• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Legacy of the White Mage [12 quests]

The secret catacombs where members gather to discuss Quests in progress and contribute to community Quest projects.

Legacy of the White Mage [12 quests]

Postby mikemacdee » June 9th, 2013, 7:42 pm

Anyone wanting to provide feedback can get it here. I had it posted in another thread, but now it's a much bigger project than when I started it. I'm trying to make this adventure a high-stakes epic for seasoned heroes, with Men-at-Arms, undead, and Skaven (or greenskins if the players don't have Skaven) as the main adversaries. Heroes often go several quests in a row without resupplying at the shop, thus are forced to rely on whatever items they find.

Alkanis was once a powerful nation, but their most recent war plunged the land into two generations of famine and disease, leaving the easily-corrupted ration-holders as the de facto rulers of each city. In the capital city Cirius, our heroes attempt an expedition to the manse of the reclusive White Mage, whose powers may restore life to the land and save its people from the ration-holders...except the expedition is stopped by Sheriff Gallos, the most brutal ration-holder of them all. The heroes must escape the Sheriff and see the expedition through, or die trying.

I still lack reliable Skaven stats though.

UPDATE 6/10/2013
Been doing a playthrough with four fresh heroes, adjusting the adventure as I go. There's a lot of variety here now that I step back and look at it: the adventure ended up unintentionally divided into chapters every three or four quests (escape the law, Dawn of the Dead, mysterious wizard manor, etc) and each "chapter" could easily be played separately as its own smaller adventure.

So far there have been several close calls, one or two where I let a doomed hero survive the Quest just on the sheer merit of his/her moxie.
Example: Karnak the Magnificent is a pansy Wizard. At the end of the City Constabulary quest he had no spells, he had a single, solitary body point, and he was the last of the heroes to leave the dungeon. He was two spaces away from the exit door -- remember, with 1 body point and no spells -- when he got completely surrounded by 3 scouts and 2 halberdiers, with one scout (1 bp remaining also) blocking the exit door. I decided if Karnak survived all 5 attacks, then managed to kill or even hit the scout at the door, I'd award him with a narrow escape. And he did it.

And so far everyone has taken one or more turns being carried out of the dungeon like a sack of groceries.

Also, I thought of a way to balance the fact that I know where everything is while playtesting: when I get to an area with traps or secret doors, I have the hero roll a red die for each mind point. If he rolls a 6, he searches (as in, he takes the cautious approach). Later if a situation seems suspiciously familiar ("wait, last time this happened, I got electrocuted!") he does the smart thing on a 5 or 6.
Last edited by mikemacdee on June 25th, 2013, 2:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game.
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: WIP Campaign: Legacy of the White Mage [12 quests]

Postby mikemacdee » June 11th, 2013, 7:59 am

At the final "chapter" of the playthrough and I'm pretty excited about this project now. A couple of the quests are genuinely scary, including the manse of the White Mage.

First TPK occurred when the heroes were only one quest away from the manse itself, which was tragic. I let em survive anyway so I could continue testing...and lost a perfectly good Barbarian in the final stretch.

So far it looks like the adventure is best suited to a group of heroes who start with two equipment upgrades and maybe a potion or two.

Rewards:
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Legacy of the White Mage [12 quests]

Postby mikemacdee » June 12th, 2013, 2:16 am

Playthrough is done. Everything tweaked and adjusted, and the download is updated. The climax was one hell of a brawl.

Again, anyone who reads/playtests and provides feedback and/or reliable Skaven stats will be super appreciated.

Rewards:
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » June 12th, 2013, 4:36 am

you could check my monster cards for some skaven. I've also made skaven spell cards for a white seer / warlock.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mikemacdee » June 12th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Were Giant Rats part of the original Skaven set? or just added by players later?

Thanks for calling attention to those. Part of the confusion comes from this thread. I don't see the White Seer's magic ability listed on your card, though, so I dunno if it changed with later expansions or what. At first I thought the ability was dumb, but after mulling over it for a bit it's actually kind of devious -- he's essentially stealing spells from the spellcasters, right?

EDIT: By the way I just now looked at this Questbook's page count. Forty-eight pages! That's about twenty more than my usual stuff!

Rewards:
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » June 13th, 2013, 7:02 am

Well, I made my own skaven magic cards for use in the Sewers quests, so the White Seer is much like a chaos warlock, a monster with his own spells. If I wanted to give him the ability to steal a spell, I'd make a skaven magic spell card for that ability. I can always provide that card. I must have missed that ability in the marvel winter special :P
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Templar » August 29th, 2013, 5:11 pm

I have two questions regarding the dice game "Hydra"...

A) May I use it in a quest of my own please? :D
and...
B) It feels like the sigil "Dragon" should yeild a bigger payoff. All the other questing sigils follow the statistics of getting the combination (except knight, which is around half. I guess because you can't bet on other double shields?), yet the dragon is somewhat lower if I've not miscalculated, even considering that other double shields are off the table...It would be interesting to hear your reasoning on this?
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 6th, 2017, 5:43 pm

A working download link can be found at [Quest Pack] [12 Quests] Legacy of the White Mage.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » December 19th, 2020, 9:01 am

The pre-quest notes mention converting some monsters to Skaven models in "Skaven Territory" if you have those models, which I do, and it gives stats for those different types of Skaven. I couldn't find any definition of Skaven territory in the quest. I am assuming from my knowledge of Skaven that the Skaven tearritory is in the sewers under the city?

I really like the storyline to this quest. Normally a quest will just start in the quest location, but I think the start to this is really interesting. Having to access city hall to get the ship charter, and then get into the sewers to infiltrate from below into the Sherriff's HQ to rescue Brother Joseph who knows how to get to the White Mage's Manse. And that is all just to get a ship to get you to the main quest. And the troubles don't stop there!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » December 19th, 2020, 11:01 am

The Admiral wrote:The pre-quest notes mention converting some monsters to Skaven models in "Skaven Territory" if you have those models, which I do, and it gives stats for those different types of Skaven. I couldn't find any definition of Skaven territory in the quest. I am assuming from my knowledge of Skaven that the Skaven tearritory is in the sewers under the city?

I really like the storyline to this quest. Normally a quest will just start in the quest location, but I think the start to this is really interesting. Having to access city hall to get the ship charter, and then get into the sewers to infiltrate from below into the Sherriff's HQ to rescue Brother Joseph who knows how to get to the White Mage's Manse. And that is all just to get a ship to get you to the main quest. And the troubles don't stop there!

Another thread said to switch all greenskins with skaven.

Where did you download this? The link says “Not Found”.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Adventurer's Guild