• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby elvyler » November 15th, 2021, 8:58 am

Pancho wrote:Also, why does a Knight Hero need to come with 12 cards? I’m predicting another unnecessary crappy spin off like the other 3 bonus Heroes.

The description on that page says something about unique Knight skills, so they must be some kind of skill card King of like the spell cards for the wizard and elf.
elvyler

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Kurgan » November 15th, 2021, 9:02 am

Via Shadzar's video...

So with the body points of a Dwarf and mind points of a Barbarian. I'm betting those 10 cards (2 hero cards, one for male and female) are like the combat cards where you draw an ability... or maybe purchase them with gold? At first I thought 12 cards like 12 merc cards but with only 2 figures that wouldn't have worked (the mercs in BQP had only 2 body points, imagine how expensive a 7 BP merc would cost?).

But it's like a new hero, not just a merc. Will there be instructions on how to use them or just another bolt on hero like the Druid and Warlock for the Mythic tier?

Store exclusives are annoying. I guess it's not just an alternate cover or purely aesthetic change so they put a little effort into it (not a pure cash grab). Most potential customers will not be able to own the Mythic tier, so this is their compensation BUT...

They are making it limited edition? Great, another scalper friendly release, that's not a good thing. I'm not jealous, just annoyed that they're actively feeding that aspect of things.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Pancho » November 15th, 2021, 9:24 am

elvyler wrote:
Pancho wrote:Also, why does a Knight Hero need to come with 12 cards? I’m predicting another unnecessary crappy spin off like the other 3 bonus Heroes.

The description on that page says something about unique Knight skills, so they must be some kind of skill card King of like the spell cards for the wizard and elf.

Yeah I get that, I’m just questioning why 12 cards. The wizard only gets 9 spell cards, the barbarian doesn’t get any skill cards. Why would a knight suddenly get 12 skills to use? This is what critics refer to as “bloat”. Who cares about glaring inconsistencies when a company can make a quick bit of cash from excitable fans?

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » November 15th, 2021, 9:46 am

We don't (yet) know what what it means.

I'm assuming 2 of those cards are just the hero cards. That leaves 10. Do two knights get to play (replacing 2 heroes) or just one? Or is this going to be where they don't give any clear instructions on how to use them in existing quests? (probably)

I'm betting it's a case of this a pool of skills/powers to draw from. Perhaps they get to pick a number of them. How I would do it is use them like combat cards... each quest they get to draw 2 (or possibly 3) to use in the game. Now this character starts with armor and already has as many BP as a Dwarf, so that's going to be pretty powerful depending upon what these skills are. Are they permanent abilities for the quest or single use skills (like a "spell")? Imagine like a stronger blow or dodge enemy attack, sacrificial save, recover from wounds, that kind of thing. But that's pure speculation on my part.

Maybe it will be like the other new heroes who get 3 spells, and this is a pool to draw from. I doubt they'll let you use all 10 in a quest, but again, who knows.
Last edited by Kurgan on November 15th, 2021, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Blayze » November 15th, 2021, 9:48 am

Pancho wrote:
elvyler wrote:

Yeah I get that, I’m just questioning why 12 cards. The wizard only gets 9 spell cards, the barbarian doesn’t get any skill cards. Why would a knight suddenly get 12 skills to use? This is what critics refer to as “bloat”. Who cares about glaring inconsistencies when a company can make a quick bit of cash from excitable fans?

I'm guessing either extra equipment cards (maybe they have a type of shield only they can use) and/or they get to choose their combat abilities from a selection.
Blayze

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Darkfox190 » November 15th, 2021, 9:49 am

Pancho wrote:
elvyler wrote:

12 cards with two hero cards, so 10 other cards. The page says "3 unique powers and knight skills" so we could see 3 cards for the "unique powers" and then maybe a variety of skills for the other 7 cards, or that 7 could be items, equipment, new artifacts, etc. Also, it doesn't necessarily mean this new Knight hero will have access to the full list of abilities every quest, as it could be like the Elf and Wizard, where they pick a subset from a larger selection. If it works that way, the Wizard has access to 12 spell cards in comparison, so still more variety in abilities even if all 10 remaining cards in this set are skills.
Darkfox190

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » November 15th, 2021, 9:59 am

Good catch... so 3 spells and some number of other powers? Maybe it's half and half. 5 spells/5 skills? Or perhaps they have fixed 3 spells and 7 skills to choose from to use in a quest?

Maybe on the Knight's turn he can use one of his 3 spells OR draw a random card from the "skill" pile? That's still pretty powerful, depending upon what they are (I'm guessing single use combat cards akin to the ones available at the Inn, as I imagine it).

Then again like you say it could be anything. If they follow past precedents, maybe there is a Shortsword and Shield Equipment card (dupes, since the GS already has 1 shortsword and 3 shields if I recall correctly) in there so that narrows it down even more (2 hero cards, 3 guardian knight spells, 2 equipment cards... 5 guardian knight skill cards?).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Darkfox190 » November 15th, 2021, 10:08 am

Kurgan wrote:Good catch... so 3 spells and some number of other powers? Maybe it's half and half. 5 spells/5 skills? Or perhaps they have fixed 3 spells and 7 skills to choose from to use in a quest?

Maybe on the Knight's turn he can use one of his 3 spells OR draw a random card from the "skill" pile? That's still pretty powerful, depending upon what they are (I'm guessing single use combat cards akin to the ones available at the Inn, as I imagine it).

Then again like you say it could be anything. If they follow past precedents, maybe there is a Shortsword and Shield Equipment card (dupes, since the GS already has 1 shortsword and 3 shields if I recall correctly) in there so that narrows it down even more (2 hero cards, 3 guardian knight spells, 2 equipment cards... 5 guardian knight skill cards?).

You know, thinking about it, I could see their 3 spell cards having a random component. Do X, then draw a card for a random buff or something of the sort.
Darkfox190

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » November 15th, 2021, 10:24 am

Yeah Darkfox190, that would make the most sense to me, and for reference on the Equipment dupes thing, recall that they actually had a "dagger" Equipment card to pack in with the Druid hero in Mythic tier (even though there was already one inside the Game System box).

It is made clear in the new Rulebook that number of cards doesn't limit the available stock of Equipment pieces for purchase in the "Armory" but they seem to want to provide a reference card for everyone, for just about everything.

I've been wrong before, but this seems pretty logical as a plan to manage a character like this. And he or she would be a full blown Hero, not a mercenary for hire or NPC (the strongest of those we've seen yet is the SPOILERS... goblin who uses gargoyle stats in Prophecy of Telor, SPOILERS).

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Blayze » November 15th, 2021, 10:54 am

Kurgan wrote:It is made clear in the new Rulebook that number of cards doesn't limit the available stock of Equipment pieces for purchase in the "Armory" but they seem to want to provide a reference card for everyone, for just about everything.

Don't you only get one each of Chainmail, Platemail and the Toolkit, though? Seems like strange things not to print enough of for a full party, especially in a version where you're expected to do things like mix-and-match characters.
Then again, you also apparently only get three copies of Helmet and Shield, so who knows?
Blayze

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion