• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest World

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Is the World of Heroquest the World of Warhammer?

Yes, they are one and the same.
18%
Yes, they are essentially the same, but we musn't feel obliged to adopt everything from WH to HQ.
30%
Depends, they once have been the same, but since the world of Warhammer has been developed further into a different direction since the days of Heroquest, they are by now two different worlds.
23%
No, the guys from Greed Workshop wanted it to be, but this was not the intention of MB, who own the game.
1%
No, they are two different worlds, and that's that. Any similarities are due to the fact that the same people created the backgrounds and re-used some ideas.
24%
I use a home-made world background anyways.
4%
None of the above.
No votes

Total votes : 71

Re: World of Heroquest = World of Warhammer?

Postby The Road Warrior » January 9th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Firstly I would like to say I know next to nothing about Warhammer so probably shouldn't be commenting on this.

Having said that I think drathe's comment is probably the most accurate and have voted 'No, they are two different worlds, and that's that. Any similarities are due to the fact that the same people created the backgrounds and re-used some ideas.' to reflect that opinion.

drathe wrote:It's my belief that Games Workshop chose to use the Warhammer background as it was already developed. HeroQuest would be a great way to draw new players into their world (and other games) as it would already be familiar to them.

However, would it be possible to consider them the same world but at a different time? e.g. HQ = WH + 100 years.
This could explain why Mentor/Loretome are not mentioned in Warhammer and why some of the places in HQ don't appear on the WH map (I think this is mentioned in another topic on this subject)
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Fullork345 » January 9th, 2013, 6:02 pm

It could be, but the issue is they have in their background knowledge of great chaos incursions, yet the events of heroquest aren't even a footnote. But it is possible. Advanced heroquest alludes to being 500 years after heroquest.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 10th, 2013, 4:36 am

The Road Warrior wrote:However, would it be possible to consider them the same world but at a different time? e.g. HQ = WH + 100 years.
This could explain why Mentor/Loretome are not mentioned in Warhammer and why some of the places in HQ don't appear on the WH map (I think this is mentioned in another topic on this subject)

It's the right direction methinks, but rather than seeing both complexes on one world in two eras
I'd look at it as two parallel realities of one world in two "dimensions".

You know, alternate realities of one world split at a specific moment of time, which has to be declared (or not), of course.
That's why there are topographic and some minor historic consistencies between Warhammer and HeroQuest.

BUT... I play in my own world, anyway.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 10th, 2013, 9:23 am

Last edited by Goblin-King on November 15th, 2013, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » January 10th, 2013, 9:37 am

Well, now we have adiscussion going on! |_P
Goblin King wrote:Is the HQ storyline just so minor in the WH lore?
Short answer... YES!
full Orc wrote: I don't know if I buy that the heroquest events are minor, the emperor being trapped in a seiege for instance is a big deal. At least it would be in the warhammer background.
The threat of Morcar is definitely not a minor event in the world of warhammer, and it is mentioned. In WH sources Morcar was the first everchosen of chaos, leading the first storm of chaos, but this was before the founding of the empire. This is why I wrote elsewhere "there is no Mentor in Warhammer, and Morcar and his armies don't fit in the timeline".
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 10th, 2013, 10:10 am

Source on mentioning of Morcar?
This is relevant to my interests!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » January 10th, 2013, 10:36 am

Warhammer Armies: Warriors of Chaos (7th Edition) p34-35
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » January 10th, 2013, 11:20 am

That's a pretty heavy argument for it being the one and same world in my opinion.

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Fullork345 » January 10th, 2013, 11:42 am

Wasn't it Morkar?

Though I guess the spelling doesn't matter much.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 10th, 2013, 12:45 pm

nope it's Morcar :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion