• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Role reversal

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Role reversal

Postby torilen » December 23rd, 2010, 1:56 pm

as I stated, I went over this some before, but didn't go anywhere with it. You've got me looking at it
again, now. I like the revision - two minds work better than, they always say. The stronger, average, smarter
human idea works really well, using the base total of 6.

I like the idea of having normal "smarter" humans casting only a couple of basic spells.

Now, one other way to distinguish humans is by their "weapons". Maybe they use wooden pitch forks that don't
really kill, they only knock out or disable the target. Maybe they use dull and rusty sickles, and so their not as
effective. Not really sure how this would play out as far as rules and making their weapons all that different
from the heroes. Just the beginning of a thought, really...hadn't worked that out so much.

Good ideas though...good ideas. yes, this could definitely prove to be fun and useful for making new adventures.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Rath of Un » December 23rd, 2010, 4:48 pm

I was thinking about how the weapons would factor in to the standard humans (towns folk) I was thinking that the town would have like 1 or 2 champions and then might have a short sward each and maybe a shield. Then the standard human might have like a pitch fork, (works just like a staff). This would allow a mob of towns folk to do a reasonable amount of damage.
Like and angry mob of 6 towns folk

1 Champion (short sword) Body 4, Mind 2
5 Towns Folk (Staff) Body 3, Mind 3

This is where the mob gets a little unbalanced, the Body points is quite a bit to deal with total 19 in the example above. (however the quest I am thinking about putting together would have a larger battle, with many monsters and the like) The Angry mob would be like cannon fodder. So that the Heroes could shine, but the more towns folk that stay alive the more gold the Heroes would get upon completion.
Last edited by Rath of Un on December 24th, 2010, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Rath of Un

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » December 24th, 2010, 12:44 pm

ah - so you're thinking of having the townsfolk and the heroes working together...

interesting where my mind first turned - I was thinking of using the towns folk in the
place of monsters - the heroes do something wrong, or the town is simply set against
them by some other force, and they either have to fight and kill the townsfolk, or find
a way to escape without harming them (because they know, really, that the townsfolk
don't mean to attack them).

ha - very interesting where my mind turns first.

but no, not really too much to deal with, a total of 19 body points - if you're having a
large group of monsters attack the town, I think that would be a good number of town
camps/simple folks - and then throw the heroes in "to shine" as you put it - that would
make a nice large, open-area battle

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Rath of Un » December 24th, 2010, 3:05 pm

Wow, I never thought of having the towns folk replacing the monsters. That is a really good idea! It could be a two quest story. The Heroes are sent to help out a town that is possessed, the the first leg of the quest is to break the the spell. Then the second would be to rid the town of the evil in the area. With a mob of towns people helping out. I think I might run with this idea.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Rath of Un

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Ryno » February 2nd, 2011, 6:57 pm

Rath of un, you gave me an idea!

A two part quest where the first part: the players are the monsters sent by zargon to destroy and murder all of the villagers, while the gm plays as the villagers and a merc or two. The second part: the players are the heroes clearing out the undead (the same villagers you killed in the first part).

I love all of the out of the box thinking in this thread guys!
Ryno

Mummy
Mummy

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » February 3rd, 2011, 6:47 am

I like the out of the box thinking too. I think there is more to come and to my mind none of it deviates too much, if at all, from the heroquest system.

I'm going to make a quest book with one-off - role reversed and competitive quests based on these ideas.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby octovian » February 10th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Sounds like a good idea. Tell me how it works out!
octovian

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby HeroQuestFrance » February 11th, 2011, 6:12 am

Your idea is excellent.
I'm going to give to my heroes a quest in which they are controling the chaos forces (some orc & gobelin groups) to find 4 basic heroes + their 24 henchmens

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
HeroQuestFrance

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion