• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Hero Quest 2021 Remake: Errata Compilation

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 11th, 2021, 10:44 am

Kurgan wrote:By that logic the first hero to search gets nothing but the other three get to each draw a card. Does that make sense?

Daedalus wrote:Sorry I didn't make it clearer, Kurgan, but no. (You got my meaning, Nlinindoll.) As Joe's Quests are written, all four heroes get to draw Treasure Cards. If a Quest note of "the chest is empty" were added, no Heroes would draw Treasure Cards. At least, that's how I understand it.

Wait, what? I've never played that way ever. Just one traps search per room, one secret doors search per room, one treasure search per room...you guys let all FOUR players search for treasure in every room?!?!?!
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Nlinindoll » November 11th, 2021, 11:57 am

Cael Darkhollow wrote:
Kurgan wrote:By that logic the first hero to search gets nothing but the other three get to each draw a card. Does that make sense?

Daedalus wrote:Sorry I didn't make it clearer, Kurgan, but no. (You got my meaning, Nlinindoll.) As Joe's Quests are written, all four heroes get to draw Treasure Cards. If a Quest note of "the chest is empty" were added, no Heroes would draw Treasure Cards. At least, that's how I understand it.

Wait, what? I've never played that way ever. Just one traps search per room, one secret doors search per room, one treasure search per room...you guys let all FOUR players search for treasure in every room?!?!?!

I didn’t when I was playing the original game, but I was young and probably only read the rules once (if at all), but upon rereading the Rule Book for the Hasbro HQ21, it appears this is the rule: heroes can each search a room once and draw a treasure card after any quest book treasures are claimed by fhe first hero searching.
Nlinindoll

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby Kurgan » November 11th, 2021, 12:28 pm

Sorry for misunderstanding (and the digression, this thread is for spotting errors, not necessarily how they ought to be fixed if it's not obvious).

Don't feel bad Nlinindoll, we played it "wrong" as kids too. The NA rules back then said (and still in the remake), one treasure search per hero, per room. I think we first allowed everyone to search as much as they wanted (treasure deck got depleted fast) or else we just had one search period, per room.

If you take the "the treasure chest is empty" as meaning "there's no treasure in this room, period" then yeah, no cards. If you just take it as a placeholder for the special treasure, the first searcher probably feels stiffed. Then again in the EU game there was actually a treasure card that was called "Nothing," so I guess that softened the blow. You could imagine that the first guy wasted his time jimmying open the chest only to find nothing inside, while the next guy was like "hey look, a pile of gold coins right NEXT to the chest here" hey a potion of healing in the corner on the opposite side of the room you guys forgot to look" and "hey check it out, in this other corner... A WANDERING ORC!!!!" Eventually the Heroes will deplete the deck (if the quest has enough rooms) of good cards and stop searching for treasure, unless there's some benefit to the risk (say, a required artifact needing to be found).

It's not quite clear to me the precise intention, unless the notes say there's no other treasure in the room (which I'd take as a clear "no more searches will turn up anything" result).

When I see an completely unmarked treasure chest in a quest, my tendency as Zargon is to see this as an error and take the opportunity to put something in it (ahead of time of course). I guess a strict following of the rules would be to just make it a card draw but if the "chest is empty" to give them nothing. What you do the next time someone searches is up to the GM.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » November 11th, 2021, 1:24 pm

More errata:

- Spirit Queen's Torment questbook, page 12: The two chests marked with letter C should had been coloured in orange since they contain traps.

- Spirit Queen's Torment questbook, page 23, Note B: The Heroes can find in the weapons rack a spear, however the Game System Equipment cards deck does not include any Spear card so its rules are unknown. I guess the rules for the spear should be the same ones as in classic european version of the game (2 Attack Dice, Diagonal Attack allowed) and they should had been written in Note B or included as an Equipment card at the end of the questbook, even in the Game System box.

- Spirit Queen's Torment questbook, page 24: The two secret doors are coloured in orange but they should not since they do not contain traps.

- Spirit Queen's Torment questbook, page 28: The two secret doors are coloured in orange but they should not since they do not contain traps.
Last edited by HispaZargon on November 12th, 2021, 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby HispaZargon » November 11th, 2021, 10:22 pm

Hi, about note "the chest is empty" discussion... According to what I say below, I think the questbooks may be left as they are now in case of chests without any content description and treat them as any other irrelevant furniture, ignoring what they are, so they may not be considered as erratas:

Daedalus wrote:I agree with your assessment that the above-mentioned chests are empty. As such, searching Heroes should draw a Treasure Card, same as if a Cupboard other piece of furniture was there but not noted. I think this is the intent of the designer--more possible rewards in a tough Quests.

Yes, I think you are right, I agree.

Daedalus wrote:The rooms should not have notes added about the chests being empty. If they were changed to include such notes, then that would count as special treasure noted for each room (the chest is empty.) That means no Treasure Cards may be drawn there, since they are only drawn if there is no special treasure noted for that room.

First afirmation is correct according to 2021 HQ rulebook, page 15: "If no special treasure is called out in the Quest Book, you must draw a random card from the treasure card deck..." but sorry, the second one is not correct according to 2021 HQ rulebook, page 14: "A room may be searched by all four heroes, but each individual hero may only search the room once..." and page 15: "The special treasure is discovered only once by the first hero who searches the room for treasure, even if other heroes later search that same room". Additionally, several of the new questbooks assume the heroes may search the same room several times, for example there are rooms with more than one chest where first hero who searchs only opens the first ches, the second hero who searchs only open the second chest, and so on. I don't like too much playing in that way for 3 reasons: First, Heroes draw too many treasures and they gain too much equipment too early. Second, it is more difficult for the Evil Wizard player account which rooms have been already searched yet and which Hero did it. And Third one: It makes the playing experience quite slow. I only allow seaching once each room, but this is another thread... and the rules today are the rules.

Well, according to the 2021 rules I think it is clear that is how it should be played if there is a note in que questbook that says "the chest is empty". It has not too much sense... or yes, the first player tries to find something first in the chest with no success an he/she wastes their turn and after that another hero searches another corners of the room :-) ... I don't like it, of course the result sucks a little bit if you write the note "the chest is empty" and you strictly follow the rules... therefore, I agree Daedalus, leaving those chests without any note is better since it means that players should draw a treasure and if has any reward, we could assume for example it is found inside the unknown chest or wherever else in the room.

Again, if you strictly follow the 2021 rules (see above), Kurgan is right in the case "the chest is empty" is writen and first player will search the room by opening the chest with none reward and second player will search room by drawing a card. It is quite silly but if you follow the rules that's what they mean I think since all 4 players may search treasure in any room. If there is furniture with a reward taken by first searching hero, the rules do not avoid to search the room a second time by other hero. I insist I don't play in such way but it is what the rules say.

Cael Darkhollow wrote:Wait, what? I've never played that way ever. Just one traps search per room, one secret doors search per room, one treasure search per room...you guys let all FOUR players search for treasure in every room?!?!?!

According to 2021 rules (see above) YES, the four heroes can search all the rooms, in other words to be clear, each room can be searched four times in any case.

Nlinindoll wrote:No, I take it as if you can ignore the chest. As if there were only some other uninteresting piece of furniture in the room. So, after the first person searches, “the furniture/chest reveals nothing of interest. Draw a treasure card for searching the room.”

Nlinindoll wrote:...but upon rereading the Rule Book for the Hasbro HQ21, it appears this is the rule: heroes can each search a room once and draw a treasure card after any quest book treasures are claimed by fhe first hero searching.

Yes, I think you are right. My interpretation of 2021 rules is the same.
Last edited by HispaZargon on November 11th, 2021, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Grishnakh » November 11th, 2021, 10:35 pm

Prophecy of Telor, Page 8 - There seems to be a wayward arrow pointing down at the bottom of the page.

(Wow, first post! And I've been on these boards since 2018. Shame on me huh?!)
Grishnakh

Hero:

Postby HispaZargon » November 11th, 2021, 10:40 pm

Grishnakh wrote:Prophecy of Telor, Page 8 - There seems to be a wayward arrow pointing down at the bottom of the page.

Very good catch!

Rewards:
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » November 11th, 2021, 10:42 pm

This thread has motivated me to read out the entire 2021 Rulebook... and now it's making me want to read through the entire other quest books as well. Great job once again spotting those issues everyone... :cookie: |_P

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Hogg » November 11th, 2021, 11:16 pm

SQT Quest 8, missing stone block icons to block shaded corridors.

SQT Quest 14, no door into final room "C." - Disregard, HispaZargon pointed out that heroes can pass through walls in this quest.
Last edited by Hogg on November 12th, 2021, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hogg

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 12th, 2021, 11:39 am

Kurgan wrote:This thread has motivated me to read out the entire 2021 Rulebook... and now it's making me want to read through the entire other quest books as well. Great job once again spotting those issues everyone... :cookie: |_P

I'm gonna reread all the rules EU, NA, 2021 myself.
Regardless I will always play searches as just THREE SEARCHES PER ROOM, Treasure (once!), Secret Doors (once!), Traps (Once!) period. And if they want to search a fallen into pit for a treasure while they are down there, I guess whomever died there previously might have dropped a bit of coin, makes sense, but NOT searching pits for secret doors or traps duh.
Of course searching hallways for traps and secret doors (but not treasure!) is logical. I've always felt if they search for secret doors before traps in a hallway they should trigger the traps in the hallway too.

Of course players can only search once per turn. I am not making charts for every player to see which room they haven't searched yet for treasure, even though their buddies already did. Ridiculous and would slow the game and break the immersion. If someone searched the room for treasure in a thorough and methodical fashion I.E. A SEARCH, it defies logic that THREE others would find anything that the first missed, one perhaps if the first search was sloppy but four treasure searches? Realism has some place in board games...
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion