• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Base Quests in four difficulty steps

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Re: Base Quests in four difficulty steps

Postby lucasdp » Thursday January 14th, 2016 2:08pm

We're hoping to play Castle of Mystery this weekend, and I like the idea of the lever that can reset the number for the 2/12 door. But I'm thinking of just putting it in the room with the Orcs, rather than behind a secret door.
My reasoning for this is that I usually let the heroes know ahead of time if there are no traps or secret doors, mostly to save time, and there were no secret doors in the original quest.
Or am I thinking about this wrong? Is there a good reason to let the heroes search other rooms in vain and maybe find that one secret door if they search the right room?

(Never played Castle of Mystery before! Looking forward to the new and different mechanics of it!)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Anderas » Friday January 15th, 2016 2:47am

You can put it in the same room why not.
The Castle of mystery has one big Problem: finding the exit can take forever. The rest of the quest is quite fun. This is why I placed the lever: with it he Heroes can randomly switch the numbers of the exit and it will hopefully not take forever to get out.
Would you show the heroes which number is where? It would be kind of a prerequisite... OK after the first discovery of a room of course, not before.

The secret door is there because I liked th the thought of a hero group finding the secret control room of the setting. But you're right it has a good chance not to be found, so maybe it is better directly in the room.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » Friday January 15th, 2016 1:35pm

Yeah, I looked up dice probabilities to prep for this quest:

2 - 2.78%
3 - 5.56%
4 - 8.33%
5 - 11.11%
6 - 13.89%
7 - 16.67%
8 - 13.89%
9 - 11.11%
10 - 8.33%
11 - 5.56%
12 - 2.78%

With that in mind, I agree that giving them the chance to reset the exit door is good if the quest starts to drag.

Yeah, they will have to figure out the room numbers as they go. I'm not going to tell them. |_P

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » Wednesday January 20th, 2016 5:19pm

Well, we played Castle of Mystery and somehow my heroes NEVER rolled a four when going through doors, so I can't really say that I playtested your lever. :lol:

Having finally played this quest, I can see why people are split in opinion about it. My heroes HATED this quest. So much so, that they insisted on playing a "normal" quest afterwards (when we usually only play one quest in an evening). My heroes have figured out that the key to success in this game is teamwork, so they hate getting split up.
Which of course means that I, Zargon, was having a wonderful time. :twisted: Lots of BP was lost, the Dwarf was killed. The Wizard somehow survived the two Chaos Warriors to find the Ring of Return, and promptly used it as soon as he was down to one BP with no more healing spells.
Basically, as soon as they figured out what was going on in this quest, they all left as soon as they could. Even before finding out it was fool's gold, they had scrapped the idea of everyone getting their own bag of gold.

Castle of Mystery is a weird one, for sure. I hope to get a chance to inflict it on a different set of heroes someday.

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Thursday January 21st, 2016 3:02pm

Weird yes, but it really can be fun.
If your group didn't like it, ok - nothing to be done about it :)
It's one of the most difficult quest, by the way, and just because the group gets masterly split up. :)

What quest did you play afterwards?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » Friday January 22nd, 2016 8:08pm

Afterwards, we played "Narran's Seal," Quest 3 from Lord Narran's Battles (Agin's quest pack based on Dragon Strike). I just updated my thread on that if you are interested. |_P

Rewards:
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kitch1982 » Friday February 19th, 2016 10:45am

Andreas, this is fantastic! I'm currently playing all the quests again, don't suppose you have any plans to re-do the extension packs like this?

I have some over powered heroes plus an additional hero playing at the moment (5 heroes in all). Would be great to have a way of making it more of a challenge for them :twisted:
Kitch1982

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » Friday February 19th, 2016 2:47pm

Thanks Kitch!

Yes it is in the plan. But as Count Mohawk and Slev may possibly confirm, i am absolutely out of time at the moment. I hope that changes soon but there is just no guarantee. I need two or three hours per quest, so that's not nothing.

Most needs the part where i think if i could possibly incorporate a quest objective that can be lost. Besides, i never got feedback about that Necromancer who wants to steal the Talisman of Lore, and i didn't playtested that one quest. So if you do it, please give feedback. Thanks!

Rewards:
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » Friday February 19th, 2016 3:01pm

Anderas wrote:Thanks Kitch! Yes it is in the plan. But as Count Mohawk and Slev may possibly confirm, i am absolutely out of time at the moment.

+1. Slev has been planning a bunch of stuff behind the scenes, some of which Anderas is privy to but unable to spare the time to give a thorough once-over.

If you want to try adjusting the Quests yourself in the meantime, you might consider trying out my Questimator (linked in my sig) and attempting to hash out a room layout yourself...

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » Friday February 19th, 2016 7:16pm

Yeah, Anderas desperately needs moar minions to do his bidding!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Adventurer's Guild