• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero Collection II: Rogue Heir of Elethorn (Oct-Dec '22)

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

What do you think of this announcement?

Here we go again
20%
I don't care
8%
Can't wait to pre-order
35%
Can't be real... no it can't be!
No votes
Maybe it will be good
15%
I'll wait for more info...
23%

Total votes : 40

Hero Collection II: Rogue Heir of Elethorn (Oct-Dec '22)

Postby Kurgan » June 8th, 2022, 3:47 pm

Still in shock I was the first one on the forum to post about this, but I can't take credit for the scoop... :D

As reported in discord by domymontalto and also thanks Elvyler... apparently there's a leak, rumor, etc. of a new remake style "Hero Collection." Here's hoping it's not another limited run exclusive debacle like the Guardian Knights, but we'll see. Could be some errors, not sure. [Edit: Thankfully this is a full retail product, available to this day at MSRP! 12/14/22]

https://www.meeplemart.com/hero-quest-kellars-keep-expansion-clone.aspx

It's not April 1st, so... (prices seem off, I mean I know there's inflation, but still).

Also, I'm not inclined to do another pre-order of a limited run product, but that's me. Probably just homebrew it in that case.

Once again looks like a character in two sexes, three skill cards and two equipments in a fancy box. I don't have a problem with the concept but I hate the idea of another limited run exclusive that will encourage scalping and FOMO...

Supposedly the Frozen Horror will be officially shown off at Gen con* this August, maybe this will tide people over or maybe it will be a case where people won't get theirs until after? Again others do what you want but I am thinking unless it's a retail release, I won't be getting bent out of shape over this one and won't be pre-ordering...

Other thoughts?

Edit: Updated with the higher res image of the cards. Thanks elvyer!

Our very own Amalgamash reports that he scored an impromptu interview with a higher up at Avalon Hill who had some encouraging things to say about this new release including (spoilers) that they will have a much greater stock this time, MSRP will be similar, and scalpers will NOT be happy about it. Kudos there AA!

Sadly currently posted photos aren't clear enough to read the actual text (like the character stats or how the "bandolier" actually works). If anyone gets better ones please post them and I'll happily update! :roll6: :roll6:

* and I was just recently informed this stands for "Geneva Convention" a reference to meetings regulating the conduct of war (appropriate for war-gaming rules) and that the original was hosted near Lake Geneva organized by the late Gary Gygax of D&D fame.

Edit: HasbroPulse itself lists December 1st, 2022 as the official release date. Pre-Orders have been popping up on reputable or mainstream game stores. A new Polygon article lists October, but December seems to be the new official date.

Edit #2: As of Sept 30th, a couple of Australian fans have reported on Facebook that they received the product early and others have posted shipping dates of Oct 7th and even some "store pick-up" situations. Some from US sellers have reported early ship dates as well, indicating this may be a similar situation to the Frozen Horror Remake, where the official release date remains Dec 1st, but you may (or may not) get it early in your particular region based on supply at the various stores.

Pictures are now available of all of the cards. Thanks to the alert reporters who shared these, especially the original posters as well as HispaZargon and domymontalto! |_P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Daedalus on March 2nd, 2023, 8:10 am, edited 22 times in total.
Reason: moved from the General HeroQuest Discussion room

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: New Hero Collection: Rogue Heir of Elethorn (?)

Postby Kurgan » June 8th, 2022, 4:06 pm

Throwing daggers are pretty weak, until we get a close up of those cards I'm not sure what I think of the character. I'm not particularly interested in Rogues in general but they're a popular mainstay of the fantasy genre, so probably will have some appeal. The digital rendered Designs look okay.

Another page here:

https://universaldist.com/item/detail/c51521da-101a-4628-89c7-6490790ddcd3

HERO QUEST THE ROGUE HEIR OF ELETHORN (24)

Release Date: 2022-11-14
Item Code: F5814UU0
Sku: 5010994168070

Number of Players: 2-5
Playing Time: 120 Minutes
Recommended Ages: 14+

A nimble skirmisher who is deadly with small blades, but you lack the ability to use metal armor and shields. Equipped with your trusty bandolier, you are always prepared for danger.

Important feature to highlight, the Rogue can perform range attacks, which makes it a desired character to add to the collection. Must have HeroQuest game.

Contents:
2 Miniatures & 12 Cards (2 Hero Cards, 6 skills, 2 Daggers & 2 Bandolier.)

I presume the bandolier equipment is a quiver for throwing daggers, wonder how many are in there or how it works? Can other heroes acquire it if he dies? Does it have a sell-back value for the "Armory"?

Seems real enough

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » June 8th, 2022, 4:17 pm

Thanks, Kurgan... just now seeing it posted on Facebook.

Well, new heroes with new own skills and a new weapon. Interesting of course, but lets see how their rules fit with the rest. (Guardian Knights were slightly empowered in my opinion).

Anyway good news seeing Hasbro continues the release of new material if they are well designed.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » June 8th, 2022, 4:19 pm

As with the previous Hero Collection (and the Mythic exclusive heroes as well) I presume there's just going to be a little story blurb but no real involvement in the actual published quests... the players will be left to use (or not use) the character as they see fit.

Nothing about playing with more than four heroes at a time, but I could see someone using them as mercenaries (or in place of them, in the BQP you could theoretically have 24 BP worth of Mercs joint the party, equivalent to a few more heroes!). Of course more heroes means a longer game time and potentially it could become too easy (probably not with something as difficult as the Frozen Horror or Mage of the Mirror of course...).

Daggers are pretty weak... 1 BP attack and the enemy has a chance to defend even if they are ranged. Would be interesting as a starting weapon. If his armor is limited, that makes him a weaker fighter of course, but it depends on the rest of the factors and his skill cards and stats of course. If they are like magical throwing daggers and the "bandolier" is bottomless (unlimited ammo) the character could actually be pretty overpowered, but more details will surely be forthcoming soon.

No hero stands alone of course, so I don't expect every hero to be a combat monster like the Barbarian.
Last edited by Kurgan on June 8th, 2022, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby elvyler » June 8th, 2022, 4:25 pm

If the daggers are their only weapon, then those skills better be really good. Like "throw multiple daggers at an enemy and then recover them after". From the description, they seem a bit underpowered, but we won't know until we see the cards.
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Kurgan » June 8th, 2022, 4:37 pm

Yeah, a hero typically can still acquire new gear (the Wizard being the original exception to that) and upgrade as time goes on that way. The Knight for example got a bonus on Plate Armor, but otherwise could buy new stuff, though most of his skills required the use of a Shield (which he started with).

There's no such thing as limited equipment carrying capacity in the HeroQuest board game, so if his "power" with daggers comes from the bandolier, fine, but I wonder what happens if another hero gets their hands on it. Still, even if others can use it, starting with hit would be a bonus for him.

I thought maybe he just started with a bunch of daggers, that would be fine too (bandolier just being a container for them).

The skill cards are probably the tricks with those daggers (limited use like the skill cards from the Knight, essentially spells by another name) and probably require him to have the bandolier. If so, then maybe the bandolier would be useless in the hands of any other hero (just a set number of daggers that function like normal).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » June 8th, 2022, 4:47 pm

For those already planning to play-test/homebrew this one... check out many analogs here on Reaper Bones

The cards are too fuzzy to read, but it looks like a "1" for attack, that's all I can make out.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby elvyler » June 8th, 2022, 4:58 pm

Kurgan wrote:The cards are too fuzzy to read, but it looks like a "1" for attack, that's all I can make out.

I think this image is a bit bigger than the one that was posted on the discord:
https://universaldist.com/api/v1/images/bf2649a2-8276-4667-a4f5-396dbd3c01fa/raw?size=l
Looks like it might be 1, 3, 5, 4
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Kurgan » June 8th, 2022, 5:28 pm

I agree, thanks for posting! Official Communique... I guess the letter is from the Elven people/kingdom/realm? So a little bit more lore expected there. Of course if it's a limited release most players won't be privy to it...

More speculation about "Metal armor"...

Bracers in the remake are made of hardened leather. The Wizard's Cloak is an artifact that isn't metal. If the "3" is correct for defense I wonder if this character starts with the (expensive) bracers. Otherwise where is the extra defend die from? Maybe a specialized piece of armor? (leather armor? wooden armor? a breast plate of unobtanium?).

Helmets ...?

Shields can't be used by this character.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Nlinindoll » June 8th, 2022, 5:38 pm

Kurgan wrote:More speculation about "Metal armor"...

Bracers in the remake are made of hardened leather. The Wizard's Cloak is an artifact that isn't metal. If the "3" is correct for defense I wonder if this character starts with the (expensive) bracers. Otherwise where is the extra defend die from? Maybe a specialized piece of armor? (leather armor? wooden armor? a breast plate of unobtanium?).

Helmets ...?

Shields can't be used by this character.

Well, the Helmet card does list is as “Armor” on the card itself and Zargon has confirmed/pointed out they are metal and susceptible to Rust: https://twitter.com/heroquest/status/15 ... 80Gf7FgcbA

So I would assume this Elven rogue can’t use helmets either.
Nlinindoll

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Next

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items