• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Austin, TX

Search the treads of your local area, introduce yourself and get to know players near you. Use these rooms to discuss and plan your next game night.

Austin, TX

Postby Jalapenotrellis » November 18th, 2018, 6:22 pm

I had been playing the original HeroQuest up through Quest 7 with a couple recently but found they wanted to start doing different things with our time together, unfortunately. What tips do you have for keeping a group together through all the expansions? I recently invested in getting the rest of the expansions thinking it would provide continuation once we were done with the original game system, but then my group fell apart. I'm not sure if I should start over or have the next group pick up where they left off.
I was thinking of starting from scratch in January with a group here in Austin and have interest in about two or three of my gaming buddies.

As always, I imagine problem such as life getting in the way as an adult make it hard to keep a campaign going.

And so this post is about
1) does anybody in Austin want to play? I was thinking of playing as Zargon and starting a new campaign unless somebody else would like to, in which case I would want to play the wizard or elf.
2) what strategies do you have for keeping a group together? After having my first long-term group Fall apart after 7 quests due to factors out of my control, I am imagining that the expansions aren't as popular for that one reason, it is tough to keep the group together.

Thanks everyone!
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Austin, TX

Postby Jalapenotrellis » August 10th, 2021, 12:26 am

So here I am years later. My new group (from the last post) has stuck together for the past years, making it from the original through the first two expansions. We are looking for at least 1 consistent person to fill in. We're on Quest 2 of Against the Ogre Horde now, and I have the rest of the expansions. If you like to see how I run rules, I've posted a lot on these forums and try to run it as close to the book as possible (except I add some body points to the boss monsters so they don't get 1 shot sometimes...unless they blow all their resources). The group has been 95% attendance, with some swap in and out, but there has been continuity for the most part. We set a time that works for everyone whether it is biweekly or once in the next month, and other times it is weekly when everyone is here. We either play on Sunday afternoon or Wednesdays. If we have a quorum of at least 2 players (plus me as Zargon/Morcar), we play and set the date and time. If you're technical or geeky, I'm sure you'll fit in easily. If you're not, I'm sure you will pick it up soon. I'll probably interview via Google Meet to see if a good fit. We pretty much come in and play the game and leave--it's not a place to bring food and beer, and no smoking. We're all in our late 20s, 30s, or early 40s.
After I finish HeroQuest, I'll probably start DMing for a 5e D&D campaign from a book, either Curse of Strahd, Dragon Heist, and then Mad Mage, but that may be further off.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Return to Games In Your Area!