• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Discuss general topics relating to HeroQuest that don't fit well in the categories below.

Re: Heroquest remake by Hasbro - The BIG discussion thread

Postby Kurgan » December 25th, 2020, 4:48 am

Oswald, the Porter Class: Maybe he has higher defense because of all that stuff that is in the way of attacks? He can also drop heavy things on the toes of the enemy at close range, perhaps...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Oftkilted » December 25th, 2020, 9:17 am

Kurgan wrote:Oswald, the Porter Class: Maybe he has higher defense because of all that stuff that is in the way of attacks? He can also drop heavy things on the toes of the enemy at close range, perhaps...

Maybe a bonus depending on how much stuff they’re carrying? All that junk gets hit not them? But it then could damage the equipment?
Oftkilted

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Kurgan » December 28th, 2020, 6:13 pm

Here is your Tool Kit, m'lord... 'tis a bit broken, though...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Shadzar » December 28th, 2020, 7:22 pm

there was discussion of the world of HQ itself here in the past. cant find it, but maybe someone else nows an exact thread that discussed the world itself of the old version since this news jsut dropped on old WH world...

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/47238/games-workshop-teases-warhammer-the-old-world-factions

I am pretty sure this will NOT be the world of newHQ

but how close is it to the world of oldHQ?
Shadzar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:

Postby Pancho » December 29th, 2020, 4:45 am

Here you go viewtopic.php?f=143&t=3552&p=73039&hilit=Cartography#p73039

The Warhammer world and the HQ world are clearly the same thing. The Empire, World Edge Mountains, Sea of Claws, Athel Loren, Black Fire Pass and Karak Varn and many others are all shown on the Warhammer maps.

But Hasbro have no interest in any of that. It’s pretty clear to me that the new owners/designers never played Heroquest or have any love for the old game. I have my doubts that they ever played Warhammer Fantasy either. It’s all a great shame really, but obviously can’t be helped now.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » December 30th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Similar... not necessarily exactly the same. Meaning if something is put into Warhammer, but not HQ, its not necessarily canon. ;) :geek:

Wait a minute, the source that says they're not the same is a novel.. which itself may not be "canon" so maybe it IS canon? :ugeek:

My headcanon map of the HQ world includes what we see in both the ROTWL EU map and the Japanese Game System map even though I'm playing the NA version.

Releasing the remake in EU fashion would only require a new instruction rule book and alternate quest books (original 14, KK & ROTWL), but the Japan system would have some unique artifacts too (and Heal Potions as equipment), and the monster cards would have bounties printed on them. ;)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kurgan » January 9th, 2021, 6:24 pm

I for one am excited to see a fan-made conversion kit (so to speak) to of the 2021 remake to "EU-ize" it. Even though I grew up with the NA version, EU players won't get the same nostalgia kit without it!

Obviously the instructions book would be localized, the stats on the Equipment cards would change, and some of the spells too. The Quest book could be fully converted, or just a few name changes (Zargon to Morcar, the Stone Hunter, Wardoz to that name that starts with K which I forget, etc). Artifact cards would change (Talisman of Lore for example). Could be a cool little bit of modding.

So the "EU-ize" mod... and the "Japan-ize" mod. And then the "GM-ized" mod would have figure replacements/modifications for Dread to Chaos Warriors (not much change needed there really, except perhaps to the helmet, as others have pointed out they basically look like WH Chaos Warriors already) and Abominations to Fimirs. The "Dread Sorcerer" already looks like a Chaos Warlock. I figured a little ball of Greenstuff between the "horns" of their helmets would do the trick, painted gray. :fimir: :chaoswarrior:

Then of course the monster cards with them each having 1 body point...

Then there's the De-Magicified Mod, that I volunteer to work on once the assets are available (nobody cares about that but me I know).

The "Mentor" Wizard is getting a mod to make him into Zargon, as far as I'm concerned. Finally I can give him some cool stats. I imagine him being as tough as the barbarian and as smart as the Wizard at the very least. Imagine though if he were actually really weak, spending all his power managing the armies and such, but the little interludes make it sound like he really was powerful in his own right, throwing lighting bolts at the Imperial armies and such. So he's probably loaded with Chaos spells, the ultimate villain, if you will... for some imagined future "final showdown" as others have imagined of course... :twisted:

And the character conversions for the "new" Heroes (Druid needing the least "improvement" in my humble opinion and Orc Bard needing the most). Since the Remake only includes KK & ROTWL with the Game System, there isn't as much to do as there was for Classic HQ.

Should be a good time!

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby j_dean80 » January 9th, 2021, 8:43 pm

I realized something about the new Heroes. The Orc Bard card just says Bard and the Halfling Warlock just says Warlock. So therefore you could make those any race you choose.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Davane » January 9th, 2021, 9:27 pm

Pancho wrote:Here you go viewtopic.php?f=143&t=3552&p=73039&hilit=Cartography#p73039

The Warhammer world and the HQ world are clearly the same thing. The Empire, World Edge Mountains, Sea of Claws, Athel Loren, Black Fire Pass and Karak Varn and many others are all shown on the Warhammer maps.

But Hasbro have no interest in any of that. It’s pretty clear to me that the new owners/designers never played Heroquest or have any love for the old game. I have my doubts that they ever played Warhammer Fantasy either. It’s all a great shame really, but obviously can’t be helped now.

Hasbro has no interest because Hasbro doesn't have the RIGHTS to the Warhammer World. They are going to have to rewrite all the story text in the official expansions for the rerelease. It's not got anything to do with love of the Warhammer Fantasy world.

The Warhammer World itself is a very generic fantasy world, so it can be replaced in broad strokes very easily, and some of the places in are so generically named that they might not need to be changed. If NuHQ comes with a map, it will have to be completely redrawn though (although since the Old World is a loosely-based Europe, only slight adjustments will be needed).

I imagine that the NuHQ world will be as easy to create as it was to change Chaos to Dread, and as such, it's going to be just as easy to reconvert BACK to the Warhammer World.
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Hero:

Postby Pancho » January 10th, 2021, 5:13 am

Davane wrote:
Pancho wrote:Here you go viewtopic.php?f=143&t=3552&p=73039&hilit=Cartography#p73039

Hasbro has no interest because Hasbro doesn't have the RIGHTS to the Warhammer World. They are going to have to rewrite all the story text in the official expansions for the rerelease. It's not got anything to do with love of the Warhammer Fantasy world.

The Warhammer World itself is a very generic fantasy world, so it can be replaced in broad strokes very easily, and some of the places in are so generically named that they might not need to be changed. If NuHQ comes with a map, it will have to be completely redrawn though (although since the Old World is a loosely-based Europe, only slight adjustments will be needed).

I imagine that the NuHQ world will be as easy to create as it was to change Chaos to Dread, and as such, it's going to be just as easy to reconvert BACK to the Warhammer World.

I forgot to edit that post when I realised that it could easily be misunderstood that I was saying Hasbro could keep everything the same as the classic game, especially by those who haven’t read my previous posts. Obviously they had to make some changes.
My view is that they are going to trash the original feel of the game, and have already gone further than just a few name changes (that everyone would have understood and accepted). I had a sinking feeling when I saw the very first video, when it became clear that those marketing men had no real passion for the game and had probably never played it as kids. That feeling grew worse when we finally saw what the new designers were up to with their D&D angle. Ridiculous orc bards etc. It’s clear that the designer of the Spirit Queen expansion had never really played HQ either, given that his intro shows a clear lack of knowledge of Wizards of Morcar and Grawshak the orc shaman. The box cover artwork, which was a big reason why we loved the game in the first place, has also regressed and shows a lack of love/understanding.

I’m not as sure as you that the new quests will be so easy to convert back into the world that we know and love. Hopefully it can be done easily, but if they make orc bards and misunderstood orc allies fundamental to the entire pack, it won’t be coherent with anything previously released.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to General HeroQuest Discussion