is not the case then can you choose not to defend against the first attack if it is weak (1 skull), and gamble that the second attack isn't a total miss? Or do you have to defend against the first attack as long as at least one skull was rolled?

I must say that whichever is the case I don't like the mechanic. 8 attack dice is bad enough without hampering the poor Hero in defence as well.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Polar Warbear double attack

Postby Count Mohawk » May 6th, 2015, 9:24 am

I believe the Hero probably has to decide whether or not to block the first attack without knowing what the Warbear will do with its second blow. After all, the Warbear could in theory choose to attack two separate Heroes in its turn if it was adjacent to both, so if the first Hero doesn't block, it could choose to switch targets afterwards and waste that Hero's potential defense roll.

However, the idea that Heroes can only block one attack per monster per turn always struck me as dumb. Of all rules to disregard from the official Hero Quest ruleset, this one is probably in the top three. You could also choose to nerf the Warbear's ability down to "This monster may attack two separate Heroes on its turn" if you don't want to negate the rules entirely. We ran into this problem during the HQ25 Ye Olde Inn process with our Minotaur monster and circumvented it in much the same way. (I wonder if we'll ever finish that one)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » May 6th, 2015, 9:33 am

When we played frozen Horror we Houseruled that the PWB could either make one 8 dice attack or two 4 dice attacks on separate targets.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » May 7th, 2015, 1:36 am

The Admiral wrote:When we played frozen Horror we Houseruled that the PWB could either make one 8 dice attack or two 4 dice attacks on separate targets.

I might try that with my group if they get there. Otherwise, we agreed that all attacks may be defended, instead of just one for both Heroes and Monsters. The Frozen Horror is tough enough and so is the Warbear.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 3rd, 2015, 1:29 pm

The Admiral wrote:When we played frozen Horror we Houseruled that the PWB could either make one 8 dice attack or two 4 dice attacks on separate targets.

This works. Found on p.22 of the NA Instruction Booklet under How A Hero Defends:

A defending Hero usually rolls 2 Defend
    Dice (less if in a pit or under certain
    spells, and more after purchasing armor).
    Each white shield rolled by the defending
    Hero blocks 1 hit from the attacking monster.
It is not stated that the Defend Dice rolled only block a single attack from a monster. Rather, a Hero defends against all hits, whether from one attack, two, or even more. This is equivalent of your house-rule of defending against one 8 dice attack--but it turns out it is really just playing by the rules. Score one for you, and one for Stephen Baker.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 3rd, 2015, 1:52 pm

Wait a minute. Before your excerpt, on page 22:

The monster makes an attack roll, blablablubb
    and then
    'If hit, the Hero immediately
    defends by rolling his Defend Dice.
    '

It even is italized as if Baker had something specific in mind.
So, in the case of two attacks are against the same hero, he gets to defend twice, both times following this above instruction and if the second attack results in a skull or more.
Keep in mind that defend is not an action but rather a reaction to each and every attack as this sentence clearly shows.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » June 6th, 2015, 4:27 pm

We discussed defending against multiple attacks a while back on the Weapon Strengths apart from +1D or -1D thread (http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=2693&p=47206&hilit=Multiple#p47206)

Here is some of it...
Goblin-King wrote:
sajungzak wrote:As Zargon, I will continue to defend against multiple attacks respectively. by the way, the Frozen Horror rules regarding monsters with multiple attacks really only applies to those quests, then, right? Seems to me they should've just included it on the monster cards or in the quest notes to avoid any confusion. (or the heroes feeling gypped)

Well, that's a good question.
On one hand, the rules for heroes and monsters are generally the same. It would be logical to apply a certain rule to both.
It would also make sense for a later expansion to elaborate on certain rules/situations the base set didn't address, thus applying to the entire game.

On the other hand those are all presumptions. Unless a rule explicitly states to apply to other things, it only applies to the things it's specifically states to apply to.

And then on the third hand... HQ is basically a mess when it comes to rules... :lol:

:2cents:

sajungzak wrote:Seems that way! Id agree, that, to be fair, the rules should work both ways, if only the original instruction booklet didn't spell it out word for word both ways. They wrote it twice, once for monsters, and once for heroes. Then in BQP, it is only one way.
I think they want the Barb to die at least once, and be forced to start fresh. Maybe...
Well, now I am getting off topic.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » June 8th, 2015, 1:32 am

That's how i'd interpret the rule.

Possibly not!
Last edited by mitchiemasha on March 13th, 2019, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » June 8th, 2015, 1:42 am

mitchiemasha wrote:

Because you consider the PWB rule to overrule the game system's instruction manual?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » June 14th, 2015, 4:54 pm

knightkrawler wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:

Because you consider the PWB rule to overrule the game system's instruction manual?

in my humble opinion a special rule/ability overides the general rules.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to The Frozen Horror