• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

ONLINE QUEST 0 New Beginnings

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

ONLINE QUEST 0 New Beginnings

Postby HispaZargon » April 8th, 2022, 4:46 pm

Comments about this new and free official quest?
Last edited by Daedalus on June 14th, 2022, 10:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: renamed title to match release

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: THE BEGINNINGS discussion

Postby Xoxxala » April 8th, 2022, 5:07 pm

Link to the quest:

https://hasbropulse.com/blogs/avalon-hi ... -beginning

* Wish it was a PDF instead of a bitmap image. (Also, why are the downloadable images hosted on shopify? Odd that.)
* Why aren't these online quests posted to: https://heroquest.avalonhill.com/en-us ?
* I like that it includes official rules for selling excess items.

Haven't played it yet, but will do so soon. Looks fun.
Xoxxala

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby KentKaliber » April 8th, 2022, 5:10 pm

I like that it expands / clarifies certain HQ Rules.

Also, this Quest is MUCH MUCH EASIER than Rogar's Hall --- which seems far too brutal to be the First Quest for new heroes.
KentKaliber

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » April 8th, 2022, 7:22 pm

Yeah Rogar's Hall is NOT a good first quest, the whole point is to "teach you about failure" by almost ensuring your destruction which few young or new players will have the patience to continue with. Thankfully Stephen Baker gave us much more high quality quests in "Prophecy of Telor" but the general public as access to Rogar's Hall, not the latter... so they may have the wrong impression about his abilities which is too bad. He was getting in some practice writing quests again after three decades, and he wanted to (or was tasked with) including the "Mentor" bonus figure into a quest so that's why we got it, and as something to whet our appetites while we waited for the pledge drive to end.

So this new quest gives us a monster body point (not counting wandering monsters which are only goblins) of 24 BP (the Gargoyle is weakened, I missed that at first glance and defends with only 2) vs. 37 (?) that NA edition of The Trial had, plus enough gold to buy a staff for the Wizard at the end (not counting Treasure cards) and increase his max BP to 5 with the Ring of Fortitude (spoilers!) and give him bracers so he can defend with 3. And it's fully compatible with the classic Game System as long as you just write down that the ring increases your max BP by 1 as long as it is worn on your character sheet. The Shield of course is helpful for any other hero to use. As kids we reasoned that the best defense is a strong offense, but in my later years I've found that buying armor first is often a wise decision.

I see this one introduces every kind of trap (only the Dwarf will be able to disarm anything because no opportunity to buy a toolkit), but all of them are pretty easy to avoid only the furniture trap might fool the heroes.

Play The Trial next. Odd that this one has secret doors and traps AND dread (chaos) magic boss fight for the first quest (4 BP and 3 Ball of Flame spells, wow, but only 3 defense and 1 attack). I haven't played it yet. Still, a free quest is a free quest... !

Here's a quick PDF I whipped up if people prefer that...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on April 8th, 2022, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » April 8th, 2022, 7:37 pm

"A New Beginning" quest 0, online quest, whatever you want to call it... additional thoughts:

Lots of health given away in this one, which is good for a first quest (if they don't use it all up they can carry it on to the next quest of course). So 2 out of the four heroes will enter The Trial with 3 defend dice.

The rule clarifications are welcome, we all knew they were "canon" since they were revealed back in 1992 in the EQP/BQP but I see here they don't say you can only pass an item to another hero on your turn (though I believe the rule book in 2021 still said that, and strongly implies only one potion per turn can be passed).

Doug Hopkins is also the author of "The Forsaken Halls of Xor Xel" which was meant as a bridge between the GS and KK although features undead figures that sort of assumes you probably own ROTWL.

Presumably this free quest will shortly be added to the Companion App as well, if it hasn't already.

Posted up a video on HeroQuestFans on twitch, and it goes up on youtube now with my thoughts (see here ).
Last edited by Kurgan on April 8th, 2022, 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby KentKaliber » April 8th, 2022, 8:07 pm

For the new QUEST ORDER, is it safe to assume we are supposed to play:

***The Beginning
***Rogar's Hall
***Then the HeroQuest Base Set Book
KentKaliber

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:

Postby JackieX » April 11th, 2022, 2:59 am

Kurgan wrote:Presumably this free quest will shortly be added to the Companion App as well, if it hasn't already.

What makes you think that? "Rogar's Hall" and "The Forsaken Halls of Xor Xel" were not added either.
JackieX

Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Kurgan » April 11th, 2022, 3:09 am

Oh, I thought they had been... guess I heard wrong.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby JackieX » April 11th, 2022, 5:47 am

Unfortunately not! Would like a make your own maps function for the App!
JackieX

Skeleton
Skeleton

Postby Nlinindoll » April 11th, 2022, 11:52 am

JackieX wrote:
Kurgan wrote:Presumably this free quest will shortly be added to the Companion App as well, if it hasn't already.

What makes you think that? "Rogar's Hall" and "The Forsaken Halls of Xor Xel" were not added either.

On Twitter, Zargon has suggested that adding the online quests into the app is in progress. See fan question and Zargon’s reply here: https://twitter.com/pabloatko/status/15 ... UBenO4wCNQ
Nlinindoll

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion