• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

[Complete] Summons of the Wizards' Council

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Re: Summons of the Wizards' Council - a work in progress

Postby Daedalus » November 25th, 2017, 9:52 pm

There are a few components you could add to page 3:

1 Revolving Room Tile
    2 Mirror Tiles
    +6? Game Cards*
The extra Game Cards are the Skaven spells. Perhaps you could mention them on p.5 either as part of entry #5 under The Wizards of Zargon, or just after.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby j_dean80 » November 25th, 2017, 10:07 pm

knightkrawler wrote:First, on the Special Ability:

Beginning with this Quest Pack, the Wizard will have the special ability to counter a spell cast on him.
After being targeted by a spell, he may roll a combat die to counter the spell and see if he may ignore all its effects. If the Wizard has more Mind Points than the spellcaster, he must roll a skull to successfully counter the spell. If he has fewer Mind Points, he must roll a white shield to do so.
If a spell is successfully countered, the spellcaster must discard it without it taking any effect whatsoever, but the Wizard must also discard any one of his unused spells.

No qualms with this. If I remember it correctly, you took that excerpt from WoM unchanged,
so I only checked for orthographical errors, of which there were none.

Great job all around!
One of the best quest packs I've seen.

What about something like: "The Wizard may counter any spell cast within his line of sight."
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 25th, 2017, 10:11 pm

Daedalus wrote:There are a few components you could add to page 3:

1 Revolving Room Tile
    2 Mirror Tiles
    +6? Game Cards*
The extra Game Cards are the Skaven spells. Perhaps you could mention them on p.5 either as part of entry #5 under The Wizards of Zargon, or just after.

The tiles should already be familiar from previously played Quest Packs.
I should mention the Skaven Spells perhaps under "Additional Components Needed:"

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 26th, 2017, 4:22 am

j_dean80 wrote:

Beginning with this Quest Pack, the Wizard will have the special ability to counter a spell cast on him.
After being targeted by a spell, he may roll a combat die to counter the spell and see if he may ignore all its effects. If the Wizard has more Mind Points than the spellcaster, he must roll a skull to successfully counter the spell. If he has fewer Mind Points, he must roll a white shield to do so.
If a spell is successfully countered, the spellcaster must discard it without it taking any effect whatsoever, but the Wizard must also discard any one of his unused spells.

No qualms with this. If I remember it correctly, you took that excerpt from WoM unchanged,

Great job all around!

What about something like: "The Wizard may counter any spell cast within his line of sight."

Aaaah, so it doesn'T matter if he's the actual target. Got it.

Beginning with this Quest Pack, the Wizard will have the special ability to counter a spell.
Immediately after a spell has been cast in his line of sight, he may roll a combat die to counter it and thus nullify all its effects. If the Wizard has more Mind Points than the spellcaster, he must roll a skull to successfully counter the spell. If he has fewer Mind Points, he must roll a white shield to do so.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » November 26th, 2017, 9:22 am

Daedalus wrote:There are a few components you could add to page 3:

1 Revolving Room Tile
    2 Mirror Tiles
    +6? Game Cards*

Added it to "Additional Components Needed:" and changed Wizards of Zargon to say 5 spell groups.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » November 26th, 2017, 10:28 am

knightkrawler wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:

Great job all around!

Aaaah, so it doesn'T matter if he's the actual target. Got it.

Beginning with this Quest Pack, the Wizard will have the special ability to counter a spell.
Immediately after a spell has been cast in his line of sight, he may roll a combat die to counter it and thus nullify all its effects. If the Wizard has more Mind Points than the spellcaster, he must roll a skull to successfully counter the spell. If he has fewer Mind Points, he must roll a white shield to do so.

Updated it in my words. Hope that works now.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » December 8th, 2017, 11:30 pm

Ok so I play-tested Quest 1 with a new Wizard and died horribly. Did not follow the "code" on the room order though. Will try again.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » December 9th, 2017, 12:48 am

Aye, my wizard survived only barely, only on the perfect path and with the help of a magical throwing dagger.
But I wouldn't want to miss that epic Gargoyle fight.

Just some ideas to choose from:
Would you add a magical throwing dagger somewhere?
Maybe a hint in the quest that the top left corner is to be left alone?
Or the barbarian stays with the wizard willingly and asks for payment only once the quest is over?
Or you can free not only the barbarian but also a helbardier, probably in another corner of the quest?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » December 9th, 2017, 3:33 am

Anderas wrote:Aye, my wizard survived only barely, only on the perfect path and with the help of a magical throwing dagger.
But I wouldn't want to miss that epic Gargoyle fight.

Just some ideas to choose from:
Would you add a magical throwing dagger somewhere?
Maybe a hint in the quest that the top left corner is to be left alone?
Or the barbarian stays with the wizard willingly and asks for payment only once the quest is over?
Or you can free not only the barbarian but also a helbardier, probably in another corner of the quest?

The first time I snuck past the Gargoyle (Sleep and Veil of Mist) only to get trapped in the Torture room (by the awakening Gargoyle). Freed the Barbarian who got one damage from the Gargoyle and split. (Wizard had only 35 coins from a Treasure card). So second try I headed to top left where the money is and the Chaos Warrior made quick work.

The 1 BP loss from a Magical Throwing Dagger wouldn't be sufficient.
I'm thinking the Barbarian takes 50 coins from the Wizard per BP loss after the original Quest ends (not optional for the Wizard) If the Wizard doesn't have enough coins then the Barbarian takes all he has and splits before the Cabiri.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » December 9th, 2017, 11:08 pm

Ok that played out great. So I confirmed the Quest is beatable with a new Wizard. I chose Fire, Air, and Water this time, that along with the edited Barbarian rule.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Adventurer's Guild