• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Gatch » Monday November 15th, 2021 3:47pm

My brother and I agreed we should play a campaign with each other. We're planning on playing the game with our family come Thanksgiving; our niece and nephews wouldn't be born for several years when the game first went out of print, so this will be their first ever experience with the game. We think this would be right up their alley, but more importantly, even if all we do is the core game and nothing else, I hope we'll create memories that will last for years to come.
Gatch

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Cael Darkhollow » Monday November 15th, 2021 3:50pm

Ok I did a test run of the App first quest The Trial against the gargoyle. Pretty cool. Voice acting ain't bad. thematic music, colors and graphics are cool. Everything I expected I suppose. You would need at least dice to actually play it, or you could crack out your board game for full on solo play. However the turns, damage, movement amounts, searching etc., are totally up to you so it isn't a video game, it is a tutorial. You can say when it is Zargon's turn, when monsters have been defeated, if you got hurt etc. It updates the board conditions only (rooms/area revealed, monster movements...if you let zargon have turns that is)

If only there were roll randomizers on screen for movement and combat, then it would be portable HeroQuest where you could actually play it on your phone.

Now if we could somehow have the vintage original game look (and actual gameplay) I would be over the moon.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Monday November 15th, 2021 3:52pm

Interesting, so they aren't just giving the game away for free then (I figured not, since it wouldn't have the homebrew content), with the dice missing (odd, I would have assumed the dice were there but not the character sheet not the other way around). Of course we all know you CAN play with standard d6's (count 6 as black shield, 4-5 as white shield, 1-3 as skulls, for example) although it isn't as pretty.

Ah yes, Thanksgiving will be a perfect time for many of us to break out (and break in) our new games. Pity the rest of the world may have to wait for Christmas... (Or the day after Valentine's Day) to experience it (great gift for your sweetheart? Sorry those furniture pieces are not made of chocolate).

Actually that would be a golden opportunity marketing ploy (didn't Reaper release some "gummi minis" at some point? might have been a joke post).

Oops, so Amazon said January 15, not Feb. Interesting. It still says Zargon so I'm guessing no last minute update to make it region-classic for UK players (Morcar, old rules, etc... it would involve reprinting most/all of the cards too). darn
Last edited by Kurgan on Monday November 15th, 2021 4:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Doomguard
Doomguard

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Knight hero sold separately... that was fast!

Postby Kurgan » Monday November 15th, 2021 4:02pm

Annnnd we'll be able to buy JUST the "Guardian Knight" expansion for $15 (pre-order) again through Gamestop, this time US

Sorry I doubted you, Reddit person...

So the female knight is righty and the male knight is a southpaw. Wish they had helmets...

So this is progress, I am glad they're releasing it like this instead of twisting people into buying ANOTHER game system to get these extras.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurgan on Monday November 15th, 2021 4:17pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Doomguard
Doomguard

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Cael Darkhollow » Monday November 15th, 2021 4:09pm

I also ordered a couple of the Gamestop preorder figures for $15 bucks each plus tax. Why not I suppose. Says expected Nov. 30th-Dec. 3rd.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Knight hero sold separately... that was fast!

Postby Kurgan » Monday November 15th, 2021 4:11pm

That's pretty quick. Makes me wonder if people snap this up they won't release more like this in the future... that could be good or bad depending upon how you look at it.

Hasro, now you know what you need to do... call up GamesWorkShop and MAKE THAT DEAL... let's get that Chaos Warrior/Warlock and Fimir expansion this game needs!
Last edited by Kurgan on Monday November 15th, 2021 4:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Doomguard
Doomguard

Hero:
Usergroups:

Re: Companion App is out and free?

Postby Kurgan » Monday November 15th, 2021 4:15pm

I see the app has some new art that might be right at home on cards...

I guess I could try running the app off the (super slow) bluestacks emulator on my desktop.

The art depicts the "Knights" (simply called "Knight" not "Guardian Knight" on the digital card art) as wearing fur, capes and scale mail and wielding kite (?) shields similar to those depicted on the Weapons Rack with a lion head symbol. To me those look like broadswords in their hands (HQ style of course). They're heroic red of course.

So I guess the character is called "Commander of the Guardian Knights" but the actual hero is "Knight." A bit like how Mentor was the character but the actual hero was just (alternate) "Wizard" ?
"Powerful Warrior - Barbarian"
"Master of Arcade Magic - Wizard"
"Quaffer of Stout and Fine Ales - Dwarf"
"Foppish Dandy - Elf"
"Evil Hobbit Girl - Warlock"
"Combat Tinkerbell - Druid"
"Pirate Minstrel - Bard"
??
Last edited by Kurgan on Monday November 15th, 2021 4:53pm, edited 6 times in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Doomguard
Doomguard

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Blayze » Monday November 15th, 2021 4:30pm

Imagine if they'd dropped all this news at PulseCon.
Blayze

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Postby Gatch » Monday November 15th, 2021 4:32pm

My brother plans on deliberately putting the app into a situation where you literally run out of closed doors and other pieces to put down, just to see what happens. He's wondering how the Zargon app would even react to such a scenario. He wants to see if he can break this app, or if the app will even acknowledge that he literally ran out of doors to use.
Gatch

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » Monday November 15th, 2021 4:45pm

Very nice... of course they ought to have stress tested it, but it sounds like it may have some bugs, so send them that helpful feedback!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Doomguard
Doomguard

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext