• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Yeti in soloquest = instadeath

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

Re: Yeti in soloquest = instadeath

Postby knightkrawler » June 14th, 2013, 5:44 am

I am about to HEAVILY modify the Yeti.
As I don't have the mini anyway, I plan on using the Beastmen from Descent 1st ed.
Look at it, it's perfect in style and pose. It tries to seriously hug seven kinds of *lemony goodness* out of you.
It's just a little small, but that perfectly helps my cause to undo the flaws presented by Daedalus.

A Yeti in my game will have 9 Move, 2 AD, 3 DD, 1 MP, 2 BP
And the Hug ability will be modified though I don't know yet how...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sjeng » June 14th, 2013, 5:53 am

you should check out my monster card for him. I also modified him.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 18th, 2013, 3:27 pm

Okay, knightkrawler's mini-Yeti got me thinking of a couple of alternate hugs. First one is all Yeti:

Whenever a Yeti's attack causes a Hero to lose at least 1 Body Point, the mini-Yeti grabs the Hero in a powerful hug. This hug inflicts 2 Body Points of damage to the Hero at the start of the subsequent Zargon turn. The Hero cannot defend against this automatic damage, nor can he take any actions. On its next turn the Yeti must again attack and cause the Hero to lose at least 1 Body Point to continue the hug, otherwise it is broken and the Hero may act normally.
A Hero's Defend Dice become the means to break the hug using this kinder, gentler snowguy. This hug could be limited further by requiring not only undefended damage for it to be initiated, but also 2 attack results to be skulls.

This hug attack could be modified for a mini-Yeti by modifying the auto-damage down to 1 Body Point. Mini-Yetis neither sqeeze as hard nor hold on as tightly. Optionally, a minimum 2-skull roll could also be used to limit when it is initiated.

A second, alternate hug-attack would be broken with another method:

Whenever a Yeti's attack causes a Hero to lose at least 1 Body Point, the Yeti grabs the Hero in a powerful hug. This hug automatically results in 2 additional skull attack results at the start of each subsequent Zargon turn. The Hero cannot take any actions, but he may try to defend against this attack by rolling a number of Defend Dice equal to half of his starting Body Point score, rounded down. The hug is broken if both skulls are defended successfully. The Yeti can make no other attacks while hugging.
A Hero's starting Body score, a measure of his strength, determines the Defend Dice used to break this hug attack and block its damage. This would be tough, but not impossible for a lone Barbarian to accomplish. (Maybe starting Body Points should be rounded up so a Dwarf could also have a better chance.) This hug could also be limited further by requiring at least 2 skulls to be rolled for the initial attack, beyond the standard 1 Body Point of damage to the Hero.

A mini-Yeti could also use this second hug attack, but the auto-damage would only be 1 Body Point. This less daunting death-grip would make the strength check easier. I think a minimum 2-skull roll could also be used to limit when it is initiated, if desired.

A third hug attack is the simplest:

Whenever a Yeti's attack causes a Hero to lose at least 1 Body Point, the Yeti hugs and causes another 2 Body Points of damage to the Hero.
That's it. No unbreakable hug with continuing damage. It doesn't get any easier without tossing the hug attack out altogether. It could also be made less likely to occur by requiring the initial attack to also have 2 skull results.

If you're still reading, a mini-Yeti would only hug for an additional 1 Body Point of damage.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » November 11th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Would the balance be hurt in the solo quests if the yeti's were replaced with Polar warbears?
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » November 11th, 2013, 2:39 pm

I haven't played these quests too but if i were zargon i would not use any skill of those new monsters (hug, double attack & steal item) against a lonely barbarian. It's unfair and the meaning of ''gaining gold, equipment and magical items to join a party of experienced heroes'' is lost.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 11th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Probably one stealing ice gremlin would be enough.
Also, multiple double attacks will kill your lone hero pretty soon, and the hug... well, we've been over that.

My approach as the EWp is "kill, maim, give them a run for their money at least", but there's only one player for these quests.
I am however thinking about allowing two heroes for those. Or hero with two mercenaries.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » November 11th, 2013, 7:02 pm

But couldn't a geared barbarian solo a polar war bear?
Last edited by Fullork345 on November 16th, 2013, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » November 12th, 2013, 10:50 am

Fullork345 wrote:But couldn't a geared barbarian solo a polar war ear?

Polar War Ears, a thing fo (f)ear. :orc:
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » November 12th, 2013, 11:22 am

BA DUM TSSSS!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » November 16th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Sjeng wrote:
Fullork345 wrote:But couldn't a geared barbarian solo a polar war ear?

Polar War Ears, a thing fo (f)ear. :orc:

Oops!
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Frozen Horror