• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

Postby HispaZargon » May 10th, 2023, 8:10 pm

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:
HispaZargon wrote:If your interpretation was correct, doesn't matter if a hero uses a Battle Axe to attack a monster, he could defend with the Shield if he owns it because the monster attack happens during the Monster turn and the hero could have had enough time to change which equipment has in hands before being attacked, however of course the Battle Axe rules says that he cannot. In other words, when the hero wielding a Battle Axe can use a Shield? Always could do it based in your approach, but we know they cannot. Of course this is going an extra mile further, but ...

Not correct, because switching weapons can only happen when you don't have a monster next to you and if you are attacking a monster with the battle axe then he must be adjacent to you.

I think that's going a bit far from the rules, nowhere is told in the rules how the heroes switches their weapons, that's the point... Imagine the hero with battle axe does not attack on his turn, but a monster moves during its turn and attacks the hero. You mean then the hero could use the Shield for defending because he did not used the Battle Axe on his turn? I see quite complicated to manage the card rules if that's the case.

Bareheaded Warrior wrote:I wasn't suggesting any confusion between adjacent and diagonal (a diagram was provided to make it 100% clear that they were referring to adjacent and NOT diagonals), I was suggesting that rulebooks often use an approach that I refer to as "layering" where they present the basic "true, most of the time" version of the rules first and then later introduce exceptions and complications as an extra layer on top of the basics.

For example

SE Rules of Play wrote:To attack a monster or a character, you must be in one of the four squares: to the side, front or rear. You cannot attack diagonally...
However you may not use the crossbow or throw a weapon if you are adjacent to your opponent...
Characters may not search if they are adjacent to a monster...

All of which is correct and consistent in the context of the basic rules

However once you add another layer on top of this with

SE Equipment Card: Spear wrote:The Spear may be used to attack diagonally.

Then you have expanded 'attacking' to potentially include both diagonals and adjacent squares so you need to reconsider the 'basic' rules from above in light of this and expand them to match therefore you CAN now attack diagonally, you CANNOT use the crossbow or throw a weapon if you are adjacent or diagonal to an opponent and you CANNOT search if you are adjacent or diagonally to a monster.

For ease of wording I use the phrase "next to" to mean adjacent and/or diagonal

Yeah, the "layering method" in the rules definition is clear in all HQ editions, but those paragraphs are rules from EU editions, not the one which errata are documented on this thread, so could lead us to confusion. For example, the weapons throwing rule in NA rules says they can be thrown to any target the hero can "see", NA rules does not say anything for those kind of weapons about "adjacent" squares, as far as I know that's only mentioned in the Crossbow Armory rules (or Equipment card in the remake).

I am not saying your interpretations are bad, just noticing that I think they are supported by rules from other editions, which I think we should not do if we try to fill the gaps found in the remake's rules.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » May 13th, 2023, 2:56 am

You are quite right, I got carried away with the discussion but this isn't the right topic, I've found one and will post there instead Carrying and changing equipment during a quest
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby LucaRocks » May 18th, 2023, 7:15 am

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but aren't the falling block traps in Quest 13 errata? Its pretty ambiguous on how to play them (i.e. can you search and disarm, is every hero who walks by affected by them? Etc...)

Not sure if they were ever explained properly by any official channels. Sorry if they were and I missed something on this thread.
LucaRocks

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby Kurgan » May 18th, 2023, 12:37 pm

LucaRocks wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but aren't the falling block traps in Quest 13 errata? Its pretty ambiguous on how to play them (i.e. can you search and disarm, is every hero who walks by affected by them? Etc...)

Not sure if they were ever explained properly by any official channels. Sorry if they were and I missed something on this thread.

I'm not sure there's any "errata" for the Falling Block traps in Quest 13 of the NA Game System. The quest notes clearly explain they are different and don't block the squares and you don't put tiles down.

Quest notes that modify the usual rule mechanics for that quest only, are not errors.

In this Quest, the rules for falling block squares are different. Any player who moves onto one of these squares must roll a Red die. If he rolls a 4, 5, or 6, he will lose 1 Body Point.If the player is equipped with a helmet, he will only lose a Body Point on a roll of a 6. Monsters are not affected by these squares. Do not place the falling block tiles onto the gameboard. Heroes are not blocked by these squares in this Quest.

No significant changes to the text in the remake edition.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby LucaRocks » May 19th, 2023, 10:24 am

Yeah you're right. I guess my hang up was that it felt like a wasted opportunity. Like it should have been more than what it actually is. Make them un-discoverable, not disarmable... Something to increase the difficulty.

And yes, I know, homebrew is always the answer lol. But I try to do as least homebrewing as possible
LucaRocks

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » May 21st, 2023, 9:13 pm

I like to do tons of homebrew, BUT I also understand the desire to have as few errors as possible... because of the joy in simplicity. You don't have to sit down and do a bunch of "homework" before the quest begins, you can just lift it out of the box, put it on the table and BEGIN, even if you're 10 years old.... well virtually no preparation anyway.

The "hard work" of playing a tabletop fantasy game stops a lot of people from ever getting started and this game was made with the idea of making it very simple and easy to get people into that world and mindset. I get that, and that's important to HeroQuest's legacy.

People should feel free to homebrew, but not because the work done by the "professional" designers is broken and frustratingly bad and needs to be fixed (though one can see how that can inspire people too... assuming they already love the game enough and aren't going to just give up and go play something else!).

At the very least you're going to make new adventures when the old official ones run out... (they did for us back in the day!). Or the party died, and you are remixing the quest, so you've already taken your first step into the "homebrew" mindset. :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » July 14th, 2023, 12:35 pm

Kurgan wrote:
LucaRocks wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but aren't the falling block traps in Quest 13 errata? Its pretty ambiguous on how to play them (i.e. can you search and disarm, is every hero who walks by affected by them? Etc...)

I'm not sure there's any "errata" for the Falling Block traps in Quest 13 of the NA Game System. The quest notes clearly explain they are different and don't block the squares and you don't put tiles down.

Quest notes that modify the usual rule mechanics for that quest only, are not errors.

In this Quest, the rules for falling block squares are different. Any player who moves onto one of these squares must roll a Red die. If he rolls a 4, 5, or 6, he will lose 1 Body Point. If the player is equipped with a helmet, he will only lose a Body Point on a roll of a 6. Monsters are not affected by these squares. Do not place the falling block tiles onto the gameboard. Heroes are not blocked by these squares in this Quest.

No significant changes to the text in the remake edition.

I sort of agree with LucaRocks, these are ambiguous in how they work in my opinion. This could be considered an errata, although it is true for all editions of HQ not just the HQ2021 Remake editions. Let me explain why

Rules for a falling block trap in NA

1. Can be found by searching and the square will be indicated
2. That indicated square can be avoided, jumped or disarmed
3. If not found, or jump or disarm fails then trap is activated
4. Falling block tile placed, Square is then blocked
5. Victim rolls 3 combat dice, losing a BP for each skull, no defend

If you take these general rules and apply the instructions from the Quest Notes that Kurgan has provided then, you end up with...

1. Can be found by searching and the square will be indicated by EWP
2. That indicated square can be avoided, jumped or disarmed
3. If square is stepped on without being found, or jump or disarm fails then trap is activated
4. Falling Block tile placed, blocking the square Falling block is not placed, square is not blocked
5. Victim rolls 3 combat dice, losing a BP for each skull, no defend Roll red die 4+ (or 5+ if hero has helmet) lose a BP

Alternatively

You could notice that although the falling block icon is used to represent these on the quest map, there is no mention of the word "trap" in the description of how to handle these, so you could consider these to just be a special dungeon event, hazard or feature and execute exactly as described in the Quest Notes without assuming that they are a trap.

1. Activated when a hero steps on the marked square
2. Roll red die 4+ (or 5+ if hero has helmet) lose a BP

These two options are both I think valid interpretations, is it a falling block trap, so usual rules apply except where overridden by the quest notes OR it isn't a trap, handle it exactly as described in the quest notes.

For me personally I use the second option, as compared to the original falling block trap, these new hazards are low damage (1CD equivalent, rather than 3CD original), high frequency (6) which suggests to me a "lite" approach that skips the whole search, find, indicate, jump/disarm shenanigans.
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Nlinindoll » July 16th, 2023, 4:21 pm

Surprised we haven’t added this to the list yet. Kellar’s Keep questbook page 12 (quest 3) appears to call for FOUR double block tiles. If you only own the GS and KK you only have two double block tiles. Of course you can use two 1x1 block tiles next to one another, but the questbook should reflect this.
Nlinindoll

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » July 16th, 2023, 7:46 pm

Not an errata so much as interesting changes in the newest expansion pack:

Rise of the Dread Moon includes a Helmet Equipment card that adds the word "metal" that wasn't in the original text of the card in 2021 (thanks HispaZargon).
Presumably this was done to clear up confusion regarding the ambiguous "metal armor" term added to several new heroes, most importantly the Rogue who is released into retail and associated storywise with Elethorn (the setting of this and Mage of the Mirror). You may have imagined he could freely use the helmet before but maybe not now.

It also has a version of the Hand Axe that now mentions (as they were saying on social media when asked) that it is not usable by the Wizard.

The included Spell Scrolls (Swift Wind and Pass Through Rock) don't say "scroll crumbles to dust after it is used" on the card nor in the quest note when it is discovered, but elsewhere in the Questbook it does say Spell Scrolls can only be used once, I believe (missed that the first time, someone can check me on that, Virg?).

You could consider them variations but they renamed the Potion of Speed from the Mage of the Mirror (which is different than the Game System armory Equipment card) in the Alchemist Deck to "Potion of Celerity." Not an errata but they changed names before to help differentiate two objects in different packs with the same name before (Potion of Restoration/Superior Restoration).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » July 22nd, 2023, 2:02 am

In Amalgamash's Unboxing video's comments section, bhollisb7899 points out that the Alchemy card artwork is wrong in one place...

The image on the "Potion of Superior Restoration" matches that of "Potion of Recall." Comparing these potions to the Equipment cards included in Mage of the Mirror remake shows that the Potion of Superior Restoration is actually different (and was not properly duplicated on the Rise of the Dread Moon Alchemy card).

That one passed me right by!

Regarding the Rise of the Dread Moon Spell Scrolls, it DOES say earlier in the quest book that Spell Scrolls can be used once (not "once per quest" or anything like that) so despite the text lacking from the cards is explained.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext