• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

Postby HispaZargon » March 7th, 2022, 3:45 pm

Eudoxio wrote:Found another minor typo on Telor's quest book.

Page 29, Quest 11, on the parchment text says: "dungeons below Turrek Tor" , correct is "dungeons below Turekk Tor".
Turekk was mispelled the first time is named on the text.

Yeah, you are right, the correct name is Turekk Tor according to pages 9, 11 & 13. Thanks!

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Smigol » March 9th, 2022, 5:21 am

Hello everyone!

My team has seen that in the interlude of "the prophecy of Telor", on page 18, about the bearer of the talisman, appears that "If they score equal to or greater than their current Mind Points, nothing happens. If they roll less than their current Mind Points, they feel the talisman tighten its hold and lose 1 Body Point"

The strange thing is that Mind & Body checks have always been successful in heroquest when you roll equal or LESS than your score, this makes sense to show if a hero is strong or smart because it rewards the higher status. However, here it is the other way around...
Smigol

Hero:

Postby HispaZargon » March 9th, 2022, 8:03 am

Smigol wrote:Hello everyone!

My team has seen that in the interlude of "the prophecy of Telor", on page 18, about the bearer of the talisman, appears that "If they score equal to or greater than their current Mind Points, nothing happens. If they roll less than their current Mind Points, they feel the talisman tighten its hold and lose 1 Body Point"

The strange thing is that Mind & Body checks have always been successful in heroquest when you roll equal or LESS than your score, this makes sense to show if a hero is strong or smart because it rewards the higher status. However, here it is the other way around...

Yeah, first impression says it could be an errata but I don't think so since this rule is exactly repeated many times through the questbook, and I think makes sense as written. I guess the intention of Stephen Baker was making easier for Melar to influence more in magic sensitive heroes than in non sensitive ones since he is a wizard, and magic sensitive heroes use to have more Mind Points.

Nevertheless I think there is something about Talisman bearer rules that would had been better clarified in the questbook. I think in page 18 should had been also explained that Mind Points gained by the bearer due to the talisman effects are kept through all the questpack until said otherwise since until quest #10 it is not explained that bearer returns to his normal Mind Points. In other words, I think from quest #10 notes can be derived that Mind Points gained by the Talisman increase the basic normal value of Mind Points until Melar leaves the Talisman in quest #10

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Smigol » March 9th, 2022, 8:26 am

it makes sense, thanks!
Smigol

Hero:

Postby Eudoxio » March 13th, 2022, 5:26 pm

I found another mistake on Prophecy of Telor Quest Book

In Quest 13, expaining the use of water of healing spell it says: If water of healing is cast on any monster during Zargon's turn, they are hit.
Since casting a spell uses an action it cannot be "during Zargon's turn", so that part of the phrase must be deleted leaving us: If water of healing is cast on any monster, they are hit.

Also all that part of the text explaining the water would likely fit better under the Zargon's Flame explanation on point B. But that its just my appreciation.
Eudoxio

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Eudoxio » March 13th, 2022, 6:02 pm

I have an overall thought on the Healing Potions consistency along the quest books.
Since there are no actual official cards for this mythic expansion potions, its just an appreciation but here it is:

Base game includes the treasure card "Potion of Healing", that uses 1 red dice to heal that number of BP.

On Spirit Queen's quest 4, you found a "Weak Potion of Healing" that restores 2 BP.

Telor's Quest Book, has on the Alchemist's Shop a "Potion of Healing" that restores 2BP.

On Telor's Quest 10 point C, on each chest there is a "Potion of Healing" that restores 4BP.

And on Telor's Quest 12 point C, there is an "Elven Potion of Healing" that restores all lost BP.

So Spirit Queen's and Telor's Potion on the shop that restores 2BP should be called "Potion of Minor Healing", and the one that restores 4BP should be called "Potion of High Healing" (Weak Potion of Healing and Strong Potion of Healing are an alternative)

Giving us this 4 types of heal potions to use on custom game things:
Potion of Healing = 1 red dice
Potion of Minor Healing/Weak Potion of Healing = 2BP
Potion of High Healing/Strong Potion of Healing = 4BP
Elven Potion of Healing = All BP

Any thoughts on this? :)
Eudoxio

Orc
Orc

Hero:

Postby j_dean80 » March 13th, 2022, 6:42 pm

Eudoxio wrote:I have an overall thought on the Healing Potions consistency along the quest books.
Since there are no actual official cards for this mythic expansion potions, its just an appreciation but here it is:

Base game includes the treasure card "Potion of Healing", that uses 1 red dice to heal that number of BP.

On Spirit Queen's quest 4, you found a "Weak Potion of Healing" that restores 2 BP.

Telor's Quest Book, has on the Alchemist's Shop a "Potion of Healing" that restores 2BP.

On Telor's Quest 10 point C, on each chest there is a "Potion of Healing" that restores 4BP.

And on Telor's Quest 12 point C, there is an "Elven Potion of Healing" that restores all lost BP.

So Spirit Queen's and Telor's Potion on the shop that restores 2BP should be called "Potion of Minor Healing", and the one that restores 4BP should be called "Potion of High Healing" (Weak Potion of Healing and Strong Potion of Healing are an alternative)

Giving us this 4 types of heal potions to use on custom game things:
Potion of Healing = 1 red dice
Potion of Minor Healing/Weak Potion of Healing = 2BP
Potion of High Healing/Strong Potion of Healing = 4BP
Elven Potion of Healing = All BP

Any thoughts on this? :)

My Heroes just write on their sheet: 4 Heal, 1 red die Heal, etc. Makes it simpler to keep track of the different ones.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Ye Olde Inn Quest Design Competition 2024 Joint Winner

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » March 17th, 2022, 8:46 pm

Eudoxio wrote:I found another mistake on Prophecy of Telor Quest Book

In Quest 13, expaining the use of water of healing spell it says: If water of healing is cast on any monster during Zargon's turn, they are hit.
Since casting a spell uses an action it cannot be "during Zargon's turn", so that part of the phrase must be deleted leaving us: If water of healing is cast on any monster, they are hit.

Also all that part of the text explaining the water would likely fit better under the Zargon's Flame explanation on point B. But that its just my appreciation.

Hi. Yes, this is a clear misprint, but I guess a more correct sentence there would be the following one:

"If water of healing is cast on any monster, they are hit, but during Zargon's turn, you may only call out one number to save them!"

I think that could be the Stephen's intention there, in order to represent that casting water of healing makes easier to defeat the monsters that embraced Zargon's Flame since it would reduce to 1/6 the succesful defence probability of the monster, instead of standard 1/3. Otherwise the last sentence "You may only call..." would not have had any sense as written there, I think.

Nevertheless I think, Zargon's Flame general rules and its relative quest notes could had been better explained since makes confusions like these ones:

- Why the parchment says water of healing may destroy creatures but Note E suggests (with errata) that it only reduces the effectiveness of the Flame? I guess the parchment text exaggerates the power of water of healing in this case but who knows...

- Does water of healing affect Fellmarak or it does only affect regular monsters? I guess Fellmarak is also affected if we strictly consider that it is also 'any monster', but who knows...

- Do wandering monsters from this quest embrace Zargon's Flame? Well, I would say that makes sense to say yes, but if we strictly read the Zargon's Flame rules in Note B, they only refer to "All monsters shown on the map..." so officially, wandering monsters would not be not affected by Flame's rules...

- Can Fellmarak be defeated by just one regular hit? Yes, of course, attending to Zargon's Flame rules, only one single hit with a dagger could definitely kill the villain, which I think could be quite anti-climatic... if we don't assume that Zargon also makes mistakes and probably their magical tricks are not so powerful :-).

In the other hand, checking again Prophecy of Telor's questpack I think there a misprint that was already detected and included in the summary that I think its posible solution should be revised. It is the following one:

- Page 12: The room with letter D cannot be accessed in any way. - As good solution, a secret door may be placed between room with letter D and room with letter C, in the free square next to its fireplace -> Well, this was of course a valid solution, but after looking again to it, I think there is a more simple and better one, which is placing a regular door in the square just below letter D (see bottom picture), instead of placing the previously suggested secret door. Why I think is better? Well, letter D will provide the talisman's bearer the knowledge of casting Lighting Bolt spells, which is something so interesting for the bearer special rules of this questpack and if a secret door was placed there, maybe the bearer would never find that room nor learn such magical knowledge as consequence so I think it would be better to place a regular door there. Moreover, I guess placing there the door would symmetrically match with the other doors located at the corridor and it would also be fully compatible with the number of closed (x5) and open (x16) doors included in the basic game box. Anyway, an official answer from Hasbro (or from Stephen Baker's himself :-) ) to solve this misprint would be appreciated.

POT_Quest_4_Missing_Door_by_HispaZargon.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Eudoxio » March 17th, 2022, 10:01 pm

HispaZargon wrote:
Eudoxio wrote:I found another mistake on Prophecy of Telor Quest Book

Hi. Yes, this is a clear misprint, but I guess a more correct sentence there would be the following one:

"If water of healing is cast on any monster, they are hit, but during Zargon's turn, you may only call out one number to save them!"

I think that could be the Stephen's intention there, in order to represent that casting water of healing makes easier to defeat the monsters that embraced Zargon's Flame since it would reduce to 1/6 the succesful defence probability of the monster, instead of standard 1/3. Otherwise the last sentence "You may only call..." would not have had any sense as written there, I think.

Nevertheless I think, Zargon's Flame general rules and its relative quest notes could had been better explained since makes confusions like these ones:

- Why the parchment says water of healing may destroy creatures but Note E suggests (with errata) that it only reduces the effectiveness of the Flame? I guess the parchment text exaggerates the power of water of healing in this case but who knows...

- Does water of healing affect Fellmarak or it does only affect regular monsters? I guess Fellmarak is also affected if we strictly consider that it is also 'any monster', but who knows...

- Do wandering monsters from this quest embrace Zargon's Flame? Well, I would say that makes sense to say yes, but if we strictly read the Zargon's Flame rules in Note B, they only refer to "All monsters shown on the map..." so officially, wandering monsters would not be not affected by Flame's rules...

- Can Fellmarak be defeated by just one regular hit? Yes, of course, attending to Zargon's Flame rules, only one single hit with a dagger could definitely kill the villain, which I think could be quite anti-climatic... if we don't assume that Zargon also makes mistakes and probably their magical tricks are not so powerful :-).

In the other hand, checking again Prophecy of Telor's questpack I think there a misprint that was already detected and included in the summary that I think its posible solution should be revised. It is the following one:

- Page 12: The room with letter D cannot be accessed in any way. - As good solution, a secret door may be placed between room with letter D and room with letter C, in the free square next to its fireplace -> Well, this was of course a valid solution, but after looking again to it, I think there is a more simple and better one, which is placing a regular door in the square just below letter D (see bottom picture), instead of placing the previously suggested secret door. Why I think is better? Well, letter D will provide the talisman's bearer the knowledge of casting Lighting Bolt spells, which is something so interesting for the bearer special rules of this questpack and if a secret door was placed there, maybe the bearer would never find that room nor learn such magical knowledge as consequence so I think it would be better to place a regular door there. Moreover, I guess placing there the door would symmetrically match with the other doors located at the corridor and it would also be fully compatible with the number of closed (x5) and open (x16) doors included in the basic game box. Anyway, an official answer from Hasbro (or from Stephen Baker's himself :-) ) to solve this misprint would be appreciated.

POT_Quest_4_Missing_Door_by_HispaZargon.JPG

Yeah, a bit expanded explanation will be great on the flame, i think tho the parchment exagerates the power for dramatic purposes, and according to point E, yeah Fellmarak can be defeated even with a lucky dagger hit, still has 4 defend dice :D

On page 12 Secret door, i thought the same, but point B explicitly tells to the bearer that there is something in that room, so the secret door to find on room C, is a great choice to have, until an official clarification is made.

Hoping they will do an official fixes document at least :)
https://twitter.com/AvalonHill/status/1503819901051576325
Eudoxio

Orc
Orc

Hero:

Postby HispaZargon » March 18th, 2022, 6:17 am

Eudoxio wrote:On page 12 Secret door, i thought the same, but point B explicitly tells to the bearer that there is something in that room, so the secret door to find on room C, is a great choice to have, until an official clarification is made.

Yeah of course Note B gives a clue to the heroes that inside room D there is something of interest, and could justify placing there a secret door instead of a regular one. But this led to me thinking if the most simple solution could be the designer's intended one, attending to Oakham Knife Principle... what if the secret door was just intended to be placed in the right hand corridor, in the free square next to the sorcerer's table? This could easily fit with Note B text and would probably ensure the heroes enter room D and find the Lightning Bolt knowledge since the secret door is quite near to Note B square... Moreover, this solution would also give the pit trap a more important role I think if players search secret doors before searching traps (I guess in that case they would probably be temptated to walk to the secret door from maked B square without searching for traps, falling in the pit). Now I honestly like more putting there the secret door.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion