• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

HeroQuest Card Game - Classic Edition mod?

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

HeroQuest Card Game - Classic Edition mod?

Postby Kurgan » August 7th, 2021, 11:49 am

I don't have a lot of interest in the rare, apparently hastily released "HeroQuest Card Game" (released in February I believe? obviously inspired by the new Hasbro Remake) but I had a thought.

Would this obscure game be "Better" if it were "remade" using classic HQ elements? I'm thinking replace the graphics with the graphics from the original game, use fonts more similar to the old game, use the original dice, heroscribe symbols, etc.

The brief discussion we had for this barely advertised game on amazon was that it used cheap materials (big plastic cubes with stickers for the dice, cards where the ink came off on your hands...). Surely the community could do better! I don't know the game's rules.

Would anyone who has the Card game be up to this task? Could be a neat little project if anyone wanted, to tide us over. I know a few people who might be interested in playing such a thing. I couldn't find the old thread talking about it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: HeroQuest Card Game - Classic Edition mod?

Postby StratosVX » August 7th, 2021, 3:55 pm

I would like to see something like this happen, but I do not have the game nor do I have much in the way of time for the foreseeable future. However, I do know the Inn has some very talented folks who could come up with some high quality art to make something better than what was released.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 7th, 2021, 6:24 pm

Kurgan wrote:. . . Would anyone who has the Card game be up to this task? Could be a neat little project if anyone wanted, to tide us over. I know a few people who might be interested in playing such a thing. I couldn't find the old thread talking about it...

Look here.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » August 7th, 2021, 11:05 pm

Daedalus wrote:
Kurgan wrote:. . . Would anyone who has the Card game be up to this task? Could be a neat little project if anyone wanted, to tide us over. I know a few people who might be interested in playing such a thing. I couldn't find the old thread talking about it...

Look here.

Thanks! |_P

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby lestodante » August 8th, 2021, 9:13 am

Kurgan wrote:Would this obscure game be "Better" if it were "remade" using classic HQ elements?

Sure, it really needs an upgrade!!
First of all using a hero of another really doesn't make any diference in the game unless you're lucky (or unlucky) to draw all cards with the threats symbol that better fit your hero. But there is absolutely no strategy do use if you use an hero or another. Maybe he only difference is about healing yourself by the wizard.

I would instead make the characters more different, the search tokens more useful (could help finding items, potions..) and more weapons to increase your chance to survive. Spell scrolls can also be featured as an add-on. For sure the Wizard and the Elf should have their elemental spells and a chaos spell card should be targeting at a random hero (roll a die) or with special instructions (attack the hero with more/less BP, or the hero on your left and so on) so player can not apply a strategy on the evil wizard cards.
Also secret doors card should be added, for example when you pick up one of them you may chose to go through it or no and in the first case you must roll a die and follow results shown on the card (1-3 add 5 cards to the deck or 4-6 remove 3 cards from the main deck or similar things).

There is a lot to do on this to create a brand new game in my opinion. But at this point I think it wiould be better to create a new one, with no copyrights.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Dstinct » August 31st, 2021, 2:31 am

I'd be interested in this. I was already in the process of gathering assets and building templates to do a P&P of the current edition since I don't think it's ever going to have an actual proper release. I got a look at a buddy's copy, but he had to leave back home before I had a chance to scan it in. I was also looking at changing the cards to standard poker, as well as the players and door. That way it all fits in a standard deck box. I can do the graphic design end if others are willing to help out with gathering art assets.

It would also be nice to redo the instruction sheet. On this forum and BGG there are a posts clearly showing it could have been clearer, so why not take the time to do it right?
Dstinct

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Daedalus » September 1st, 2021, 2:00 pm

I think Kurgan intended that the card game be redone with 1989 components, not new art from a game currently sold on the market by Hasbro. Reproducing the game with the same new art might be seen as a copywrite infringement of a current product.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » September 1st, 2021, 9:07 pm

Exactly right Daedalus. Obviously this would just be a "for fun" project, re-creating it using the vintage components and old art style. I have no interest in doing it, but just throwing the idea out there for others if they are so inclined. :2cents:

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HispaZargon » September 2nd, 2021, 8:15 am

Hi. Although I don't like too much some of the details about the new 'official' card game previously mentioned on this thread, I am quite interested in having the card game in old style artwork (with current new artwork is already available in shops). In the other hand, not too much interested at first moment in having a customized HQ card game with different rules than the official one so I would be interested if both versions were converted or just the official one. I could try to colaborate on this edition but once I had time for that since I would like to finish first the other projects I am already working in. Additionally I don't own by now any copy of the card game, maybe purchasing one could be a good first step. Anyway, here I am for any future colaboration.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Librarian-Analyst
HispaZargon
Inn's Guardian

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » September 2nd, 2021, 10:30 am

A few people (not me) own the card game and have provided information at the link above. Perhaps more info can be found as well, such as the text on the cards and so forth to start with.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next