• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hasbro 2021 Remake: Public Unboxings ARE HERE!

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Should someone at the Inn post a public unboxing video of New Heroquest?

Poll ended at January 19th, 2022, 9:16 pm

Yes, more info is good
93%
No, spoilers are bad, I won't click on it
No votes
No, an official vid will get posted ahead of time
3%
No, doesn't tell me how it plays
3%

Total votes : 29

Re: Hasbro 2021 Remake - Public Unboxing: seeking volunteers

Postby Kurgan » April 28th, 2021, 7:00 pm

HeroQuest Remake 2021 Unboxing Questions:

Mythic Tier vs Heroic Tier:

What is the plastic on the miniatures like... is it like the Reaper Bones hard rubber (polymer)? I assume so, but people still ask.
How easy do you think it would be to mod these? The bases are round, how easy to re-base them?

Is all of the furniture brown or is some of it gray or other colors?

Do the skulls and rats actually pin to the furniture or would you need to glue them on?

Scale of furniture compared to the originals?

What color are the "bonus" figures (female Heroes, male Elf, "Mentor," Witch Lord, Sir Ragnar). Are the new heroes all red too?

Size of cards (measurements and compared to originals).
Size of minis (compared to originals).
Exact board dimensions.
Any changes in instruction book. New Rules or Rule Clarifications?
Any changes in text on spells or equipment (Especially Borin's Armor, Courage, Rock Skin, Orc's bane).

Are all the NA artifacts included... is there Elixir of Life, Wand of Magic as opposed to Wand of Recall, Wizard's Staff, Wizard's Cloak and Ring of Return?... are all of the NA exclusive KK/ROTWL artifacts included? (Spell Scrolls, Armband of healing, Anti-poison quill, etc).

What are the dice made of (plastic?) and what size are they compared to the originals? Glossy or matte? Painted inscribed details?

What do the character sheets look like compared to the originals. How many roughly are in the pad, and what size are they compared to the originals?

New Quests:

What new Artifacts are there?

How many are there?
Was "Rogar's Hall" included or is it truly a free bonus quest?
Where do these quest packs take place in the Hero Quest chronology?
Do they incorporate the "New Heroes" or not?
Are the new Heroes inserted in the "original" 14 quests or the KK, ROTWL remakes?

How are the tiles compared to the old set? Double sided? Thick like the Game System or thinner like the KK/ROTWL ?

Are there any "maps" of the Hero Quest World or new backstory text we didn't get before?

What all are included in the Equipment cards? Is there a Spear? Cloak? Any other additions from the EU versions that was ported over?

Are there any new Treasure cards, or are Holy Water and Potion of speed considered "equipment" now?

Are the "Alchemist Shop" Potions equipment cards or what?

Is the Potion of Healing in the Treasure deck still "1 red die" or is it "4 body points" automatically? Compare the distributions to the Inn. Is it the same exact deck from the NA version or are there changes? (besides artwork)

Any other included supplements in the box (fliers, trays, etc) other than what we originally got?

6 months to go... ?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Shadzar » May 9th, 2021, 5:26 pm

Kurgan wrote:6 months to go... ?

Who knows, after the first week of April HASBRO hasnt updated the twitter or anything, it is quite possible WIZARDS is now back in chanrge of Avalon Hill, so the woke will get worse before the product releases, and for me that would be grounds for "bait & switch" lawsuit, because i purchased based on WIZARDS and WotC not having anything to do with Avalon Hill or its properties. I do not support WotC for ANY reason.

10/22/2020 is the last update on the website, and the Pulse campaign page has not been updated at all, April 6th was the last "reveal" of prototype minis, while we could see more minis in the background that they got as samples.

Also how does one even put pictures on this silly forum? Every time i try i cant figure out where to do so, because i have a new "camera" for minis, and it aint the best, but it can take some pics of things, IF HQ ever ships.

All i can figure out how to do is to host and hotlink images from other places. :?

Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » May 9th, 2021, 10:51 pm

I can see it (mushroom man!). Yeah I tried hotlinking images I had hosted in other threads into one and it didn't work after a day so it may not be allowed... Just post the URLs instead.

As for the product itself, the unboxing will give more people a chance to return the thing for a refund if they decide they made a mistake buying it a year ago (which it will be by the time the thing comes out). I highly doubt they will suddenly revamp/rewrite the thing, but if you are not wanting to support the company, I can understand that if things changed behind the scenes in the meantime.

The pics they posted of the combat dice being square (rather than the nicely rendered rounded corner dice shown in the trailer video and on the page itself during the fundraiser) look terrible and why post pics of generic red dice without gold pips? As before, the PR campaign for the product has been really slipshod. It's like they're riding purely on goodwill and hope for most of it. AT LEAST we know there will be some stylistic differences and some different characters paired with some (content unknown) new quests. But yes, very little news since the stopped taking orders. Hence once again why a community info campaign like this is needed. If they won't do it, we will and we'll spread our info far and wide. I bet a ton of people on facebook will have no idea, of course. If its not what people were expecting, there will be a lot more angry customers and I suppose they could then say "but you bought it virtually site unseen, whose fault is that?"

But we'll try to be productive and helpful, though complaining has its place.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Shadzar » May 10th, 2021, 5:01 am

Kurgan wrote:I can see it (mushroom man!). Yeah I tried hotlinking images I had hosted in other threads into one and it didn't work after a day so it may not be allowed... Just post the URLs instead.

Well if the quality of the Myconid is fine i might be able to post some images when/if it ever arrives. :? But only of the minis that fit within the space i have with this "camera" i rigged up from old parts.
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby cornixt » May 10th, 2021, 10:29 am

Given the chatter from those who missed out on the crowdfunding, anyone who gets a copy would make quite a bit of money if they just sold it on to someone else unopened rather than sent it back. Whether that aligns with your principles is up to you.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Caveat emptor !!??

Postby Kurgan » May 10th, 2021, 11:20 am

We all know there exist many (non-fans) who bought multiple sets, just to re-sell them (with markup) on ebay... we know there will always be people who will buy those and resell (again) as well, and a few will pay ANY price because they "gotta have it." And the fear that this will be a limited release simply feeds into that mentality. That's the (sad) reality.

We also know there will be fanboys who will buy anything and claim to love it, and be personally offended if you imply it is anything less than perfect, who will accuse you of not being a true fan if you don't love everything they love. This too is a fact of the universe, just like the fact that there will be anti-fanboys who will hate everything no matter what (and you're a bad person if you don't agree with them). And when there are legit complaints, these extremes provide the perfect excuse to dismiss all criticism, which is extremely annoying (we've seen it before in other franchises).

But I'm thinking of a different demographic... those who were hopeful fans... who wanted it to be good, to support a quality product that honors the HeroQuest brand, but also want to send a message to Hasbro if it indeed disappoints. They are questioning things a little bit. We want to help them out with objective information. Facts, evidence, these are the tools which empower actual customers.

The point of the unboxing will be to show people who are unsure if they want it anymore (or for any future buyers).

Whether you sell it, return it, give it away or take a zippo to the thing, that's your choice what you do with your property. But if some people legitimately want to know what this product is about and it makes them decide they want their money back, then that is the way we send a message to Hasbro about it.

In all likelihood, most people who pledged and don't really want it will either re-sell without even caring (as above), or will rip it open then post on facebook how disappointed they are and Hasbro will have the perfect excuse to ignore them (unless it makes really bad press for them I suppose).

A couple people sacrificing their refund in order to help others from a rude awakening is doing a service to Hasbro, granted, a service that ought not to be necessary (if they were more confident in their product and transparent with fans, but still).

Once you rip open that box, that's on you, as far as they are concerned.

I didn't want this to be yet another complaint thread, rather an educational one. We're playing the waiting game until release. If Hasbro suddenly releases a bunch of information maybe it won't even be necessary.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » May 10th, 2021, 2:08 pm

Shadzar wrote:Also how does one even put pictures on this silly forum? Every time i try i cant figure out where to do so, because i have a new "camera" for minis, and it aint the best, but it can take some pics of things, IF HQ ever ships.

All i can figure out how to do is to host and hotlink images from other places. :?

From the {RULES} section (linked from the top panel):

2. Attachments
    i. Attaching Images
    Storage space is limited. We would like to save as much space as possible for download-able content on the Homepage. As such, it is preferred that images be hosted on an images hosting service and linked-to in posts via the [URL] or [IMG] tags.

If an image file (png, jpg, gif, etc) is attached to a post for viewing purposes, (e.g. pictures of painted miniatures), and not for downloading, (e.g. tiles and game cards) all images for viewing must be at screen resolution. (re-sized to 72pdi) Screen resolution saves on storage space and the images will load faster.

So I think what you are looking for is the Upload attachment tab. It is found under the window where you make your post (just below and to the left of the Save draft/Preview/Submit buttons.)
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Shadzar » May 11th, 2021, 6:26 am

Daedalus wrote:So I think what you are looking for is the Upload attachment tab.

Then i shall keep hotlinking to otherwise hosted images if/when the new game comes out if any of the images prove useful, when Kurgan makes the ITS HERE thread for unboxings... unless it will be this thread.. wherever. its late. i havent slept.. i will figure it out if/when the game releases. :)
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » October 7th, 2021, 12:05 am

Looks like a few things have been answered with recent pictures:

Some of the furniture is Gray, the rest is Brown (not necessarily matching the original colors of the classic set though).

The character figures come pre-assembled, packed in a kind of thin plastic (I would call it "throw-away") holder with holes molded to fit each piece, looking like the type holds holiday candy. Unknown if this is the way they are included in the final version.

Recent photos and jokes on Twitter indicate the dice have straight ("sharp") corners like your typical commercial board game dice, as opposed to the rounded corners shown in the digital concepts (including the teaser trailer). Pictures show the red movement dice with white pips.

The female Heroes are all red, just like the male Heroes.

The "extra" figures are most likely all Gray (unconfirmed if the "Mentor" figure is red, but probably is if he's considered a Hero replacement), judging by the example of the Dragon.

The Mythic tier "unlocks" are all placed in new third small box, apparently, including "acid tiles" that need to be punched out, and a large room tile representing a tavern as part of Joe's quest book that contains 10 quests (implying the other new quest books may have this same number, but this is speculation).

Then again, some things can always change, and game/toy boxes since the 80's have always said "actual colors may vary" in from what's shown on the box (that's why we loved those "flip open see-through windows" on many fancier toys if not the clear plastic bubbles of smaller items), so still attention to detail is warranted from any would-be unboxers. Hasbro notified via email that they would begin shipping to pledgers in "late October", sooner than the November most of us were guessing.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby FainFlynn » October 20th, 2021, 9:11 am

Quick question for everyone. I am one of the unboxing volunteers, however, I must admit - I have never streamed live or uploaded to Youtube. Terrible, I know.

I do have an iPhone 13 Pro, and a stand. And, I have a webcam for work.

Suggestions for what platform or equipment I may need to make this good for all of you? And be more detailed in your responses than you think you need to be. Assume I know nothing of the tech, which I probably don't.
FainFlynn

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion