• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[WIP] Serving the Empire [9 quests]

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Re: [WIP] custom questpack [9 quests] by unknown author

Postby lestodante » January 8th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Drew wrote:Ok so I think that difficulty-wise this should be played right after the game system, I think its slightly more difficult than GS so you d need some equipment but not that difficult to be played after other expansions.

The artifacts are indeed a problem though. Its true that players most luckily will have got these artifacts by then. Do players even need these artifacts for this quest pack? They could just be erased considering the players already have them or alternatively replaced by some piece of equipment or potions maybe? Or just let them be in case players have missed (or lost dying) any of them in GS? Im not sure to be honest just saying what comes to my mind. What do you think?

I think it d be better to discuss on Facebook or something to work on it faster (PMs here arent the best way of chatting) and just post frequent updates on the topic so that the community can help too.

So first I think we have to discuss all the things we need to work on:

1-Storyline. The story is plain. In my opinion we should either let the stories intact (maybe just change half the gold rewards) and write a strong Opening and Closure. Or rework all the quest stories and enhance, them making them stick and just keep the point of them intact. I think reworking all the quests would be better cause they are tooo plain, what do you think?

2-Maps/Notes. Id keep the maps intact, only small changes, maybe add a boss in Q9 like you did and maybe change a couple notes, but Id want to keep the Maps and Notes as close to the originals as possible. I mean its a rework after all, I would change only what seems necessary. What do u think.

3-Quest10. I think if we properly wrap up the storyline we dont need too. With enhancements in each quest's story and an opening and closing i think we dont need a Q10. I suggest we only make one if we cant wrap things up till Q9.

4-Artifacts. Mentioned before. I'd also just stick to the game system since the original writer wanted that, so I wouldnt add any new artifacts etc.

5-Visuals. I can do all the Photoshop. I can merge maps with story/notes, make the credits, the cover, the intro, etc. But I can't make the art for the cover, I remember you have a friend that draws amazingly so maybe you could take care of it? Or otherwise im open to suggestions.

Well, I agree about almost everything you wrote except about the cover and I do not use facebook, so better to post the discussion on the forum in this post so anyone else can join in.
I quoted DREW's message here for this this purpose and the following is my reply:

1 STORYLINE: yes, all the stories are too plain and need a boost; they look like written by a very young player (as it probably happened).

2 MAPS/NOTES: maps are not bad, we can leave them as they are unless the story will make a necessary change; OK for reducing the rewards (in number and value); now almost all notes are about finding a good reward (with a trap in the treasure chest); I would remove some reward notes (also to make more space in the note section) and write something more interesting that can improve the plot instead.

3 QUEST n.10: we'll see later if required or not, otherwise 9 quests are enough for me;

4 ARTIFACTS: I do not like the idea of re-discovering the same artifacts again, I'd prefer to create new ones. Maybe something that could be used limited times and then discarded (for example similar to the Sky Orb in the Elf Quest Pack or some new spell scrolls) so they will not affect the expansions gameplay. Also a party of Heroes that has already found the classic artifacts would like to use them in future quests so better not to declare that they can't be used anymore use and need to be found once more (it will also be boring for them).
So, I will think to 3 new artifacts that are not too much invasive for the gameplay and that can be used only for this questpack because they will be discarded later. I am thinking to 2 special weapona and 1 magic item:
1. special ARROWS that can be used with any standard crossbow and higly improve the damage inflict (they are limited in number);
2. a magic weapon (maybe a spear) that is required to kill the final boss and will self destruct once you kill him;
3. a healing stone (or a scroll) that once used allows each Hero to roll 1 red die to cure as many BP as the result of the roll (works only once or at least twice);

5 VISUALS/LAYOUT: better not to ask for a real cover, my friend did that one for "Attack to the Sleep-Wizard" and took a lot of months because he did it during his free time. It will also cost something (tough the price will be cheap anyway) so better not to ask for a cover because it's not really worth it as this is a "minor" questpack. At least I will ask for a black/white sketch, it will be useful anyway.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Drew » January 8th, 2020, 7:46 pm

1. Do you have any ideas for like the MAIN plot? With what we have as storyline I think the plot can be really flexible.
2. Agree, considering this is set after the game system (so there is no new equipment introduced either) they dont need THAT many rewards (mostly gold).
4. I really think we should stick to the game system, as the original writer did, so I wouldnt give them new artifacts. Its not like every expansion needs new artifacts. I dont know with what id replace them though.
5. Oh yes of course, I had no idea that it was that hard. Yes maybe we'll just find something to use along the way, idk. After we come up with a name and the plot it will be easier.
Drew

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:

Postby lestodante » January 9th, 2020, 1:32 pm

plot idea:
The army of the Empire are busy, preparing to go to Karak Varn (Kellar's Keep) to face Morcar's Army.
In the meanwhile the Heroes are requested to vigilate on the villages and take care of bands of monsters that terrorize and plunder the villagers taking advantage that the army is away preparing for the long battle.
I will change order of the quest 4 and 3. In quest 3 the Heroes are trapped (similar to what happened with Verag, the Gargoyle) so they will continue to quest 5...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Drew » January 9th, 2020, 4:49 pm

lestodante wrote:plot idea:
The army of the Empire are busy, preparing to go to Karak Varn (Kellar's Keep) to face Morcar's Army.
In the meanwhile the Heroes are requested to vigilate on the villages and take care of bands of monsters that terrorize and plunder the villagers taking advantage that the army is away preparing for the long battle.
I will change order of the quest 4 and 3. In quest 3 the Heroes are trapped (similar to what happened with Verag, the Gargoyle) so they will continue to quest 5...

Sounds pretty good to me.
Drew

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby lestodante » January 9th, 2020, 7:02 pm

Reworked quest 4, it is now more interesting:
in quest 2, lair of the gargoyle the heroes are trapped after defeating the Gargoyle:
"while fighting the Gargoyle a cloak of fog surrounds the room, as soon as you see a figure in the shadows you feel yourself falling asleep and lost senses". Go to quest 4!

Quest 4 - new title "Fimirs Hideaway (or Fimirs Burrow)"
Special rule for this quest:
In quest 4 the Heroes awake inside a cell and without any equipment.
Until they'll find a weapon they will attack and defend by using black shields instead of skulls or white shields.
Once a monster is killed a hero can pick up its weapon and can again attack and defend normally, according to his basic stats.
Anyway Wizard and Elf can still use their magic as no special item is required to cast a spell.
Players must collect their stuff before leaving the dungeon or they will lost it forever!

[to do on the map: Fix trap position in room A and B, cancel note D (will become E), remove 1 chest in room C...]

A. As soon as the Heroes enter the room they will notice this Fimir is wearing Borin's Armor!! He is Refner (name is ok?) and can roll white shields to defend. Its stats are: MOV: 6 ATT: 4 DEF: 4 Body: 3 Mind: 4

B. This Fimir knows some magic tricks and when a Hero will enter the room for the first time he will have immediately to defend against a "Sleep" spell and his turn ends.
The fimir can also cast "Rust" and "Cloud of Chaos" spells.
If a hero searches for traps he will not find the secret passage. A search for treasures will reveal a lever book that will make the bookcase slide on its left side. They can now search again for traps and the secret door will be found.

C. Place the chest only if a Hero goes looking behind the cupboard. The chest contains 70 gold coins and 2 scrolls: Veil of Mist" and "Stone Dust" (it's a new scroll, will be explained later).
D. (deleted)
E. All the Heroes stuff is here but Borin's Armor is missing... (it's in room A)

Wandering Monster: 2 Goblins

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » January 10th, 2020, 5:49 pm

updated Quest 1:
changed some monsters, removed undead in favour of Orcs as they fit better the mix in my opinion.
Added a note about secret door (C) as it was unexplained before.
Added a falling rock trap on the top corridor to split one unlucky hero from the group for a bit of turns. :o
Updated map 1 and 3 and swapped order for the quests 3 and 4 as announced yesterday to better develop the sequence of the quests.
Blocked all the top corridors in quest 3 to avoid wasting time in empty areas of the map.

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » January 12th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Updated quest 5, changed title and knight's name from Sir Kane to Sir Senet.
Opened an extra corridor at the top of central room infested with undeads and susbstituted undeads with greenskins from the standard rooms to not mix different genres of monsters in the same room.
Changed notes and drastically reduced treasures to be found, added a couple of spell scrolls and daggers instead.
Set the basics to develop the plot better by putting a map on the table in room D.
Also got an idea for Quest 10 that is WIP!

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » January 15th, 2020, 7:06 pm

Fixed quests from 1 to 5. They are now finished and only need a revision to avoid mistakes in the text (any volunter?).
Introduced the first new artifact to the pack, Lord Lane's Magical Arrows.

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Drew » January 17th, 2020, 3:04 pm

lestodante wrote:Fixed quests from 1 to 5. They are now finished and only need a revision to avoid mistakes in the text (any volunter?).
Introduced the first new artifact to the pack, Lord Lane's Magical Arrows.

Q1 story youd rather say "...enter the Chaos Cave, kill the two Chaos Warriors..." instead of "...enter the Chaos Cave and kill the two Chaos Warriors..." since there is another and after that, it just sounds better :P
Q1 Note B is unecessary, if it was removed it would be the exact same.
Q1 Note D maybe u could clarify which chest has the gold and which is empty.

Q2 Note B is a plothole on its own lol "Looks like this Fimir has fallen asleep. It will not notice the Heroes unless they enter the room or attack. While asleep it can't defend."
It says unless they enter the room it is asleep, well unless they enter the room it isnt a threat anyway. And it says it cant defend when asleep but it will wake up if they attack him so thats a mistake too. This whole Firmir note just doesnt make sense at all, any part of it. My suggestion: "Looks like this Fimir has fallen asleep. It will not notice the Heroes unless they attack it." Ik its simplier but the original Note doesnt make any sense.
Q2 Note D repharse: "On each turn he can try again but every time he fails the Skeleton will attack. The heroes can also use the Genie Spell to open the door immediately."
Q2 Note E you are missing a " before " the fog in the room has become deeper..."

Q3 special rules it says Quest 4 u forgot to change it there.
Q3 Note C you forgot a " before "Veil of Mist".
Drew

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby lestodante » January 17th, 2020, 6:24 pm

OK, thanks.
Q1 fixed but the note B about weapons rack is a classic weapons rack note :D . Some players may claim "there are a lot of weapons here, why I can't take any?"

Q2, sleeping Fimir: it is just sleeping. The door can be opened but a hero may chose to enter or go away. If he enters the room he will probably fall in the pit trap making some noise and awakening the monster. It can also be attacked with a spell or with a dagger/crossbow (or any other ranged weapon) without entering the room. It will not defend against the first attack but he may survive (Fimir has 2 BP in US version, not 1) it will surely awake and attack the heroes.
I also wanted to put a Heroic Brew (or a potion of speed) in the room, so if the Heroes kill the fimir they will find it, instead if the fimir is left alive when he will awake it will use the potion on his own... but I usually don't like to write notes too long so I didn't put it in; should I?

Q3, yeah, fixed too.

Any idea on Q5 in the room with the tomb? should I put something there or just the inscriptions are ok?
I need an idea for Q6 because there is once more the Gargoyle :gargoyle: menacing the villagers, like in quest 2 and I don't want to repeat.

Rewards:
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Adventurer's Guild