• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Role reversal

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Role reversal

Postby Draven » December 5th, 2010, 9:17 am

Another idea I had in relation to the Ogre quest I ran, was to have the group play as four evil figures (probably a chaos warrior, mummy, fimir and chaos sorcerer) sent by morcar to find a large treasure to pay for their war effort. Me, as Mentor would control Men at arms, the heroes, and a group of dwarfs that I have. Again it would just be a change from playing as heroes week in week out. Again you could even reuse an old map and slightly alter it as you go.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Draven

Zombie
Zombie

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Role reversal

Postby torilen » December 5th, 2010, 4:29 pm

Good one for this would be the entire Kellar's Keep quest book - fill it with dwarves. Suppose after the heroes flush the
bad guys out, the dwarves retake and resettle the keep and its caverns. That would work great.

you may need to "invent" a few new dwarves to keep things a little different, though. Maybe give some
dwarves priest-like powers for casting - have a few that are engineer types - maybe they have mechanical inventions
or black powder weapons (like small bombs).

Could throw in some siege engine stuff - I saw on mythbusters, they rebuilt a large machine-gun style crossbow, using
some plans drawn up by Archimedes - and it worked spectacularly.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Draven » December 6th, 2010, 3:37 pm

Had considered using dwarves for Kellars Keep, but hadn't thought along the lines of making them different types. That sounds like a good plan.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Draven

Zombie
Zombie

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » December 7th, 2010, 3:22 pm

if you need any help or ideas, let me know

you may want to look at some new traps, too - since dwarves are always known for engineering

you could maybe look at having dwarf "relatives" too - gnomes, perhaps, which would be great for
arcane type spells and illusions (basing that on typically modern fantasy usages)

just some thoughts

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Rath of Un » December 7th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Years ago: some of my friends and I played with the Grey Models as the villains. The Chaos Warlock piece and the Gargoyle, each had two Chaos Warriors as Body Guards. Each of the Quest that we ran was basically an attack on an Orc village to conscript Orcs to be in the Evil Army. We ran two quests like that, and then one quest to try to assassinate the heroes before they are able to start there quest. It was pretty cool, they enjoyed that, so we then ran a some of the first quests in the Base game with those characters. It was a different take on the same rule set.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Rath of Un

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » December 8th, 2010, 5:39 am

Another option (for 3 players) would be to have 1 group of 4 monsters (eg orcs) copntrolled by player 1, vs another group of 4 monsters (eg skaven) controlled by player 2, vs a version of morcar who controlls the forces of good. The monster groups are playing against each other and against the good characters, to achieve the objective.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » December 9th, 2010, 10:32 am

That's a neat idea ethica - kind of a heroquest free-for-all Colosseum kind of thing.

You could do the same idea with 2 groups of heroes (might have to use different game pieces
if you don't have two or more sets of hero pieces) - but that could be interesting too.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Rath of Un » December 21st, 2010, 1:50 am

Has anyone ever given it any thought about what I basic humans stats might be? I was thinking that I would be something like a total base 5 points, however you would want to split them up.

Like:

Stronger person might have
Body 4
Mind 1

An average person might have

Body 3
Mind 2

Or

Body 2
Mind 3

and a smarter person would be like

Body 1
Mind 4

This would make for some interesting NPC's in the game, and could add for some interesting quests.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Rath of Un

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » December 21st, 2010, 7:57 pm

I've run over that a few times...with most role-playing games I've worked on that - I always think it
is a good idea to know what the stats of a regular person would be. Gives everyone the sense of a real
world around them, and also gives them a sense of why the heroes ARE heroes - they're different, they're
better.

I don't know if I would go so far as to make any certain stat a 1, though. I f you notice, even the barbarian
has a 2 for mind, and the wizard has a 4 for body. If you look at the hero stats, I believe they all add up
to 10 - I would maybe say a normal person would have 6 or 7 - that allows for all stats to be at least a

You can think about it this way - you would want a regular person to at least be able to take on a single
goblin without help, right? 2 or 3, he would have trouble with, as well as anything stronger.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Rath of Un » December 22nd, 2010, 4:42 pm

not a bad idea, I was also thinking that the Wizard's body points are that of a average human, but he is smarter. On the other side of that is the Elf has a mind of 4 and he can use spells, which is something that an average human can not do. After looking at it a little more if I used a base 6 for the human stat line that would make the average human a Body 3 and Mind 3, (not too out of balanced)

Stronger human

Body: 4
mind: 2

Average human

Body: 3
Mind: 3

Smarter human

Body: 2
Mind: 4

I was thinking that the smarter human might be able to do some very basic magic spells like one or two. (Example, Rock skin, Swift wind,...)
This could make for some interesting quests by having a local guide helping out with the dungeon crawl.

Rewards:
Rath of Un

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion