• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

UNPUBLISHED HEROQUEST EXPANSIONS

Discuss Miscellaneous HeroQuest Merchandise not fitting into any of the above categories.

Re: UNPUBLISHED HEROQUEST EXPANSIONS

Postby lestodante » February 3rd, 2020, 6:41 pm

But when I read the article I don't see a part when they talk about making a HeroQuest remake.. they just sayd they visiting this guy that own amazing basement and found a box with "unreleased HQ expansions".
But maybe they where just searching for other ideas. They talked about other games too, so not sure their purpose was to restore HQ. Or did I miss something?

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Daedalus » February 6th, 2020, 11:34 am

You got it right--Restoration Games doesn't currently have plans for Hero Quest, though I understand it has been requested a lot and sits prominently on their potential to-do list. Almost certainly the hold ups are legal issues stemming from the Games Workshop/Milton Bradley split-up and the Hero-Quest-name copyright issue.

On the plus side, Hasbro wouldn't simply laugh off a deal offer from Restoration Games as had been done with the Hero Quest 25th Anniversary Edition. Should Restoration Games go forward with the project, they would be sure to do their legal homework first and would already know people inside Hasbro to pitch to.

Also, if the stars were right and a Hero Quest Kickstarter were launched by Restoration Games, participants could be sure to actually get the promised game on a timely schedule . . . unlike that other remake that still hasn't surfaced for how many years now?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » February 6th, 2020, 11:51 am

I know wish I read this earlier.

The only thing I can say is this.....I really hope this comes true.

I'm going to have to follow this more closely from now on.

Daedalus |_P
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » February 10th, 2020, 4:12 pm

The problem there in, lies in the name. Moon Design, I believe, has the trademark of HeroQuest, as they apply it to their Glorantha series. However it's uncertain if they either own the name or just license it from Hasbro. I assume they own it. In essence there is a difference.

If Milton Bradley completely sold the rights to the name, not even they can step up and Champion Restoration Games. However if it was simply a licensing agreement they can stamp that name to whomever they want (depending on the terms of the contract). But since it's been years I'm led to assume complete ownership lies with Moon Design.

However, owning the Trademark HeroQuest cannot prevent Restoration Games from copying the methodology, system gameplay, or even names (Zargon/Morcar) from the original. That, they need permission from Hasbro. If that requirement is met they can pretty much copy the same game (asides from the components provided from Games Workshop) but just publish it under a different name. It would take away the nostalgia aspect, and without the original title in use, they can't really say the games are related.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » February 11th, 2020, 8:44 pm

As I recall from the BoardgGameGeek HeroQuest 25th Edition threads, Moon Design bought the HeroQuest US trademark after Hasbro failed to renew it. Hasbro still owns the trademark in Europe, however. Dionisio from Games Zone Miniatures (located in Spain) bought or licensed the Spanish rights to use HeroQuest in Spain for his planned game. He critically never bothered to ask permission of Moon Design to license the trademark in the US, however. The animosity that followed led to legal issues regarding the US market.

Should Restoration Games ever elect to license the HQ trademark in the US from Moon Design, at least that barrier would be removed. Maybe Restoration Games is waiting for the trademark to lapse again--who knows? Regardless, I expect a Restoration Games remake wouldn't be produced without the Hero Quest name in it, as their other offerings legitimately carry the names of the original games.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » February 20th, 2020, 1:15 am

JCool wrote:. . . But wait, unpublished HeroQuest expansions?! ... I know a lot of us had probably submitted requests to Restoration Games (at least I know I did :) ) to have them take on a "Restored" version of HeroQuest. Could the addition of Mike Gray help make that come to light?? We can always hope. In the meantime I'm sure having Mike on board with Restoration will help them in countless ways. . . .

After reading this I had decided to submit a request to Restoration Games as well:
Daedalus wrote:Please consider including Hero Quest for your release schedule. If you don't mind sharing, what would be the primary legal holdups?

And the response:
Jenn S.
Customer Support Team
Restoration Games wrote:
Justin regularly refers to HeroQuest as "his great white whale". That game in particular has a variety of people involved with it, so the legal holdups are generally just getting the sign off from everyone involved, and then finding anyone else that might pop up later.
And all of that before you even start working on the "Restoration".

So no plans--describing Hero Quest in terms of a nemesis isn't a good sign, to be sure. However, Ahab was obsessed with defeating that nemesis, so Justin (the full-time owner) still hasn't given up on the prize. Call me Ishmael.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:

Postby JCool » February 24th, 2020, 8:43 am

And the response:
Jenn S.
Customer Support Team
Restoration Games wrote:
Justin regularly refers to HeroQuest as "his great white whale". That game in particular has a variety of people involved with it, so the legal holdups are generally just getting the sign off from everyone involved, and then finding anyone else that might pop up later.
And all of that before you even start working on the "Restoration".

So no plans--describing Hero Quest in terms of a nemesis isn't a good sign, to be sure. However, Ahab was obsessed with defeating that nemesis, so Justin (the full-time owner) still hasn't given up on the prize. Call me Ishmael.

It's good that the game is at least on their radar. Kinda nice too that they haven't cracked it yet, proves just how solid the original game is! That said, I'm sure we'd all like to see what the crew at Restoration Games could come up with. Who knows, maybe one day we'll catch that whale :)
JCool

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:

Postby Pancho » February 24th, 2020, 9:18 am

I'm trying to remember my Melville. It all worked out alright for Ahab and his crew in the end, right?

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » February 24th, 2020, 9:28 am

Pancho wrote:I'm trying to remember my Melville. It all worked out alright for Ahab and his crew in the end, right?

Lol, Ishmael was the only survivor! Him and the whale, of course.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby lestodante » June 27th, 2020, 7:33 am

That guy from boardgamegeek that owns the unreleased expansion (Wizard/Dwarf Quest Pack) after long time of waiting has finally posted some photos of the unreleased stuff he has on the facebook group!
Link here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/officialheroquest
So they really seems to be some kind of demo stuff, in my opinion the qualtiy of the sculpts is not so good, they look more like children toys than miniatures.
There are a male and female dwarf (with hammer and with club) a skaven, a minotaur, a chinese dragon, a golem, a sabretooth, a giant spider and one strange figure looking like a small rhino-dragon.
The sabretooth is the only good figure for my tastes while all the others look a bit weird. But ayway they are unreleased official stuff so is a good thing they have been finally shown to the community.
I guess the sculptor stle in the 2 dwarfs is recognizable, he should be the same guy who sculpted the Frozen Horror figure. Just wondering if a female wizard also exists.
I'll ask if I can share all the images here too, but can't resist to post a few here right now...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group MemberParticipated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Yeti
Yeti

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous HeroQuest Items