• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: Thoughts on the New Orc Bard Hero?

Postby Sotiris » Thursday November 12th, 2020 2:07pm

I'm not aware of what mini or class is now, just the mechanics.
I want to test their skills and how it rolls in the dungeon.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » Thursday November 12th, 2020 5:42pm

I'm saying you could basically play the Bard as a Cleric. all the abilities are the same, just change the text/and or mini. It's salvageable ;)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » Thursday November 12th, 2020 5:51pm

You could say the Bard was a Human or Half Elf but was polymorphed by a Chaos Wizard into an orc
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Thursday November 12th, 2020 6:30pm

"Arrr!! I be a scurvy dog of the high seas, Garbog be me name and killin' was me game!

Yes, I salty wretch follow that ol' demon dawg Zargon...fightin' for the chaos! Till one bright day me hearties I saw thee light! Burnin' and stealin' then Garbog think... what good it be to rule thee world if there be nobody left 'live or sane in it to rule???

Then me thinks, Garbog, me lad, thou be in the wrong tub! Time to jump ship, find thee true way! So I jump o'board with nothin' but me green skin and trusty steel.
Swam far, ate shark (not bad)... sea gulls only friends. One day, arrived on ye island of monks and forsake ye ways of chaos dawgs! Monks teach ol' Garbog tools of healin' and blessin'.

Changed me life, savvy?
Now Garborg walk path of thee righteous, brothers. Who needs the healin'? Don't be shy!"

The Cleric's Unique Weapon:

Holy Staff

This ornate metal staff allows you to roll 2 Attack dice and may be used to attack diagonally. May not be used by the wizard. 250 gold coins

You are the Cleric. Your spirit and piety inspire and invigorate your allies. You prefer to stay light on your feet so when you are wearing a Cloak and carrying no shield you have 1 extra Defend die.

Battle Blessing

This spell may be cast on any one Hero, excluding yourself. The next time that Hero attacks, they may roll one extra combat die. Regain this spell when any Hero you can “see,” excluding yourself, rolls two white shields when rolling Defend dice.

Healing Sight

You and each hero you can “see” each restore up to two Body points that have been lost but does not give a hero more than their starting number.

Word of Smiting

This spell puts one enemy into a deep sleep so they cannot move, attack, or defend themselves. The spell can be broken at once or on a future turn by the enemy rolling one red die for each of their Mind points. If a 6 is rolled the spell is broken. May not be used against Mummies, Zombies, or Skeletons.

For the figure, for now, take a single facial tissue (kleenex and wrap it around the figure's body, carefully affixing it with a piece of adhesive tape (or small piece of string for added realism). A skewer, toothpick, hairpin or drink stirrer may play the part of a staff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on Friday November 13th, 2020 6:31pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » Friday November 13th, 2020 2:48am

cynthialee wrote:You could say the Bard was a Human or Half Elf but was polymorphed by a Chaos Wizard into an orc

You could do that for a one-off character, but it won’t work for a whole Hero class. When your singing Orc dies and needs replacing, you’ll have to bump into another human that was polymorphed into an orc. And when that one dies, you’ll have to meet a half Elf that was polymorphed into an orc...
At what point do we decide that an Orc bard is just a dumb ideal for a Hero in our game, no matter which way we try to spin it? It might work as a jokey one-off NPC, but it’s a completely wasted opportunity from Hasbro considering that we could have had 3 or 4 new Hero classes and ended it up only 1 that can be used multiple times as a concept class, and even that one has that awful yoga mum mini that we would have to replace.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » Friday November 13th, 2020 4:43am

"Arrr! Didn't ye hear? Me whole old crew came ashore 'n' joined me! Now they be trained in thee ways of healin' and adventurin' for thee righteous!"

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Pancho » Friday November 13th, 2020 8:02am

Kurgan wrote:"Arrr! Didn't ye hear? Me whole old crew came ashore 'n' joined me! Now they be trained in thee ways of healin' and adventurin' for thee righteous!"

:lol: .
Seriously though, I think your approach is better. Scrapping the concept and making it into a Cleric, or perhaps a human bard. Changing the starting weapons and spells to make it a coherent, believable Hero class. Basically doing the work that Hasbro should of done in the first place.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby ajjohnsen » Friday November 13th, 2020 9:14am

Pancho wrote:
Kurgan wrote:"Arrr! Didn't ye hear? Me whole old crew came ashore 'n' joined me! Now they be trained in thee ways of healin' and adventurin' for thee righteous!"

:lol: .
Seriously though, I think your approach is better. Scrapping the concept and making it into a Cleric, or perhaps a human bard. Changing the starting weapons and spells to make it a coherent, believable Hero class. Basically doing the work that Hasbro should of done in the first place.

I personally feel like the guest "creators" ported their favorite or current DnD characters into this game. I believe it was even said that the "creators" made the design and look of the character while someone else did the mechanics/spells

It's rather obvious the same person did the mechanics for all 3 since they all follow the same pattern of 1 really good spell and a way to get it back plus 2 other not as good spells

I'm aware the Orc Bard is a point of contention, almost like discussing politics or religion at work lol, but no amount of argument or reason or backstory in a quest book will ever let me accept the atrocity of this character. Maybe they could've had an Orc Bard that worked somehow, but the artistry of him is just plain terrible. HIs foot up the same way as the barbarian, the pirate look and feather cap and the hand over his heart while singing is just too much campiness for me

It feels like they did it because no one would ever expect it and I hate that mentality...people wouldn't expect it because it sucks and it doesn't fit the mold you're pouring into

Rewards:
ajjohnsen

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby cornixt » Friday November 13th, 2020 11:19am

Pancho wrote:and even that one has that awful yoga mum mini that we would have to replace.

I've never seen anyone doing yoga while wearing leaves. Did you not see the update?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Pancho » Friday November 13th, 2020 2:27pm

cornixt wrote:
Pancho wrote:and even that one has that awful yoga mum mini that we would have to replace.

I've never seen anyone doing yoga while wearing leaves. Did you not see the update?

I did see it, and it is an improvement. I think they got rid of the tree trunk, sports bra and yoga pants if I remember correctly? Its not a model that I would ever use in my games, but I’ll happily give credit where it’s due and say that the designer listened to feedback and made some positive changes. I think I called it Yoga mum because somebody else used the term and I found it pretty funny. I usually call her Extinction Rebellion Druid, which isn’t as good a name but probably fits better with the current design.

Rewards:
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items