• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

Postby Hogg » July 7th, 2022, 9:59 pm

In the new Into the Northlands quest they didn't use an orange highlight for the falling rock trap in the room directly below the room with the note "D."
Hogg

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » July 7th, 2022, 10:57 pm

Hogg wrote:In the new Into the Northlands quest they didn't use an orange highlight for the falling rock trap in the room directly below the room with the note "D."

Good catch! First errata of the errata!

Classic Errata for 2022:

For the Frozen Horror itself, confirmed, that the L shaped arrangement of spear traps around the treasure chest in the upper right corner of the board in Quest 2: Trial By Ice (Letter D) is copied verbatim from the 1992 edition. This is not how traps work. The chest itself should be colored orange, labeled with a spear trap that does 1-2 BP damage if not disarmed before searching and the orange spear trap squares in this room removed. Searching for treasure would reveal and gain the contents of the Chest without triggering any of the traps, and no mechanic exists in the NA rules requiring the Hero to "walk up" adjacent to the Chest to either search it or gain its contents. Thus the traps don't pose any real threat to the heroes, thwarting their obvious intention.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 10th, 2022, 2:52 am

Another 1992 Errata for the Frozen Horror (Barbarian Quest Pack)...

Quest 4: The Glacial Gate:

This quest calls for 23 open (!) doors, plus the iron entrance door AND the wooden exit door. The game system only includes 21 doors (16 of them open, 5 closed). So you will run out of open doors playing this one. It will be slightly less if you own the remake, because you can specifically not count the entrance/exit doors (they are their own plastic piece instead of re-using the plastic base), but you will still run out of opens and have to re-use them to finish out the quest.

Yes, it's true that you can just pull the "closed door" tile out of the door base to make it appear "open." You can't do this with the Remake edition since the closed doors are integrated, so you can mime them opening to the side I guess (and remove the doors from the start of the quest to use them at the end) or substitute a secret door tile if you want.

Quest 5: The Deadly Depths: Calls for 22 open doors (plus the entrance and exit doors). To be fair, two of the doors vanish in the course of the adventure, leaving 20 open doors (4 more than were included with the base game), assuming the whole board is explored.

Quest 6: The Frosted Path
Calls for 18 open doors (not counting the entrance and exit doors).

Quest 7: The Halls of Kelvinos
Calls for 22 open doors (not counting the entrance and exit doors).

Quest 8: The Search for the Scepter
Calls for 18 open doors (not counting entrance and exit doors).

Quest 9: The Heart of Ice part 1
Calls for 19 open doors (not counting entrance and exit doors).

Online Quest 01: The Forsaken Tunnels of Xor Xel uses exit and entrance doors (their use vs. the spiral staircase is explained in the KK and ROTWL quest books), which you could use standard closed doors to replicate, otherwise this probably assumes you own Return of the Witch Lord even though it is supposed to be a prelude to Kellar's Keep. You'll only run out of skeletons potentially if the heroes move about without clearing each room of monsters first. Potentially you could run out of zombies (50% chance) if Summon Undead is used by the boss before his zombie bodyguards are destroyed. The odds of multiple heroes each being in different rooms and searching for treasure and getting wandering monsters (pair of skeletons) before the other skeletons in the other rooms are defeated, are remote.
Last edited by Kurgan on August 13th, 2022, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » July 13th, 2022, 5:41 pm

Good news, as Kurgan pointed here, Hasbro has released an updated version of the quest. They have corrected the found misprints:

Kurgan wrote:Thank you Avalon Hill! Seems they fixed up the things we were asking about... the file is updated.

Into the Northlands ... Minor Spoilers:

Falling Block square is marked in trap orange/gold.

The Mummy at letter B is indeed intended to be a wolf mummy (same stats as a normal mummy monster) related in the flavor text not a separate creature.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » July 19th, 2022, 6:00 pm

HispaZargon wrote:
Farwatcher wrote:I may have missed if this has already been mentioned, but I found another missing door in Return of the Witch Lord. Page 24, The Last Gate, the original printing has a door from the first corridor into the room with the 5 skeletons (2 spaces below the iron entrance door), which isn't on the remake map. Without that door, reaching the Witch Queen's chambers are only accessible through the secret door meant for her escape route!

Thank you so much, Farwatcher. You are right, it is a clear misprint not reported yet.

The missing door Farwatcher is talking about in ROTWL Quest #9 is this one:

ROTWL_Quest_9_Missing_Door.JPG

I have updated the errata summary here with the last mistakes reported.

So I see there are now multiple copies (in two different file sizes) of ROTWL remake quest book on the Hasbro Customer Care page. Both F4193 and F3649 include the correction! |_P

Thanks AH! I wonder if this correction made it into the Retail version of the Game System released last December?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » July 19th, 2022, 6:32 pm

HispaZargon wrote:Here is the updated full list of errata detected by Inn's members, short by released items in order to improve their traceability:

GAME SYSTEM box content:

Game System questbook:
- Page 33: Gargoyle monster symbol is missing.

This is not an error, as the 1990 NA quest book featured no Gargoyle icon either (by this I mean at the end next to the blank quest map). For reference, the EU quest book didn't use monster symbols on the section with the blank quest at the end (while the Adventure Design Kit did include many black and white icons including several Gargoyle images).
Last edited by Kurgan on July 19th, 2022, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » July 19th, 2022, 7:40 pm

Kurgan wrote:
HispaZargon wrote:
Farwatcher wrote:I may have missed if this has already been mentioned, but I found another missing door in Return of the Witch Lord. Page 24, The Last Gate, the original printing has a door from the first corridor into the room with the 5 skeletons (2 spaces below the iron entrance door), which isn't on the remake map. Without that door, reaching the Witch Queen's chambers are only accessible through the secret door meant for her escape route!

Thank you so much, Farwatcher. You are right, it is a clear misprint not reported yet.

The missing door Farwatcher is talking about in ROTWL Quest #9 is this one:

ROTWL_Quest_9_Missing_Door.JPG

I have updated the errata summary here with the last mistakes reported.

So I see there are now multiple copies (in two different file sizes) of ROTWL remake quest book on the Hasbro Customer Care page. Both F4193 and F3649 include the correction! |_P

Thanks AH! I wonder if this correction made it into the Retail version of the Game System released last December?

Good catch. AH has also added the missing room in page 26 in those new PDF files.

Another aesthetical misprint found is the front cover art in ROTWL questbook. They included a so poorly edited version of the box art. They moved the Barbarian position to the right and they made some other changes, but they leave some editing mistakes like the double image of WL's staff for example. The picture was not enough cleaned before its printing.

A similar aesthetical mistake can be observed in the front cover art of KK questbook. They moved up the Dwarf and the right hand Goblin but AH unfortunately kept part of the Goblin head at its original position, now at the right of the Dwarf's axe blade.

Kurgan wrote:
HispaZargon wrote:Here is the updated full list of errata detected by Inn's members, short by released items in order to improve their traceability:

GAME SYSTEM box content:

Game System questbook:
- Page 33: Gargoyle monster symbol is missing.

This is not an error, as the 1990 NA quest book featured no Gargoyle icon either. For reference, the EU quest book didn't use monster symbols on the section with the blank quest at the end (while the Adventure Design Kit did include many black and white icons including several Gargoyle images).

Well, I disagree. In both original and remake questbooks I guess the intention of such page was showing all available monsters and furniture icons to be used as reference in custom quests design so I think gargoyle icon should be also there but it is not. Remember this thread tries to list all 2021's remake errata and misprints, also including those ones inherited from the US original questpack.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » July 19th, 2022, 9:00 pm

I have updated the errata summary here with the last mistakes reported or found.

Last update of the list was performed in March.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » July 29th, 2022, 10:09 pm

Kurgan wrote:Prophecy of Telor for example lists six spell scrolls that I don't see as findable in the pack. Perhaps it was planned to have a random scroll draw but I don't see one mentioned in the quest notes. It has three more artifacts that are findable but not located on the reference page.

This is seems to be the most broken of the reference sections; for my own errata inclusive remake of Prophecy of Telor, I trawled the text and came up with the following list:

ARTIFACTS:
QUEST 1: Talisman of Lore.
QUEST 2: E. Rod of Telekinesis
QUEST 3: D. sorcerer's tome. One spell caster may read it and regain all their spells for this quest.
QUEST 8: B. Elixir of Life. Its use is explained on the matching artifact card.
Conclusion: Ring of Fortitude

POTIONS:
QUEST 1,3& 7: potion of healing that restores up to 2 lost Body Points when consumed.
QUEST 10: finds a potion of healing in each chest that restores up to 4 lost Body Points when consumed.
QUEST 12: C. an elven potion of healing that restores all lost Body points.

CHAOS SCROLL:
QUEST 4: D. You can now use the Dreadspell lightning bolt.
PAGE 18: lightning bolt and firestorm. These are takes at the beginning of each quest.

SCROLLS:
QUEST 8: F. scroll that allows the hero to cast rock skin once.
QUEST 13: D. scroll. It is a water of healing spell and may be cast twice.
QUEST 11: D. It is a heal body spell that may be cast three times.
QUEST 11: G. It is a lightning bolt spell that may be cast three time

From this, my final reference sheet became:
Talisman of Lore
Rod of Telekinesis
Sorcerer's Tome (New Card)
Elixir of Life
Ring of Fortitude
Spell Scroll - Firestorm
Spell Scroll - Heal Body
Spell Scroll - Lightning Bolt
Spell Scroll - Rock Skin
Spell Scroll - Water of Healing
Bradley Boruch / Maalicia Ironhoof (Previously Cyber333)
Fixing Avalon Hill's Rules and Quest Books by Maalicia Ironhoof
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby HispaZargon » August 4th, 2022, 9:23 am

About the one-page free document released by Hasbro as Adventure Design Kit, some people has declared in media that furniture symbols shown there are too big and do not fit with the size of the blank quest map squares in the same sheet, so taking into account this sheet is intended to be photocopied and used I guess by cutting those symbols and sticking them in the map, I would say this is also a clear misprint or something at least dissapointing since becomes the content of this sheet quite unuseful, isn' it?

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion