• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Surviving the Solo Quests: Xanon Pass

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Barbarian Quest Pack: The Frozen Horror.

Re: Surviving the Solo Quests: Xanon Pass

Postby wallydubbs » December 8th, 2018, 1:57 pm

lestodante wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:Just says they do not receive treasure. Nothing about using potions or equipment.
I would allow passing them a potion to use.

According to the instructions they should not, but I will also allow them to pass and use potions when required.

As they only have 2 body points it's likely that using a potion on one would be a waste of excess body points.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » December 8th, 2018, 2:03 pm

That's almost always the case. I have a healing with 6 Body Points in my treasure deck just to see how long my players delay until they finally use it. :lol:

Ok it has 4 BP if you use it as normal. For 6 BP you have to sacrifice your action on top. Har har you won't believe it. Once I playtested something against myself for the HQ25 project. I myself got caught in the trap, died and used the 4 BP version to survive.

I have a question:
The solo quests from the Barbarian and Elf Quest Packs: Do they give you some mercenaries at least or nothing at all?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » December 8th, 2018, 2:58 pm

wallydubbs wrote:As they only have 2 body points it's likely that using a potion on one would be a waste of excess body points.

I was referring also to other potions, like Potion of Strenght, Defense, Heroic Brew and so on...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » December 8th, 2018, 5:36 pm

j_dean80 wrote:Just says they do not receive treasure. Nothing about using potions or equipment.

I would allow passing them a potion to use.

based on that wording, potions out of the treasure deck would not be allowed, but brought potions, stuff from the armoury and artifacts would be okay. I don't think they should be allowed anything. Once you start allowing them to be given stuff, then why not take stuff off them? It would be a cheap way for the Heroes to acquire equipment such as a crossbow. I think they are best left as they are hired. Give them nothing, and take nothing off them.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » December 8th, 2018, 7:44 pm

The Admiral wrote:It would be a cheap way for the Heroes to acquire equipment such as a crossbow. I think they are best left as they are hired

He will not give you a crossbow, he need a weapon that he's skilled to use. Giving his weapon to a hero will bring him to sure dead! So he will not.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » December 9th, 2018, 2:31 pm

lestodante wrote:
The Admiral wrote:It would be a cheap way for the Heroes to acquire equipment such as a crossbow. I think they are best left as they are hired

He will not give you a crossbow, he need a weapon that he's skilled to use. Giving his weapon to a hero will bring him to sure dead! So he will not.

My point exactly. Leave them with what they have.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » December 9th, 2018, 3:12 pm

My point is instead that if you can do something in the real life, then you can also do it in HeroQuest! Then Heroquest has also the Magic that we don't have in real life.
So if I can pass a potion to a friend, also a hero can pass a potion to a mercenary. The fact that he could refuse it is another thing. But I will leave this choice to the players.
In some situation there can be a mercenary blocking the monsters and it may be useful to make him resist as long as possible in that position, so I will allow him to drink a potion or to cast a spell on him (rock skin for example).

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » December 9th, 2018, 8:24 pm

lestodante wrote:My point is instead that if you can do something in the real life, then you can also do it in HeroQuest! Then Heroquest has also the Magic that we don't have in real life.
So if I can pass a potion to a friend, also a hero can pass a potion to a mercenary. The fact that he could refuse it is another thing. But I will leave this choice to the players.
In some situation there can be a mercenary blocking the monsters and it may be useful to make him resist as long as possible in that position, so I will allow him to drink a potion or to cast a spell on him (rock skin for example).

Yes, but that works both ways. If a Hero can give a henchman something, then a Henchman can give a Hero something. I don't allow either, but it is obviously up to each EW player to decide their own rules.

Rewards:
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » December 10th, 2018, 7:47 am

Anderas wrote:I have a question:
The solo quests from the Barbarian and Elf Quest Packs: Do they give you some mercenaries at least or nothing at all?

The Barbarian is not given mercenaries in his Solo Quests, but it doesn't say anything that will restrict him from buying them...
As for the Elf Quest Pack, I don't think the game allows mercenaries. Although you can probably make adjustments to allow this; this expansion didn't come with mercenaries, so I don't think you're supposed to.

However to balance each game I'd suggest allowing the Female Barbarian and Female Elf to join the other heroes (in their respective quest packs) after the solo quests, this is why I'm trying to alter the solo quests, for an unequipped Barbarian and Elf; to make it challenging and doable, but also to bring them up to par with the rest of the heroes. This would mean adding extra equipment and potions to be found during the solo quests.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » December 10th, 2018, 8:14 am

The Admiral wrote:
lestodante wrote:My point is instead that if you can do something in the real life, then you can also do it in HeroQuest! Then Heroquest has also the Magic that we don't have in real life.

Yes, but that works both ways. If a Hero can give a henchman something, then a Henchman can give a Hero something. I don't allow either, but it is obviously up to each EW player to decide their own rules.

I wouldn't allow it, even in death. When a hero dies he drops his equipment, if a crossbowman mercenary dies and the hero just grabs the crossbow, that's like buying it at a major discount. The crossbow itself is 350 gold while the henchmen is only 75. Asides from those rare moments, if you kill a monster, do you get to take his weapon?
When Boromir died, he was sent down the river with his sword (if you go by the book he had his enemies weapons too). These mercenaries are identified by their weapons, so don't take that away from them. When they die and must be buried you honor them by burying them with their weapons.
Part of me thinks this is the reason you can get 600 gold from a chest in Mage of the Mirror... so after one dies there's enough gold to go around to buy completely new equipment.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to The Frozen Horror