• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Thoughts on the New Druid Hero?

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Thoughts on the New Druid Hero?

Postby lestodante » October 18th, 2020, 11:14 am

So, as we did for the Warlock, here is the Druid topic to expose your doubts and discuss about this new character from the forthcoming new HeroQuest release.

Nikki Dawes wrote:When I was asked to create the druid character, I knew I wanted to start with a succulent. They are hardy, drought-resistant plants, which I thought was a good fit for a strong and battle-ready character. I also wanted to keep a lot of rounded shapes in the overall design to contrast with other characters. I included this with the way her hair wraps around the succulent headpiece, the rounded forms of the braid itself, the curved lines of her body markings, and her soft body shape. I also wanted to keep her clothing simple and something that she could quickly move around in, so I actually based her simple leather top and bottoms on gym clothes (with some fancy leaf adornments).

"You are the Druid, a woodland guardian and healer. You are a powerful physical combatant while using your Shapeshift spell but you can be weak when your resources are depleted. A Druid hero may not wear metal armor."

Doug Hopkins wrote:In popular culture, druids are known to cast nature spells, heal and defend their allies in the form of savage beasts. Nikki Dawes’s art features a tiger-like arm and claws, which inspired me to endow this new hero with a shapeshifting spell. I want our Druid to be situationally comparable in power to the Barbarian, but at the cost of their action economy and resources. I’m continuing to explore the idea that there is a condition that would allow you to recover a spell – for example, Shapeshift for this hero – that you have already cast.

The Druid has comparable statistics to the Elf. They can use most weapons in the game but their armor is limited. They will rely of their own spells and the spells of their allies to keep them healthy.
The illustrations above are the game art for the Druid’s three spells:

• Shapeshift
Shapeshift grants you 1 extra Attack and Defend dice. The spell is broken when the hero suffers 1 point of Body damage. Regain this spell when your Body Points return to their starting number.

• Pixie
This spell conjures up a Pixie who will do one of the following: Restore up to two Body points that have been lost to one hero or search. The Pixie will reveal all traps and secret doors in any location you can "see."

• Lifeforce
This spell may be cast on any one hero, including yourself. Its magical power will immediately restore up to 4 lost Body Points, but it does not give a hero more than their starting number.

The idea here is that the Druid can fulfil a melee protector role in their quest with the use of their Shapeshift spell. Hopefully they can regain this spell with a combination of spells, potions, and teamwork.

Custom UK version of the Druid spells:
Last edited by lestodante on October 18th, 2020, 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Thoughts on the New Druid Hero?

Postby Kurgan » October 18th, 2020, 11:20 am

The miniature design looks improved from the original "90's workout clothes" figure that was posted previously.

I would give "Pixie" to the Warlock, since she's basically a Ranger. My Ranger (based on HeroQuest II: Legacy of Sorasil PC game) had an extra "special search" skill card similar to the above (without the heal option).

There is a problem as someone mentioned in the main thread about "Spell stacking" with Shapeshift (in the original wording). You can't use Shapeshift on another Hero? This Hero needs another weapon fast! She's only got a dagger (1 HP) so having to use a spell to use 2 (even if its rechargeable) is pretty weak.

Nice conversion, by the way!

To me though, I'd rather give the custom made "Forest Spells" that Ethica created (featured on the Inn custom cards section) over these... (pick 3)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Orc26 » October 18th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Has anyone else commented on the horrible wording/grammer/editing of the text on the pixie spell?
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby Orc26 » October 18th, 2020, 2:54 pm

So a few quick questions about things the druid can equip.
-Shields? (I've heard of all wooden shields, the picture in the US armory definitely contains metal.
-Helmets? (This is probably a no... actually now that I'm typing my thoughts I'm feeling dumb for including it.)
-Bracers from the non US sets? (May also count as metal... but the card says only Wizard, and the druid doesn't have her own breaking the rule line like the warlock.)
-Spell Ring? (Card says only Elf and Wizard, and the druid doesn't have her own breaking the rule line like the warlock.)
-Wand of Magic? (Card says only Elf and Wizard, and the druid doesn't have her own breaking the rule line like the warlock.)
-Wizards cloak? (Card says only Wizard, and the druid doesn't have her own breaking the rule line like the warlock.)
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby Goblin-King » October 18th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Orc26 wrote:So a few quick questions about things the druid can equip.
-Shields? (I've heard of all wooden shields, the picture in the US armory definitely contains metal.
-Helmets? (This is probably a no... actually now that I'm typing my thoughts I'm feeling dumb for including it.)
-Bracers from the non US sets? (May also count as metal... but the card says only Wizard, and the druid doesn't have her own breaking the rule line like the warlock.)
-Spell Ring? (Card says only Elf and Wizard, and the druid doesn't have her own breaking the rule line like the warlock.)
-Wand of Magic? (Card says only Elf and Wizard, and the druid doesn't have her own breaking the rule line like the warlock.)
-Wizards cloak? (Card says only Wizard, and the druid doesn't have her own breaking the rule line like the warlock.)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of having to judge whether she can wear a particular piece of equipment or not.
Will equipment be qualified as "metal"?
Will we have to look at the artwork? Then we are back to the Borin's Armour + Helmet debate...

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » October 18th, 2020, 5:34 pm

If this were D&D we'd have our studded leather armor. If this were Phantasy Star, we'd have ceramic armor. But it's Hero Quest, so we've got metal and only one instance of "not-metal."

The only piece of armor that isn't metal is the Cloak. We have not yet had official confirmation that the non-USA requirement pieces (Cloak of Protection, Bracers, Hand Axe, Spear) will be available in this edition... but without that there would be no armor. The Shield is metal and wood. The Helmet is metal. Chain mail and Plate Mail are metal.

I doubt they're going with the EU version rule wherein (apparently) Borin's Armor (and the magical swords) could be used by the Wizard, even so.. those are metal.

So I would say "Cloak." Now the Wizard's Cloak is an artifact, not a piece of equipment, but if you're going to give it to this character, then the Wizard doesn't get it...

So some clarification would be nice! The wrong way to resolve this issue would be to introduce a piece of equipment that "only the Druid can purchase" which serves as armor. Instead, just raise the price of the Cloak (so it doesn't render the Chain mail irrelevant for the other heroes). Or you could make it so that only the Wizard/Druid/Warlock can wear it, I suppose.

Borin's Armor is just meant to be a magic breastplate, otherwise it's weaker than Plate Mail (despite being defined as magical plate) and there's no benefit to having it vs. having chainmail + helmet. The EU version says it brings your base defense up to 4 combat dice. The US version says it adds 2 extra. Either way, it doesn't slow you down (like regular plate). It explicitly can't be used by the Wizard in the NA (upon which the Remake claims to be based) version. So I expect it will still be off-limits to these two new Heroes (Druid and Warlock).

The whole concept of Equipment cards (instead of just an armory board) is an EU concept. So the question is... what cards are included in this deck?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » October 18th, 2020, 5:40 pm

Does somebody with Twitter want to "Tweet" a question to Hasbro/Avalon about this? What equipment cards can we expect in this edition?

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Orc26 » October 18th, 2020, 6:33 pm

So as I'm seeing things,the druid gets zero armor options (right now). At this point I can think of no good reason to not get her a battle axe as fast as possible.

On to the next question
Can she shape change and shoot 4 dice crossbow bolts?
(I feel like this against the spirit of the card, but it follows the rules right?)
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » October 18th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Where does it say the Druid is limited with weapons usage (that's the Warlock, remember)? Give her a Battle Axe, that's 5 combat dice, and she can have that 4 dice crossbow too. Spirit Blade will be 4 normally, and 5 vs. Undead. Orc's Bane will be double 3 dice attacks against Orcs. As long as she doesn't get damaged, that's how I'd play it.

And yes, you can stack Potion of Strength, Heroic Brew, Courage (from another player) and this Spell together. No reason not to. Hell, cast Rock Skin on her too. If your Heroes are willing to do it, then it will happen.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Orc26 » October 19th, 2020, 7:14 am

I was just double checking that changing into a bear/person/thing made her better at shooting crossbows... because I feel like that is a little bit off from how they wanted the spell to work.
Orc26

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Next

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items