• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Building a new Quest Pack: feedback is appreciated

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Re: Building a new Quest Pack: feedback is appreciated

Postby j_dean80 » February 9th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Quest 16 is finished and this will present a tough challenge for a party of Heroes. Have fun.

Notes for Quest 16:

Jungle God Spells:
Buluc Chabtan - This spell may be cast on any monster in the same room as the spellcaster, including the spellcaster. It gives the monster 2 extra Combat Dice on attack. The effects last until the monster loses 1 Body Point.

Wind - This spell conjures up a strong wind which engulfs and takes away 1 weapon from any Hero in the same room as the spellcaster. (Zargon may choose any weapon except an Artifact.)

Wisdom - This spell takes away 1 Mind Point from any Hero in the same room as the spellcaster and adds it to the spellcaster's total Mind Points. This spell may be used by the spellcaster on an unlimited number of turns. A Hero reduced to 0 Mind Points may be controlled by Zargon on Zargon's turns. The Hero may still take his normal turns.

Quest 16 link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9eign2q25r63zr/J16-Feathered%20Serpent.pdf?dl=0
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby cynthialee » February 9th, 2017, 3:34 pm

j_dean80 wrote:I wasn't participating in the argument hoping that it would just blow over as I am just posting here looking for help from people.

I gave the reason the Wizard may not wear the fur...it is too thick and heavy for a Wizard to wield...the fur in the definition is impenetrable thus making it impossible for a tailor to adjust it.

if it is ultimately impenetrable, then how was it removed from the carcass?
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » February 9th, 2017, 3:53 pm

See what I'm talking about?
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby clmckay » February 9th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Alrighty.....Just a quick opinion to divert away from Wizard's Robes.

I like the last 2 quests. I think the organization of the quest is nice, I like the differed starting points and general layout.

In #16 I particularly like the symmetry of the floors. Normally I hate splitting a room with blocked square tiles, but in this one case I think it works nicely.

I'm not a fan of the dragon strike boards. This is odd for me, as I love using alternate boards. I have the DS boards but have only used them once. I just don't like the layout on them.

I think the beauty of peoples custom quest packs is the ability to adjust it for everyone's play groups. I personally would change the narrative up a bit and make a new story around it. Whenever someone looks at anyone else's Questpacks I think it's important to consider the mechanics and quests themselves. Adjust the story, setting and individual artifacts and equipment to reflect your group. By and large, I think your items work well. I don't have a problem with pricing, because as you said, the regular armoury isn't there. I don't like some of the names, as they are kinda real-world specific. (I hate that there's a Bretonnia map out there that has a location called Carcassonne, really bother's me), so I personally would name it something different. - But - the function is good. Actually, as I thought about your pricing scheme over the past some time, I really think it mechanically fits. I really don't have a problem with buying something functionally identical to a dagger (with a different name), if it fits the story *and* the other items in a decent power and price curve.

Quickly on your spells. I like them. I think they are mechanically sound. Oftentimes there's a drive to make crazy OP spells. I think yours are well balanced. The only one I would question is "Wisdom". It may be too much with the repeat value. Maybe limit it to only one or two times, three at the outside, depending on your Hero configuration and loadout.

There. Good Job. Thanks for sharing.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » February 9th, 2017, 6:04 pm

cynthialee wrote:
j_dean80 wrote:I wasn't participating in the argument hoping that it would just blow over as I am just posting here looking for help from people.

I gave the reason the Wizard may not wear the fur...it is too thick and heavy for a Wizard to wield...the fur in the definition is impenetrable thus making it impossible for a tailor to adjust it.

if it is ultimately impenetrable, then how was it removed from the carcass?

Not to get into the mechanics of skinning an animal...but ya don't puncture the hide while doing so. You separate the skin from the flesh. I guess if I have to get super technical I should call it a furry poncho as it doesn't open, only has holes in it for arms, neck, and lower torso. Just figured calling it a coat was simpler, my mistake.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » February 9th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Every hide I have taken off an animal (and it is a large number) required at least a few cuts in strategic places.

Anyways...I get it the idea of rolling a bunch of defend dice for the Wizard is so terrible that we will go through all manner of mental gymnastics to find reasons why any particular situation will not work for the chap.

I think the hide is a great idea, but making an arbitrary ruling in this fashion is kind of silly in my mind. By the time heroes are playing this dungeon and getting the quest rewards listed they are bad ass dudes. Simple heroes are not going into this dungeon.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » February 9th, 2017, 7:12 pm

clmckay wrote:Alrighty.....Just a quick opinion to divert away from Wizard's Robes.

I like the last 2 quests. I think the organization of the quest is nice, I like the differed starting points and general layout.

In #16 I particularly like the symmetry of the floors. Normally I hate splitting a room with blocked square tiles, but in this one case I think it works nicely.

I'm not a fan of the dragon strike boards. This is odd for me, as I love using alternate boards. I have the DS boards but have only used them once. I just don't like the layout on them.

I think the beauty of peoples custom quest packs is the ability to adjust it for everyone's play groups. I personally would change the narrative up a bit and make a new story around it. Whenever someone looks at anyone else's Questpacks I think it's important to consider the mechanics and quests themselves. Adjust the story, setting and individual artifacts and equipment to reflect your group. By and large, I think your items work well. I don't have a problem with pricing, because as you said, the regular armoury isn't there. I don't like some of the names, as they are kinda real-world specific. (I hate that there's a Bretonnia map out there that has a location called Carcassonne, really bother's me), so I personally would name it something different. - But - the function is good. Actually, as I thought about your pricing scheme over the past some time, I really think it mechanically fits. I really don't have a problem with buying something functionally identical to a dagger (with a different name), if it fits the story *and* the other items in a decent power and price curve.

Quickly on your spells. I like them. I think they are mechanically sound. Oftentimes there's a drive to make crazy OP spells. I think yours are well balanced. The only one I would question is "Wisdom". It may be too much with the repeat value. Maybe limit it to only one or two times, three at the outside, depending on your Hero configuration and loadout.

There. Good Job. Thanks for sharing.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

I agree the story line could be tweaked, it is probably one of my biggest things I was hoping to get help with. No one volunteered to help with the Pack so I had to take it on by myself. Sometimes you get a lot of ideas in your head and just have to run with it, so ignoring the Pack creation wasn't an option for me, so I went it alone.

The names I used I didn't feel like they forced anything. I felt like they could be placed in any Jungle in the world or fantasy world. The only place name I actually used was for one river. (That name just came out of my head so doesn't represent a real place.) The monsters on the other hand are named from real myths and legends of the Amazon Jungle as that is the theme from where this all developed. Not sure the names hurt any placement of where this can take place other than the fact most are in Spanish or Portuguese. I suppose someone playing could create their own names if they didn't like these. Won't hurt my feelings any, I'll just be glad people are enjoying the Pack.

The Wisdom Spell I originally had it as once. I changed it because of the fact the second part of that spell would never come to be because a Hero would never reach 0 MP. A Hero only losing 1 MP doesn't really affect them in the game.

I can still change stuff as I haven't "published" the Quest Pack yet. With that said, suggestions on how to change it for the better would be great.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » February 9th, 2017, 7:25 pm

cynthialee wrote:Every hide I have taken off an animal (and it is a large number) required at least a few cuts in strategic places.

Anyways...I get it the idea of rolling a bunch of defend dice for the Wizard is so terrible that we will go through all manner of mental gymnastics to find reasons why any particular situation will not work for the chap.

I think the hide is a great idea, but making an arbitrary ruling in this fashion is kind of silly in my mind. By the time heroes are playing this dungeon and getting the quest rewards listed they are bad ass dudes. Simple heroes are not going into this dungeon.

Just to be clear I am not trying to argue, I have no issue with anyone here including yourself. Merely am explaining the reasoning on my part. If you play this Pack and feel the Wizard needs the Fur then implement it as a house rule. I have no problem with that at all. I am just glad to have people enjoying playing the Pack. The Wizard does have items specifically designed for him in this Pack as well though. Bamboo Bracers are only worn by the Wizard without any explanation as to why on my part. Same goes for wielding the Shaman Staff. I just felt the Wizard needed some aids the others couldn't have.

You should check out my Quest Pack called Erendum. It features an Artifact that is a lightweight armor that any Hero may wear.

Rewards:
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby clmckay » February 9th, 2017, 8:42 pm

cynthialee wrote:Every hide I have taken off an animal (and it is a large number) required at least a few cuts in strategic places.

Ya know what really bothers me? Not this piddly stuff. It actually makes a hair of sense in certain regards. No, it's the Wizard being the only one to be able to wear the bracers. Now THAT makes no sense. They're not described as magical.....it would actually make more sense for it to be a warriors equipment. How come everyone dicks around with "oh but the fur" or "oh but the short sword", when this is the real travesty. No bracers for the warrior (but lets not get all technical about what "bracer's" really are).

PS....all tongue in cheek. I don't want any arguing over this. Sad I even have to write that.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby StratosVX » February 9th, 2017, 11:14 pm

Play the quests and let the Wizard wear it. Problem solved. It's simple, really.

clmckay wrote:Quickly on your spells. I like them. I think they are mechanically sound. Oftentimes there's a drive to make crazy OP spells. I think yours are well balanced. The only one I would question is "Wisdom". It may be too much with the repeat value. Maybe limit it to only one or two times, three at the outside, depending on your Hero configuration and loadout.

Another way you could keep powerful spells from being OP is to make them into spell scrolls. That way you can introduce a powerful spell but the Heroes can't abuse it.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member