• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Playing live via Facebook, Zoom, other "video conference"

Search the treads of your local area, introduce yourself and get to know players near you. Use these rooms to discuss and plan your next game night.

Re: Playing live via Facebook, Zoom or other "video conferen

Postby Kurgan » February 14th, 2021, 2:44 am

Played a great game tonight!

I setup a tripod cam for wide view of the whole board, webcam for my face, and document reader for closeups (rooms, dice). Played with family (2 vs 1), who had their own copy of HQ, and we used OBS connected to Zoom (free). Very good.

Basically had to install some plugins (tutorials exist online) but after that I just created some scenes (could cycle between arrangements of multiple windows). Pretty good and even better visibility than last time (had three cheap lamps, put the game board onto a piece of foam core on top of a card table and slipped the document reader underneath). I should take more pics of the setup next time. Not pro but pretty nifty! We played Legacy of the Orc Warlord. A pretty anticlimactic ending (lucky rolls vs the final room bad guys), but fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on February 14th, 2021, 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby j_dean80 » February 14th, 2021, 7:48 am

Do you have the purchased Zoom or the free one that ends after a few hours? Just wondering for everyones sake if the free one can do everything needed for this, or if people would need the purchased version.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 14th, 2021, 12:02 pm

Good point, OBS is totally free, while the free version of Zoom has some limits.

Since there were only 2 computers connected, we could use it free unlimited (game lasted about 3 hours), but the people I connected to DO have the business (paid) edition. It's my understanding you can could up to three computers connected before the limit kicks in.

For rule variants, we used the Evil Wizard Deck, Potions Deck, Equipment Deck, Combat Cards, and searching treasure in corridors. The only thing we goofed up was we forgot to divide up the magic (!) until a few turns in. It was late... :mrgreen:

For reference, they sent me the invite from their paid version, if that matters. I think it would have worked even with the free. On my end I had OBS running three different cameras at once, and I was Zargon.

Edit:
Checked their site (this isn't intended to be an ad) and it looks like free is still pretty decent. More info found. So three computers connected at once would only last 40 minutes on "free." Two computers can go for 24 hours on free.

I guess if you happen to know if someone you are playing with has their household paid through work or school, let them be the "host." ;)

Info on Zoom for UK players...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on February 15th, 2021, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » February 15th, 2021, 5:20 pm

Played again today, with a different person, for 2+ hours with no interruptions (2 computers, both of us using the free version of Zoom). Sadly I didn't take pictures of the setup (again) but here was the last shot (we're going to pick up again later). We played a modified version of EQP 1, the Avenger Returns... (in this version you set off to rescue a wounded elf, who is in a death struggle with an also wounded sasquatch aka mummy mutant). Before picking his way carefully through to the central room, the Elf had wisely searched the sorcerer's table for treasure (and since no spells were used up, he acquired a Spell Scroll for Fire of Wrath). The scroll came in handy later as he used it to incinerate the monster and save his fellow Elf. Mummies in general got some great rolls so the battles lasted long. The Elf found a half filled healing potion for 2 BP and despite this he was still reduced down to 2 BP by the time we called it quits.

These were just shots I took of the board when we were done, not from the webcam (this camera is 16 megapixels, while the various cameras are only 8, which is fine for video).

I am by no means insisting on everyone painting all of their miniatures, but it is easier to distinguish them at a distance when they're not all the same color!

I was Zargon again and the Hero player just used his smart phone and pencil & paper. I rolled for him, etc. I had to use the close up camera a lot more because on a phone the image is so tiny, multiple panels at once isn't quite as helpful.

In Part 2 of the quest I'm giving him the option to continue on with the 2nd elf to try to complete it together, or just do it solo. :elf: :elf: |_P
Last edited by Kurgan on February 15th, 2021, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » February 15th, 2021, 5:32 pm

I now feel confident in any future gaming sessions. The only limitation would be the time limit if none of us have registered. Pity the next plan is so expensive... though that works out to $12.50 a month (slightly cheaper than hbo max), but I play so infrequently, I'm not sure if I am ready to splurge on it unless I get more offers to play (4 games a month?).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » February 16th, 2021, 7:38 pm

There is always the play by post here at the Inn. Haven’t seen anyone use it in a couple years though.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » February 17th, 2021, 11:22 am

Cool idea but too slow for my taste... each to their own of course!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » February 28th, 2021, 4:31 am

Played an awesome game into the wee hours... The Trial "Champion Edition." Yes, this beefed up version of "The Trial" with traps and extra monsters (+2 fimirs, a chaos warrior and goblin, but 1 less orc). Played with three computers (host had paid version of Zoom) with FIVE total heroes.

Bro played on his phone with a new Paladin (gave him some random equipment... a Staff; and Plate Mail which he sold off to buy a crossbow).

On other computer (using OBS, split screen):
Sis played Barbarian and Elf (Water spells).
Bro-in-law played Dwarf and Wizard.
These characters were fully equipped and they work really well together but were the least experienced of our group.
Elf and Barbarian treasure cards were in our deck since each had played some of those quests (technically WOM treasure was also in there, plus the usual EU treasure mixed with NA and a few more from the forums... it's a big deck). Since Bro didn't have his own set out, I drew his treasure and rolled for him, so there was an extra Heroic Brew (I allowed it).

I played Zargon on my OBS split screen with the three cameras.

These two had already completed three other quests. I made a deal that if they won this one, they would be declared Champions (first level of my upgrade system!), but the Paladin, even though this was his first quest, would get it too.

Only allowed combat cards for Zargon (4), Barbarian and Dwarf (2 each). Used Evil Wizard deck too (but not much since there were so many monsters).

Like so many other times I've played the Trial over the years, these heroes avoided Felmarg's tomb (to complete the quest in the central room) -- and so avoided fighting two skeletons and a mummy (I planted a surprise in the tomb but sadly that will have to wait for another quest!), but they did kill the Guardian and the two zombies. As a result they passed up about 260 gold, but...

Basically two other Courage spell scrolls were found as well (my treasure deck has a "random spell scroll" option in there twice). And yes, before the quest Wizard drew two potions and Elf drew 1. Wizard recharged tempest from the Sorcerer's table didn't use it again but the first one was used on one of the first Chaos warriors to prevent the other from attacking in the same doorway.

Dwarf got plate mail and actually dropped it in a room, but later retrieved it for the final battle. Using a spell scroll, the Dwarf dug through the wall into the center room while the Paladin killed the Fimir at the door. Badly wounded, the Paladin retreated and let the Elf and Barbarian take turns attacking the monster at the doorway. The Wizard (who had Earth, Fire and Air) also passed through rock and used Courage on the Dwarf.

The Barbarian blundered into a spear trap but survived. They rarely searched for traps which was fine because I only added two. One Hazard from searching for treasure but otherwise always good stuff (and they searched corridors more than they searched rooms). No wandering monsters as luck would have it.

Elf used Potion of Speed (EQP version) to great effect, and the Barbarian combined Heroic Charge (Combat Card) with Heroic Brew to get a six skull attack against Verag.

Zargon used my custom "Monster Shield!" evil wizard card to force a Chaos Warrior to take the hit intended for him. The Wizard put him to sleep. Verag failed to resist the spell and the next turn (after he failed AGAIN) Wizard nailed him with Genie and got FIVE SKULLS. I used "Back from the Dead" to survive and we decided it countered the sleep spell (the act of dying and because the card reads as if you get to attack). Since the Wizard was across the table he attacked the (armored, 6 defense die) Dwarf and failed to kill him. Several rounds later, Verag was finally dispatched. The chest was searched and we agreed to end the quest there. So technically the Wizard, Dwarf and Elf each took Verag down once (Paladin and Barbarian each killed a lot of monsters too).

Needless to say they survived... the quest took four hours, but it was EPIC. Wish I had taken more pics!

(in the "victory" shot the "tomb" is just for reference, they didn't actually open that door, once they discovered Verag, the formerly split up team gathered together... the Barbarian, Elf and Wizard approached from the west, while the Dwarf came up from the South and the Paladin came from the north (having fallen into a Pit trap but otherwise survived).
Last edited by Kurgan on February 28th, 2021, 4:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » February 28th, 2021, 4:41 am

More pics... :redheart: :redheart: :redheart: :gargoyle:

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » March 1st, 2021, 12:35 am

I was informed that we actually did this on the free version of zoom, so there you go, four hour game, three computers (four of us playing) is possible.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext